QNAP NAS Direct Connected to Meridian 861v8 still drops Roon all the time

Agreed on the switch test - I think that’s our next option to narrow down…

Router is a mare, the ISP’s here don’t let you change routers, so you’re stuck with it. For example you can’t even change your own Wi-Fi password, you have to ask them. Also you have only two of the four ports enabled to prevent too much sharing - people here run a cable over the roof tops to next doo and split the costs…

Ironically I run an ISP here and can’t get my own connection!!!

So, today iMac is core and the music is on the QNAP still or the iMAC?

If that is stable and you don’t hit issues then you know the issue lies elsewhere.

When you run core on the QNAP you don’t put the database on a SSD? AFAIK that is recommended.
That could be an issue if the router and switch are still in play now with iMac core and you don’t get issues.

If you do get issues then it has to be router or switch related.

Is your QNAP busy with anything else ? Web hosting? IPCAM surveillance? anything else real-time ?

So you’re saying theoretically people over there can’t put an unmanaged switch off of one of the ports to share the internet? :slight_smile:

If the router is so “locked down”, I also wonder weather they are limiting traffic speeds in and out the Ethernet ports themselves.

If you have the ability to put the router/modem into Bridge Mode and have your own consumer-grade router, that’ll probably work out better in the long run too.

Hi there - so I upgraded the switch to a grown up one so we can test that. Was stable for the last four days, not one drop out, until this am. Could you take a look at this latest package and let me know if you see anything. 10.45am Nairobi time the last drop out. Lost the 818 end point again. Thanks!

Hi @cmr600,

Glad to hear that there’s been an improvement here with the better switch! I took a look at that timestamp and it seems like your entire network might have gone down for a bit there, you were also having issues with communicating with our servers at that time as well. Can you please keep testing and let me know if it happens again and send logs + timestamp? I wonder if the network is also went down then.

Still dropping end point but only the playing one. Definitely a few times when my iPhone (which has Roon on as a remote) gets a text or WhatsApp on the locked notification screen.

Are you sure you guys have never seen anything like that.

Roon on iPhone via WiFi even if the actual hardware is all wired…

Possibly pure coincidence but feels relatively common

It’s something to do with notifications on iPhone. Two more dro outs this afternoon, on iPhone one bbc news notification at exactly the same time then a sky news notification.

Am I grasping at the wrong straws here?

I personally haven’t seen any similar reports, no… Are you using your iPhone as a hotspot? That might make sense, but just getting a notification on the phone dropping streaming would be very, very strange. Has this still been consistent over the past few days?

Yeah seems to - not every time but when drop out happens and I check my iPhone it does (in a few occasions) have a notification on the lock screen.

Just logged into the home Wi-Fi network, not a hotspot.

Hi @cmr600,

I spoke to our hardware team and they too have not heard of similar reports of iOS notifications causing issues with audio devices… does this same behavior occur when the Core is both on the QNAP and the Mac? Getting a notification no matter which Core causes a dropout?

Yes either core - QNAP or iMac

Are you able to manually trigger this behavior by opening a webpage or something similar? I’ve never heard of these kinds of symptoms before, seems like doing any kind of data transmission would cause it then theoretically.

OK so weirdly - we seemed to be getting back to a proper stable set up. Certainly not a lot of drop outs.
Over the last 12 hours it’s gone mad again :frowning:

iMac is the core - no issues - QNAP is the content.

Here’s the latest drop package - can you let me know what’s happening.

Thanks!

C

Hi @cmr600,

It looks like you’re getting 404 errors: returned after 224 ms, status code: 404 and your internet is dropping out multiple times a minute when trying to fetch data from our servers:

Line 22110: 07/30 10:18:11 Trace: [push] restarting connection (Unable to read data from the transport connection: interrupted.)
	Line 22111: 07/30 10:18:11 Trace: [push] retrying connection in 79602ms
	Line 22116: 07/30 10:18:21 Trace: Successful POST response from https://push.roonlabs.com/push/1/connect
	Line 22116: 07/30 10:18:21 Trace: Successful POST response from https://push.roonlabs.com/push/1/connect
	Line 22117: 07/30 10:18:21 Trace: [push] connecting to 34.75.62.23:9200
	Line 22118: 07/30 10:18:22 Trace: [push] connected
	Line 22122: 07/30 10:18:32 Trace: [push] restarting connection (Unable to read data from the transport connection: interrupted.)
	Line 22123: 07/30 10:18:32 Trace: [push] retrying connection in 99970ms
	Line 22126: 07/30 10:18:42 Trace: Successful POST response from https://push.roonlabs.com/push/1/connect
	Line 22126: 07/30 10:18:42 Trace: Successful POST response from https://push.roonlabs.com/push/1/connect
	Line 22127: 07/30 10:18:42 Trace: [push] connecting to 34.75.62.23:9200
	Line 22128: 07/30 10:18:43 Trace: [push] connected

I suspect a networking issue, I know you mentioned that your network is in Kenya and not too reliable, this can be especially problematic when you try to play internet radio stations and buffering drops out like this.

Awesome thanks (well not awesome but thanks for clarifying).

African internet (other than my company of course ;-)) is a bit on and off. Also the deaf cables out of Africa is also not perfect.

Good to know it’s “external” as I think finally I’ve solved all the internal issues by upgrading router and putting core directly on IMac with SSD.

The next choice is to decide whether I…

1. keep on IMac (has to stay on all time and is main work comp)
  2. put SSD into QNAP and put core back on there
  3. nucleus plus while being skint!!!
1 Like

@cmr600 - I think the next step here is to start gathering a large local library since the external network is a bit unreliable, as you have seen :slight_smile:

I have 300,000+ tracks locally so we’re ok :wink:

Just the missus likes Radio 2 to remind her of home…

And of course MQA

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.