Project Stream Box S2 Ultra

Yes, I see the advantage of galvanic isolation. And I think you’re eluding to the fact that via Ethernet the Stream Box is fully isolated.
But this only needs to be in-force at the DAC end of the chain in a USB connection.
My Chord Hugo TT2 is fully galvanically isolated via USB, so I’m still wondering what tangible benefits inserting a Stream Box Ultra into the chain will give over my current arrangement.

ok… there are two different things involved here… first, separating the end-point from the server reduces the general electrical noise of the system… you need a kind of powerful computer to manage the data (depending on size of your library and how intensive will your DSP is) but high power means high noise… on the other hand you need very lil power to deliver the data to the DAC, lil power means lil noise, but cannot manage the data the big computer handles… so you see the problem, two jobs at task, each one with opposite requirements regarding the other… Roon solved the problem (and I guess that revolutionary concept is its biggest contribution to hi-end audio) by developing a client-server system that allow us to set apart noise from the server to affect the end point task… having 2 processes with opposite requirements running on the same device is not a good idea… in short, the delivering of the data to the DAC benefits from being done by a low power computer isolated from the server, it means less noise inherent to the data processing mingling in the simple (and delicate) task of delivering the data to the DAC… second, and from the practical point of view, I have HEARD interesting improvements when ALL the RJ45 ports of my switch (Internet, end-point, and server) sport Ethernet isolators…

Thanks for this.
Yes, I understand the importance Roon stresses on separating the core and the ‘endpoint’, preferably via Ethernet to ensure correct isolation. I used to use this arrangement when I was running my Lumin A1 via Ethernet, with my Nucleus on the network.
However, since buying a Chord TT2, I have used the USB connection from the Nucleus directly into the TT2. And it sounds absolutely great.
I’m just wondering if anyone has any direct experience of adding a network bridge into this type of set-up, specifically using a Stream S2, and as to whether this does confer any demonstrable sonic advantages.

I cannot tell you about your specific situation because I did not make any test with that specific setup.

However, I made some tests in my system (Roon ROCK i3 & Qutest) using USB direct connection and Ethernet connection (with galvanic isolators all the way) and using as end-point (now) an SOtM sMS-200 Ultra NEO + proprietary reclocking connection to the SOtM modified switch. All my front-end is running on batteries and totally disconnected from the grid at the moment of listening.
I heard more than interesting improvement over Ethernet.

It is logical to think that this tests is more about the “dripping” of the noise produced by the server than the amount of “taps” of the DAC, since the purpose of the Ethernet connection is to isolate the noise coming from the server so it doesn’t bother the de final delivering over the end-point.

From this standing point of view is important to mention that my Roon ROCK sporting an i3 processor should generate noise equal or less (rather less) than a Nucleus Plus, sporting an i7, if that is the case. Otherwise, the small Nucleus has exactly the same Intel Nuc inside that my ROCK has.

Regarding all these fact I would think an Ethernet connection with the right switch, right Ethernet cables and galvanic isolators and the right end-point, should make an audible difference.

1 Like

Does anyone know how the resampling feature works? Is it an actual upsampling capability?

Thanks

Yes it is an actual upsampling capability. BUT only the settings in the section “Roon playback options” will have an effect when using the Stream of as a Room Endpoint.
Ally other settings apply only to playback from other sources than Roon.

1 Like

Here is a link to another post of mine with more info my Streambox configuration.

Hello Does the Stream Box Ultra support Device Volume in Roon?

No it doesn’t as it’s only a network audio adapter ie a bridge.