Qobuz Integration [Now integrated]

This is not an issue anymore - use VPN for most services and work around the silly geo-blocking rules some services wish to impose.

It’s not generally the services - I’m sure they wouldn’t want to block any potential customers. It’s the hideous legal structure of rights and the music industry in general.

3 Likes

I totally appreciate your point - the legal structures around the world have generally not kept pace with streaming technology- so I am happy to pay for the service and use VPN until the regulatory environment allows me to do so in the usual manner

1 Like

I acted for some music promoter clients about 20 years ago renegotiating the terms of the standard venue licence with the local performing rights association and became familiar with music copyright issues at that time. A lot has changed since then of course but I read some of the materials now and then (yet to read the TPP !) and I have to agree with your comment. Music copyright is a dogs breakfast and it is hard to see how it will change.

I remember reading about the issues associated with the video clip of Chris Hadfield performing “Space Oddity” in the ISS and laughing at the impossibility of negotiating separate agreements with all potential rights holders. Even that article oversimplifies the issues because Mr. Bowie was not the owner of copyright, his publisher had rights in the song as a Work and various subsidiaries/joint venturers etc. throughout the world would have owned the rights based on geographic divisions.

Perhaps also one of the reasons that TIDAL cannot adopt Hi Res formats like MQA worldwide as easily as say FLAC - I expect it would narrow TIDAL’s offering in a geographic sense much like Qobuz - therefore the delay on the rollout from TIDAL on this front -

Perhaps there’s still hope for Qobuz integration. I had a good chat with a Qobuz representative at a show yesterday. He was well aware of the Roon issue, and he actually agreed that Qobuz should be looking to integrate. However, the problem appears to be the new owner of the company, who sees Roon as competition (untrue imho) and want to make their own alternative, using their own metadata (that’s not going to be easy).

The chap I spoke to said he continues to argue the case for Roon integration within Qobuz (as, I got the sense, do others).

Apparently they’ll be announcing something about their own offering within weeks.

1 Like

… how can a paid software be a Qobuz’ competitor? :astonished:
new owner is totally :nutter:

unless…

• Qobuz is planning to release a paid version or their application (good luck, guys! :laughing: ) or…
  • the tight integration, right from the start and so far, with Tidal only is giving that impression (Audirvana was, at first, Qobuz only then added Tidal months later). Frenchies, you know… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

let’s hope reason prevails. and that it doesn’t take long to :wink:

facepalm Yes, Qobuz developing its own version of Roon was hinted at back in August. Of course, don’t expect the multizone support and audiophile quality of Roon. If they ever deliver, I’ll bet it will be but a pale shadow of Roon.

2 Likes

Will it even let you play your local files I wonder!?

Perhaps the Qobuz owners have misunderstood what Roon is? Unless of course they are competitors because of what Qobuz are about to launch? Sounds like we’ll find out pretty soon.

Qobuz has been recently integrated into the UAPP app for Android. For those not familiar with UAPP it is an app that takes over USB output and allows for bit perfect output from Android devices. Tidal has been integrated with uapp for awhile now. So it appears qobuz is working with other partners but uapp is nothing like Roon.

I believe it only has to do with how Android works and doesn’t mean Qobuz is planning something: on iOS you get bit-perfect digital output (from any app) by just plugging the Apple Camera Kit or any Apple approved device :wink:

I have just contacted Qobuz, but like many before I have just been given a generic response. Safe to say there looks to be zero interest from Qobuz so I think we can put this one to rest.

Screenshot of Qobuz response to my email;

You should advise him to start looking for his next gig.

1 Like

I’m glad they fixed that “da natively from power” mistranslation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, that looks different to an answer I received earlier this year from Qobuz, where they stated that ROON integration in on the roadmap for 2017. Now it looks like they try to provide similar functionality.

I now wrote to their support desk the following:
I have a question regarding ROON integration. In a previous response, you stated that ROON integration is planned for 2017. In an actual answer to one of my colleagues, the response was very different. You mentioned that you are planning to provide similar functionality to ROON in an updated version of your player, which is not a ROON integration at all. I now need to know, what your plans are regarding that integration. I am not interested in a similar function, I am looking for an integration to ROON, as this is a given part of my audio setup. If Qobuz will not provide any integration, I am not longer interested in your service on the long run.

Let’s see what happens. If no clear answer, I will cancel Qobuz.

1 Like

This is a deal breaker for me. Roon is a fundamental part of my audio setup. No Roon integration, will make me cancel my Qobuz subscription.

3 Likes

I cancelled some time ago and am enjoying the Tidal/Roon amalgamation. Qobuz is now a distant memory. As is Spotify.Onwards and upwards!

1 Like

Same here: I’ve canceled my Qobuz subscription months ago for the same reasons. And Tidal, in my opinion, is getting better, so no complaints. I only wish Roon paired with ClassicsOnline…

1 Like

Classics Online is the one I am looking forward to, given that its app sounds terrible, yet if offer a very good selection of high resolution recordings. However, I do like its search function.

1 Like

I will reactivate my Qobuz subscription once its integrated into Roon.
To use Qobuz now I would have to maintain different technical setups and this is a No Go