Putting Core on SSD

The standard Roon specification for a Windows setup includes a solid-state drive. I may have missed the advice that this was for the music files; I thought it was for the core, and I bought a 256GB SSD for this purpose. Now I find that I can’t install the core on the SSD; it automatically installs in C:

My music is on a Synology NAS (RS214, not one with an Intel processor, so I don’t think I can just do a NAS install). I can’t see any reason to move the music files to the SSD, and I don’t think it would be big enough to hold them. Have I just completely misunderstood the purpose of the SSD?

You are supposed to use the SSD as your OS Drive in a Windows or MAC PC. The SSD is not for the music files.

To use the new SSD, you can, clone the old OS drive onto the SSD, assuming the SSD is equal to or larger than your current OS Drive. However, how to clone and the gotchas involved depend upon the OS and your technical skills.

Or, you can remove your old OS Drive and install the new SSD drive in your computer and reload the OS and all your programs. Assuming you are dedicating the PC to Roon use, should only be the OS and Roon.

In the case of Windows as OS, an SSD makes sense, to be sure. Presumably for other OSes, too. After the OS, other SSDs might well be devoted to the music library; I have done so in order to create a fanless (quiet) server, with little heat and, I think, little chance of interference, compared to spinning drives.

On the other hand, if one has a very large library, SSDs might be too costly.

Thank you for this. The SSD is an external drive connected via USB 3.0, and it’s much smaller than the OS drive (which is 1TB), so I think your suggestions - which I appreciate - are non-starters. I just should have read the instructions more carefully.
Incidentally, I have no plans at this point to dedicate a PC to Roon.

Try running core from your OS drive. It will probably be OK, depends on the size of your music collection.

For a long time, I ran core on an the internal HDD of a crummy i5 Mac Mini.

No need for a dedicated PC.