Proposition 65 Warning

Hello,

After buying a Nucleus I found a „California Proposition 65 Warning“ lable on the package.

Could you please give me some information on that. What is in there and might harm me in what way?

( I do not intend to eat the nucleus. )

Best regards
Michael

The conventional wisdom is that Nucleii should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees Farenheit before consumption. BUT, do not cook with a microwave oven.

2 Likes

It’s only poisonous to you if you live in California.

5 Likes

Probably not vegan either.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: As a long-time California resident, that’s an excellent example of how the direct popular vote “proposition” system where seemingly “good” proposals are pushed through by advocacy (and lots of advertising) without consideration of longer-term consequences. In this case, those labels everywhere and on everything that has the slightest trace of any substance that has hurt lab mice in huge doses brings chemical safety into disrepute. Besides those labels on just about any consumer durable, you find them in most shops and service businesses, because none of them can do their job without some chemicals. Of course, the same in restaurants and bars that serve alcohol. From something potentially useful in protecting consumers, it became a total joke.

1 Like

And with test subjects only from California, lab mice from Minnesota are safe.

1 Like

If I was a betting man, I’d say there is some lead based solder on the connections somewhere. The NUC board is probably lead free but maybe some of the ancillary connections.

Also any chips that are ball grid arrays are stick down with indium, not sure if that is on the prop 65 list (I don’t generally pay any attention, as I’m still slinging lead based solder).

Sheldon

1 Like

I experimented with lead free solder and the only one I like is made by Kester and it is NOT silver solder and it does leave a nice finish and yes it requires a higher temperature than lead solder.

Whenever I re-certify my solder certification for Boeing every year, leaded solder is used only so as near as I can tell I am only certified to use leaded solder. I’ve only used it twice in ten years, usually to solder in a new Cockpit Voice Recorder microphone which rarely is necessary.

The first clue I got when using lead free solder outside of work was that I couldn’t set the iron at under 400 degrees F and have it melt. I would just as soon avoid further lead at this point as I have no idea how much my bones accumulated it by now.

I had never used Indium but I understand it’s chewable, yes someone either has or will try I’m sure. I know so little about it that I don’t know if it is toxic and if so how much?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.