Qobuz Better Than Tidal Now (for me)

I listen to a lot of indie and what I find weird with Qobuz is sometimes a new release like Ryley Walker’s is not available. It is on Tidal . This happens occasionally.

I think this has little to nothing to do with either Qobuz or Tidal, but who the record label submits to for streaming. I think a lot of smaller labels have never heard of Qobuz so don’t submit their artists to them (and some may only submit to Spotify not being aware of Tidal).

Personally, I’ve gone from Tidal to Qobuz, back to Tidal (I was gifted an ongoing sub last year by somebody there) and now back to Qobuz again. Despite Tidal being free for me, I just couldn’t abide by their MQA allegiance, and in general Qobuz sounds all around better (to me). Plus with a paid sub I can rest a bit easier knowing I’m giving at least something back to the artists and helping a small but very good streaming service stay afloat.

Qobuz has all the Ryley Walker albums but just not the current release

I agree, Tidal’s UI is superior to Qobuz. If you use the streaming service app very often then that is a consideration when selecting which service to use. I use the streaming service app infrequently, choosing to use Roon when I am home and Apple Music on my phone or watch when I am out. Qobuz has a very poor user interface for their app. Not sure what they are thinking. But, for me, that does not play much of a factor. My judgement of the services is based almost entirely on catalog content, reliability, and my perception of how fast they are growing their catalog. For me, Qobuz wins.

I have to say if Qobuz wasn’t on Roon , I doubt I would subscribe to their service ,

2 Likes

Then you might want to write to him or his label about that. I’m not familiar with him, but perhaps he changed labels for the latest release? IMO musician’s and labels have to be more proactive about streaming - getting their bios and pics out there, assuring metadata is present and correct upon release, and making sure all of the services are covered.

1 Like

The more I use Qobuz the more I notice that the content I migrated from Tidal and was not found by Soundiiz is actually on Qobuz.

Unsure if Soundiiz is a quite unreliable or Qobuz are massively adding to their catalogue.

None of the music transfer services are very accurate unless it old classic rock or very popular music . Trust me , I’ve tried them all . Classical , piano , New Age music is an absolute nightmare transfer on playlists .

I have found Taylor Swift on my piano playlists , even some punk rock . Soundiz, Tunemymusic , etc , they all do it

I have had few problems with my Soundizz transfer from Tidal to Qobuz. The only problem was that there were some albums not available in Qobuz because they didn’t seem to be in their library. I found some of them after a manual search. In that case there was a difference in the title of an album. Anyway that’s related to the differences in libraries and had nothing to do with Soundiiz. As far as I can see now the transfer of playlists went well except for some missing songs
[my library consists of non-mainstream modern music]

Wow!! Over years I thought having a Tidal Hifi subscription and songs in master quality would be my final solution. But when comparing Tidal vs Qobuz on CD and highres formats both were noticeable better on Qobuz :open_mouth:

5 posts were split to a new topic: Moderation in MQA Threads

Made the move from Tidal to Qobuz because the catalogue sizes are much closer now and Qobuz was less expensive. Sound quality wise there isn’t much difference to my ears.

Amazon HD price drop might make be think again but I will give Qobuz a bit of a premium for Roon integration.

Innuos 2.0 is saying it has Amazon HD on it’s roadmap so that might get me to look at things again in 2022.

1 Like

My advice is to switch to Qobuz without fear, I’m in the process of doing it myself. I am subscribed to both services, my library of 8,000 albums is mostly classical, all genres and periods. Qobuz clearly has more classic Hi-Res references than Tidal and sounds better (tested with a Hi-End system).

2 Likes

My solution to fill the gap between the libraries of both services is to buy second-hand physical copies from Discogs.com and rip them as local files. I have also verified that, at least on my high-end system, local files sound better than their streaming peers.

2 Likes

In Australia I subscribe to qobuz for CD quality and deezer premium not their hifi. Between the two I can find 99.9% of all the music I want to listen to. I’m a big fan of Japanese rock bands and Japanese indie bands eg Kaneko Ayano and kpop and deezer has more than most which is why I subscribe to deezer. For the rest, rock, some country, some folk qobuz is just fine.

What’s up with Qobuz and Anne Bisson? How does the service touting a superior jazz catalog only feature one Anne Bisson album? Might be time to go back to Tidal.

1 Like

I see 5 albums with Qobuz in France.

1 Like

Really? I’m imagining them keeping all the good stuff for the home crew. Probably a tech glitch though.

As an Expat I’m suffering a lot from all these localization issues content providers artificially put in place. More though on books, movies, than music lately. I think what Qobuz and other services offer (or not) is more a limitation ‘right owners’ put in place. This can be exclusive contracts, omissions, or other reasons. But also not neglecting that services have lots of things to consider and have limited resources AND make mistakes from time to time…

I am sympathetic, but unfortunately I as a consumer should do what’s best for my purchasing spending and go where the music is.