Qobuz in non-supported countries

Hi @Thomas_Borjesson

Strange answer you get, they should make it easy to register a account for us Roon users, right?
No matter if they operate in this case Sweden, or not!
I read that they don’t have the same kind of music, available in the country’s qobuz operates, but I don’t understand why they don’t have it, because it’s not especially smart!
Okay it’s new that they are working with Roon but it’s should have been fixed, before they released it but that’s opinion!
I hope the registration of your account will work, right when it’s time to pay for it!
So you don’t have to get a new one, so the music albums and playlists that you save now will disappear and you have to make it all over again!
Good luck :+1:

String

1 Like

Hi @Anders_Strengberg
The big question now is how payment will work with a Swedish credit card. What do you use for credit cards when you are registered in Ireland. I think there will be problems with VAT. I have used PAYPAL with it is for a Swedish credit card

/thomas

Hi @Thomas_Borjesson
Don’t worry about it, they will solve that “issue”!
I choose’d the Studio alternative free for 1 month.
I received a conformation from Apple iTunes, it cost 355kr
and I pay all my music related bills on my mobile phone account.
It’s smooth to do it that way!

Love & Respect

String

Hi I am also in Australia and have a subscription to Qobuz.
The only problem I have is the text is all in French. Do you know how to change the text to English?
Also I am paying through iTunes at $47.99 a month.
Any advice will be great

Hi Tom,

In the Qobuz app there is a language setting in MyQobuz/Settings (cogwheel)/Interface. This converts most of the app, except Genres. In the PDFs, French is first but other languages usually follow (we Anglos are too used to English first !). It may be that some articles are still in French. If so then a copy paste into Google Translate.

In Roon the only continuing French I see is in Genres. This doesn’t bother me because it’s all pretty obvious, even for my schoolboy French. It also makes me feel cosmopolitan and sophisticated enough to ask @alec_eiffel if I deserve a virtual beret !

Somewhat off-topic but related to French listening. I have become a huge fan of FIP Internet Radio. I listen to it nearly as much as my beloved 3RRR. Check it out with this URL:

http://direct.fipradio.fr/live/fip-midfi.mp3

Edit: Updated URL

3 Likes

Thank you so much Andrew. Problem solved.
I also subscribe to Tidal and I think I might keep both services.
Cheers
Tom O’Brien

1 Like

At the bottom of the web page version, there is an option to choose country - if you choose UK, you will get English. Under settings, then interface on the app, you have the choice of what language you want.

1 Like

I should have added - you would get this much cheaper by subscribing directly through Qobuz (iTunes adds 20%) and using PayPal to pay.

Very good pick @andybob. Eclectic, fun, fantastic live concerts, almost as good as Roon Radio :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I live in Sweden and have successfully registered to Qobuz with help of a VPN client, and so far everything looks to be running well with ROON. But the thing is that I’m not able to download the QOBUZ app to my phone. It says it’s not compatible with any of my units. Is this because of my location or is it my OS in my phone or the phone model that is incompatible with the app? (I have a Huawei p20 pro with Android 9). Would appreciate help…

I’d raise that with Qobuz. They don’t seem to really care where you are located for support.

Hi Tom,
Is it Australian $ or US $?

Because I haven’t thought about it until now when I read what you wrote! About iTunes!
qobuz made a account in Ireland so I shall pay 24.99€ for the Studio Subscription per/month.
But to the Apple notice shall I pay 355.00SEK!
24.99€ does only be 262.50SEK!
But I have for example Qello Stingray (live concert streaming)
(Both on my Tv to see and sound)
True Apple iTunes and the payment is on my Mobile Phone monthly payment! It’s not costing me anything more!

qobuz should be on the same way but why does that cost me almost
10.00€ more each month or 120.00€ more for a year?

Strange and it’s not the same price for you in Australia and me in Sweden?

I have wrote to qobuz and asking them about this, so now it’s only to wait for their answer!
I hope that it’s positive otherwise so does my listening to Hi-Res ends the 21 February!
Because I will not pay almost 15.00€ more for qobuz and Hi-Res each month, against TIDAL and their Masters :joy:!

Love & Respect

String

Apple put an apple tax on everything sold through itunes.

“It’s unclear why Netflix is making this move, though one could infer that this is a cost saving move for customers. Currently, Apple takes a 30% cut from all purchases made through the App Store. Recurring subscriptions that are longer than a year will see a smaller 15% cut from Apple.”

Hi @ged_hickman1

Okay so what shall I do to pay 24.99€ instead of 33.79€?
I think It’s bad of qobuz to not inform people that if you choose, witch Subscribe you want her in our qobuz app so will it cost you 30-50% more!
I don’t believe that it’s only myself and @Tom_O_Brien1
What have “made the mistake to chose qobuz subscription in qobuz app”!?
So shall I channeling my qobuz Studio Subscription in iTunes?
Make a new one in qobuz webpage, does the artist, albums and playlists disappear from the qobuz app My Qobuz and in Roon?

Subscribe directly with Qobuz through their website. You are still able to access Qobuz through the app on iPhones and iPads as well as through Roon.

1 Like

Thanks Paul,
I was canceling my subscription on iTunes and did as wrote!
It gave me another free month with qobuz Studio Subscription :joy:!
It was the same thing with TIDAL or WiMP in the beginning!

Love & Respect

String

1 Like

Hi Anders.
My iTunes subscription was in Australian dollars. The iTunes subscription was part of the Qobuz “free” offer period, however after reading the various comments on this thread I have changed my subscription to Qobuz France at €24.99 per month using my PayPal account this is equal to $39.90 Australian dollars at the current exchange rate. This to me is the best way to go rather than pay Apple their percentage.
I also subscribe to Tidal USA, however I think the Qobuz sound quality is superior to my ears but I will keep them both at this time as I enjoy the Tidal MQA Masters.

2 Likes

I’m living in Sweden and haven’t had any problems starting an account with a free month but when the first payment is to be made the account shuts down as my creditcard/paypal is registered in Sweden (due to streaming rights the paymentalternative needs to be from a country Qobuz have streaming rights in, that’s how they try to follow their agreements with different labels). And a paypal account (new) can’t be made in another country with a swedish or credit card. So I signed up to a pree paid creditcard that’s is not swedish, I chose Revolut, added SEK to the card from my swedish credit card and exchanged it to GBP then signed up with an IP from GB and the account was accepted by Qobuz and now payments are working. (Revolut are located in GB and are reguleted there). And I used this prepaid credit card on my holiday in Europe this summer (Denmark, Germany, France, italy and Austria, minimal exchange fees) and it worked seamless, here is a link for a free revolut card (otherwize about 60 SEK for shipping) and 200 SEK as a gift for signing up to Revolut:
https://www.revolut.com/en-SE/referral/alexanfo0s!G10D21

PS. don’t get scared by their KYC and AML processes. They are as any other financial instution and need to do these backroundchecks regulated by GB goverment (EU so far, this include passport, drivinglicense scan compared to a selfie).

1 Like

This looks interesting Alexander. I want to use Qobuz but being in Australia it is difficult. had a quick look at Revolut, doesn’t look like application is restricted to EU countries. This looks like my best bet.

Cheers.

Not sure why you are having trouble. Sign up using a VPN and after that it just works. I thought using a VPN and pirating came naturally to Aussies :slight_smile:

2 Likes