Qobuz Integration [Now integrated]

Yes, this is the standard message they’ve been giving for the past month or more. See my message further up in this thread…

Depressing, isn’t it?

Yes depressing - I told them the normal consequence:

[quote]You sound like you are NEVER going to open up to Roon. In spite of audiophile DNA compatibility IMO. I am subscribing to TIDAL and will decide if I need to keep QOBUZ later.

Disappointing.[/quote]

Entirely myopic and doomed to failure.

I’m really :mad: at Qobuz :rolling_eyes:
both for the changes I’m seeing since the new ownership (and management) took charge in january and, obviously much more, for the recent news about their “roon-like” plans

though in each and every neswletter I get from them (3-4 a week) I find 5-6 new albums to “explore” and at least a couple to buy :smile:

Yup, as annoying and short-sighted as they are they’re still my favourite download and streaming resource, but sadly I doubt I’ll use the streaming again unless for any unforeseen reason I stop using Roon.

Has there been any info on any other streaming services being courted by Roon, or vice-a-versa? If Tidal sells to Apple or anyone else for that matter, it would be nice if other services could be explored. Deezer Elite is at two years with Sonos, so hopefully that exclusive is coming to a close. My Sonos Elite ends in October, and I’ve chosen to keep Tidal due to Roon integration (and I’ve explained that to Deezer when I had them stop my auto-renew.). Deezer is a very good service, but I don’t need two CD level services, and the Roon /Tidal combo wins out.

Sounds like Qobuz isn’t interested in partnering either.

I like to put Roon on my NAS - I do not see the qobuz desktop application help me there. As a selling platform they will want to be on your most used computer ( where I don’t want them to be with all the drive space those hires are taking).

I am sticking with Qobuz, i canceled Tidal i hate their app!!!/playlists. The music Qobuz is offering is more my taste. I do love Roon/tidal but on the road and at work i do love Qobuz there playlists and music offer is miles better then Tidal.

1 Like

I would love to do that, but then you either have to pay for two streaming services (and keep them in sync), or forgo Roon integration. The latter I’d find hard to live with now, the former would be an annoying waste.

This thread continues to resurface and it’s clear it isn’t going away any time soon, so maybe I’ll wade in with my two cents.

I use both Qobuz and Tidal and prefer the catalog of the former and the interface of the latter, especially when integrated with Roon.

It’s your typical frustrating situation that there’s not a killer lossless streaming solution. That said, I can see that if somehow Roon and Qobuz could be brought together then this would be good or both parties and especially Roon.

I say this because, with just Tidal support, Roon is very vulnerable if, as I would judge is virtually certain to happen at some stage, Tidal gets sold off and is asset stripped in the manner of other such services that have been absorbed into a different ecosystem. I can’t see Apple Music, as one example, being happy to be absorbed within a third party software like Roon, can you?

The Tidal integration is my key motivation for subscribing to Roon and, indeed, the sole reliance on this service is, in my view, a good argument for not committing to a lifetime account.

I would therefore encourage Roon to continue to knock at the door of Qobuz. You guys really need one another. I appreciate that Qobuz isn’t the most straightforward company to deal with, and their comments about building their own “Roon” must be irritating to say the least. However, as other have observed, interface design has been their Achilles heel to date, so the thought that their suddenly going to come up with a Roon clone is, at best, fanciful.

6 Likes

We’ve spoken to them and we’ve given them the list of what TIDAL gives us, that enables our integration. They understand what we need to pull this off. We can’t do this without their data, which they are unwilling to give us. This is purely a lack of interest on their end.

My fear is that something funny is happening in their back end and maybe they can’t provide it… But that’s just speculation on my part.

2 Likes

I’m sure it was unintentional but that really made me laugh! I guess I read it a little differently… :blush:

5 Likes

‘da’ is probably short for Desktop Application – I least that is how I took it when (later in this thread I received sensibly the same message). With Roon I like the set up to have the core application on a powerful nas and all other devices as remote. Qobuz will never do this in their Desktop Application (DA).

I am speculating here - I suspect they may thinking of building a Roon like software to go with their streaming service - given that you guys have substantive experience here with software/ coding I would not worry - your business model is very disruptive and can move forward with or without a streaming service. Like Devialet experience you cannot force third parties to the table rather they need to want to be a partner and be prepared to spend time on development.

Qobuz is only available in the the major European countries so does not solve Roon’s Tidal problem for many customers.

1 Like

Actually I think you’ll find there are plenty of subscribers stateside.

1 Like

It also seems like Roon has a lot customers east of Europe who would be left out too.

My understanding, at least a couple of years ago, was that they would remove geoblocking if you asked them to, on an individual basis. Therefore I think you’ll find there are a lot of members in the States.

Used to. Refused when I asked them in 2014.

Oh well, I guessed they’d stop it sometime.