QNAP - Hanging After Login

Hi @Christian_Chateauvie / @Lukas_Kamb ,

The dev team is still investigating the QNAP protocol issue, but upon further discussion with the team regarding these Cores, I wanted to let you know that both of these Cores do not meet our minimum reccomendations for Roon Cores, and you are likely to have a bad experience using them moving forward:

We will take a look into the protocol issue further on our end but with these Cores not meeting our minimum requirements, we cannot guarantee a stable experience on them, even if the protocol issue is resolved. Please strongly consider using a more powerful Roon Core.

I understand the minimum hardware requirements for running Roon core but my own experience with ”underpowered” QNAP shows me that there’s zero issues running Roon on QNAP with lesser specs than intel i3. 8gb of RAM is necessary though.

Things went wrong with recent Roon update to Linux based cores which affected almost all QNAP cores. Before that there was absolutely zero problems with running Roon on QNAP. So there’s obviously something wrong with the software instead of hardware. Running Roon on Nucleus or similar dedicated powerful server might solve the problem but the problem didn’t even exist before the recent update for Linux based systems. So it seems unreasonable to recommend an expensive hardware solution for a problem which is obviously about software.

I hope you can fix this. Luckily my QNAP now runs ok but after every QTS or Roon update there’s a risk that it falls apart.

2 Likes

Is there an address associated with that error?

As it’s multicast it could be a broadcast conflict with another app installed on the qnap?

@noris was hinting there might be another app listening on TCP:9000. We checked and didn’t find any.
Did you have something different in mind ? I am happy to test out, but I just don’t know what to search for.

Do you need an output of netstat -a for instance ?

Or is it the log file that we’d need to examine further ?

Thanks

I can’t confirm the port binding by another app.
My TS-469 Pro is way out of support and I didn’t change anything at software level for months now.
The only change was the Roon package update this year.

Hi @noris ,

I guess you were refering to these requirements instead ? https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-server-on-nas#What_is_the_ideal_NAS_configuration_for_Roon
I understand your point… but note that I’ve been running Roon 1.6 thru 1.8 with no issues on my QNAP NAS (3GB RAM + DB on SSD) in the past years. Roon 1.7 introduced some performance degradation that Roon 1.8 fixed. You guys promessed an even better performance on same gear with the move away from Mono… well, didn’t work for some of us… and as my NAS has been stable (i.e no updates nor new software installed in the past year) this clearly is a sign to me that the problem seats in your new version.

I am an IT professional and I understand the argument to upgrade HW gear. On the other hand, IT teams should also learn on the concepts of frugality and make better use of resource. Asking for constant technology escalation is not compatible with our era… and I would really like to make a longer use of this NAS.

Is there anything we can further check to help you guys diagnose the issue we’re facing ?

build 898 does not fix the problem

The problem is not fixed on my QNAP either.
But I moved along and installed ROCK as a VM on my Proxmox Server. So far it is working great and the Proxmox Server is not compliant with Roon’s hardware recommendations (two core intel celeron and 3 GB of RAM for the VM). :wink:

build 903 does not fix the problem either. @noris , is this issue still in your developer’s team radar screen ?
Thanks

I believe the Roon Team has declared their statement here. Of course it’s a poor consolation as you had reasonably functional setups, but still; There are perfectly valid reasons for “minimum requirements” though and personally i think Roon’s efforts are better spent elsewhere.

@Mikael_Ollars

The ROON on NAS site from @crieke (https://roononnas.org/en/qnap/) describes the NAS system requirements as

• Intel x64 based QNAP NAS
  • QTS 4.3.x

and clearly states that “If your QNAP NAS meets the requirements, you can use it as your Roon Core.”

Event Roon sites describes on https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-server-on-nas#Which_NAS_devices_are_supported that “Most QNAP, Synology, and Asustor devices with a 64-bit x86 CPU, like Intel or AMD, and at least 2GB RAM are supported”.

Well, it seems this is no longer true then. My NAS, which has been running Roon 1.6 thru 1.8 with no issues until now, and which runs QTS 4.3.4 powered by a dual-core, 4-threaded Intel CPU using 3Gb of Ram no longer works after since Roon 1.8 has moved away from Mono on Linux.

It would be nice to understand what is causing this. I don’t trust that this is a matter of hardware spec but rather think there is a software dependency that is not satisfied.

Some clarification would be welcome…

Roononnas.org is clear with what is recommended, however Roon nowhere states what is SUPPORTED, i agree with you there.

But yes, it could be more clearly stated what is supported and not. I run Roon on Celeron based bare bones occasionally and this works fine, as it also should in your situation.

I also run Roon on my QNAP which is also an older model, but i haven’t seen any of the issues reported here. I run QTS 4.3.6 btw…

Edit: I tried installing Roon QNAP package on my TS-269 Pro with QTS4.3.4 but it doesn’t start for me either. Still, you would be better served with hardware adapted to the need…

Any news if v911 solves the issue?

1 Like

this 911 release does not fix the issue, unfortunately…
I am not sure Roon’s @support team don’t even have it in their radar… at least a doc update would be appreciated…

PS: quite disappointing to be forced to update hw gear even though the current hardware has always been enough and that clearly something broke in the latest versions…

1 Like

roon 918 does not fix the issue…

Would be really needed to get an update of @support on current major QNAP bugs.

Hi @Christian_Chateauvie ,

I was going over the ticket history for your thread and it looks like there were some improvements regarding this issue in a previous release, but it doesn’t sound like it helped in your case.

Can I please ask that you reproduce the issue and upload a manual log set to our logs uploader and let me know afterwards?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Thanks!

Build 923 doesn’t change a thing – Roon still hangs at login. I’ve uploaded the logs as requested. Let me know if there’s anything I can try out for you.

The most recent update went smoothly here. But I’ve had problems with few previous updates so that after the core has been updated to the latest version, I just get the loading jellyfish icon and nothing seems to happen. But I’ve noticed that if I leave the jellyfish icon running overnight, Roon usually works in the morning. So for some reason it just takes ages sometimes when normally everything works well right after the update.

@Christian_Chateauvie have you tried to leave it running with the loading jellyfish icon for a longer time?

I’ve left build 931 hanging for a few hours, to no avail. Issue still there…