Psychedelic music?

Hi @danny,
Did you get to see KG&TLW in New York ?

I did, it was fun! Huge amount of audience energy for songs of the last 2 albums… surprising given that the latest had only been out for a month or two.

1 Like

This book (Psychedelia - 101 iconic albums) arrived today. Detailed background (2 pages) for each of the 101 albums listed - initial skim through suggests that this will be worthwhile reading (and listening at the same time of course) for any fan of this genre.

Now … need to check … how many of the 101 albums do i have?

Love all these ideas to hear new stuff.

I didn’t see it here so will add these. I keep coming back to Echoes off of Meddle as my go-to psych rock experience for the trippy sound.

And when it comes to 60s out-of-body distortion in Golden Gate Park so to speak, there’s the good ol’ Liberation from Chicago Transit Authority.

1 Like

101 albums from the book (Psychedelia : 101 Iconic Underground Rock Albums 1966-1970) now in Roon, ordered (using Original recording Date) in same order as they appear in the book. :smiley:

=

3 Likes

One of my favourite kind of music!
I think that nowadays, northern europe is the center of psychedelic music.
Here’s a bunch of great psych group from there (all the images contain youtube links) and there are many more!

From Denmark

From Denmark

From Sweden

Based in Denmark and Sweden but transnational collective

From Sweden

From Germany

Last but obviously not least from Norway Motorpsycho!!

1 Like

From the rest of the world

From USA, If you like guitar with some other guitar and then…more guitar! :grin:

From Croatia

From England

From England

From Belgium (progressive-psychedelic)

From Russia

Experimental-folk-psych from Japan

Took a listen to some of these recommendations;

Chicago Transit Authority - Liberation : starts off with some upbeat chord progressions with trumpets providing a funky feel, before a surprise discordant blast heralds the entry of some sweet acid guitar which continues to build to a frenetic pace with a few tempo changes providing some variation - but then at 9:40 into the track things cease, though the acid guitar lingers and becomes somewhat creepy and deranged, with a strange passage accompanied by what sounds like a piano underwater, with off kazoo like noises joining in and with a trumpet pulling off some riffs to add to the overall tension; a crescendo is reached and a brief silence introduces a final more laid back passage, which soon builds with the introduction of the first proper vocals of the track, before the track ends with a recurrence of the main theme

Papir - III: laid back dreamy echoing guitar work floating on splashing drums with a fairly basic repeating II-I-II-I-II-I chord progression

Causa Sui - Summer Sessions Vol.1 - an album although only 24 minutes in length; begins with a melting pot of various whirly noises before a bass riff introduces a track which has something of a stoner rock feel, but less heavy and with more floating keyboard sounds; quite a repetitive riff with various elements building as things move on, progressing in a similar vein with a few variations

My Brother the Wind - I Wash My Soul in the Stream of Infinity - oddly enough, this begins with a trickling stream providing some background atmos, before a simple repetitive echoey guitar riff is introduced, then accompanied by bass and drums, and then some soft synth to provide some countermelody; quite liking this, but 3 minutes on and little has changed…and so it goes on

Oresund Space Collective - Organic Earthly Floatation - a whole album 53:21 in length; too long to listen to it all now; begins with sweeping filtered synth sounds providing some accompaniment to a repetitive echoey fuzzy guitar riff; bass and drums join…will listen to this later

Bland Bladen - I Grevens Tid - likewise, a full album to listen to later; starts off more uptempo and funky though, with a slight Ozrics feel though with a more standard wahwah guitar sound

Colour Haze - She Said - full album again; starts off nice with wind chimes and some feint windy noises; then with some higher pitched wind chimes introducing a procession of what sounds like tapped fretty guitar chords, bass notes and sparse drums…a hummed melody then joins the proceedings…this is sounding more interesting than the last few entries…soft piano notes then also join; things soon build in intensity though, and some of the mystique is lost to more standard fuzz/stoner rock…shame, but still nice

Motorpsycho - Little Lucid Moments - 2008 album an hour in length; wastes no time launching into an upbeat slightly alternative rock rather than psychedelic sounding track…might check the rest later

Earthless - Rhythms from a Cosmic Sky - foreboding entry of crashing cymbals and frenetic fretwork, after a few minutes giving way to some stoner rock with an acid guitar feel

Lizards Exist - Lizards Exist - laid back reverberated meanderings, some interesting chord changes, some funk elements, nice atonal guitar excursions, liking the start of this

2 Likes

This is a great, reader-curated list with most of the genre’s classic albums and some of the newer ones: https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_albumspsych-x.html
BTW the site, DigitalDreamDoor, is IMO one of the best for music lists.

Wow who made that list? I swear it could have come from a few of my compilation tapes. Kudos!

I recommend anything by 13th Floor Elevators although Easter Everywhere is the best one, this compilation is a must Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965–1968, also Os Mutantes- Os Mutantes or more modern stuff Spacemen 3 - Playing with Fire or Perfect Perscription

1 Like

I’m just getting familiar with Roon and found this topic. I know it been just short of a year since the last post, but hey, who couldn’t use a few more music recommendations. Especially if you’re a fan of Psych/Stoner Rock. It’s been great checking out the albums. So Thanks for that!!!

That said, here are just a few of my faves to throw at you.

1 Like

Love Black Mountain.