Qnap app server stopped

Roon Server Machine

QNAP QTS-4.3.6

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I installed Roon server app and specified a folder for data.

It says that Roon server has stopped, and I can not find a way to force it to start.

Has any one an idea.

Thank’s.
Tuncer

Why? Given the low QTS version, this seems to be your TS-470 Pro that already ran RoonServer before. So why install RoonServer again? Did you specify a new folder for RoonServer or a preoccupied one? (Note: It is usually no problem to continue using outdated and unsupported hardware {+ firmware} as long as it works. Changes on such systems should be avoided because there is no more support available if things go wrong or don’t work out.)

??? In my experience software either runs or don’t. If software doesn’t run you have to find out why and resolve the issue if possible. That one can just force software to start without resolving the issue is new to me.

Troubleshoot your issue until you get to the cause of it. Start with the common reboot and consult the logs of your NAS and the RoonServer app. Post more details and the findings of your troubleshooting steps so far should you hope for more/better ideas.

Hi @Tuncer_Yilmaz ,

In case you haven’t seen this yet, the RoonOnNAS website provides install instructions:

https://roononnas.org/en/qnap/

Hi Noris,

Thank you for your input.
Yes i have read the instructions carefully.Actually i have installed Roon previosly and it has worked for me.Now I’ve just reinstalled it.But as you see on the picture,server has stopped.
I know my hardware is meeting the Roon no Nas configuration.
Something is not right,and i don’t know it.

Hi,

200K library.
One year ago i have deleted server on nas.Now i reinstall it.
As you see it stopped

Just guessing, maybe some leftovers on the file system from that earlier installation?

Yes,i guess too,
Deleted previous data,changed locations on 4 discs.
Again not starting!

This is the log from the RoonServer.qpkg – try to grab the actual Roon Server log (too).

grafik

Things you may have to pay attention to:

• Roon usually requires more than just a few MB of RAM.
  • Active VPN connections may be problematic.
  • McAffee may be problematic.
  • Virtual Station and HD Station may eat-up a lot of resources (CPU cycles, RAM).
  • Other media server may interfere with Roon in many ways (MinimServer, XBMC, …)

grafik

The missing database location doesn’t look promising as well. Looks like something already went south when installing/setting-up the RoonServer app on your NAS. Make sure to use the original Admin account when installing the RoonSever app on the NAS (if possible) as AFAIK there is no support for the app on restricted accounts.

Thank’s BlackJack

I’ll try to uninstall some HD station app , as well as minimserver bubble server etc.
Will see what happens
Cheers

Removed some HD apps,changed data directory to external ssd .Not working again and again…
I am asuming that Roon llc has ended supporting Qnap Ts 4.3.6…and thats it.

As they are often warning in their website…new hardware,new software …nuc,rock and so on…

So sorry and sad to finish my subscribtion.

QNAP – RoonOnNAS says

Yes i know …
My QNAP is (TS-470 Pro… x64, i3,16gb)
But in practice it isn’t work !

I suppose @crieke would update the page if it wasn’t correct

If there is a Roon Server log file then you may find the reason why it is not working inside. If there is no log file at all, then I assume that Roon Server already fails to run before it comes to writing a log file (or the log file destination is not writable). Also checking the logs of your NAS might show clues. I would also check the Resource Monitor, maybe Roon Server or other components already(/still) runs (stale) or you may still have insufficient resources available (Hint: I wouldn’t try to run Roon with less than 2GB of free RAM).
In case the RoonServer app should have become incompatible with QTS 4.3.6 then you could also try to run Roon Server in a docker container (unsupported).

That’s correct ‘‘Roon Server already fails to run before it comes to writing a log file’’

Posting unfiltered/uncommented screenshots is possibly not the best way to get good advice.

Your information shows that you chose an external location for Roon Server. It also shows that an external location got reformatted, erasing all information on it in the process. And the available message tells us:

grafik

If the SanDisk Cruzer USB thumb-drive is your chosen location for Roon Server then please note:
A thumb-drive is not an SSD and Roon Labs clearly recommends to use an (actual) SSD as storage for the Roon Server (database). A thumb-drive is not recommended.
IIRC is it recommended (necessary?) to format an USB SSD with the ext3 filesystem to work properly for Roon Server. As in my setup I use internal storage I’m unable to verify that piece of information. Other users may chime in and be able to comment on that.

PS: You know that you may need to start Roon Server from the App Center after you made changes because Roon Server is currently not running?

1 Like

Hi @Tuncer_Yilmaz ,

Are you trying to install RoonServer on a root folder on your QNAP? I recall there were some issues with this, and Roon had to be installed in a subfolder instead. I’d give that a try.

Hi,
Installng in a subfolder don’t make sence.