Qobuz and multichannel? Confusing…

In another thread there was some mention of Qobuz having some multichannel and Atmos music files. I did a search and did find some multichannel and Atmos playlists. So I bought the Microsoft Atmos application for my Win 11 machine. You can set it up for headphones or HT. I chose HT and played the sample files that came with the application sent via hdmi to the AVR and ATMOS showed on the AVR display.
Next I played the Atmos for Jazz playlist on Qobuz. Using Diect sound mode from the computer it registered as Atmos but the Qobuz screen showed it was playing stereo.
My feeling is that the computer was converting stereo to Atmos. Don’t know what Qobuz is saying these files are but I don’t think my AVR is wrong either.
Anyone else have some actual experience playing these files.

These are the only Spatial Audio tracks Qobuz offers:

There are a handful of multichannel tracks available (as linked in the other thread).

The user generated playlists are not Atmos mixes, they are using the regular stereo tracks.

I’m assuming that the reason it’s showing as Atmos on your reciever is because your windows settings are set to Atmos and it’s sending an Atmos signal even though all its doing is pushing the stereo through the windows Atmos mixer.

2 Likes