Qobuz login and connection dropping, tracks skipping since latest upgrade

A very simple setup, wired connection to router (Fritzbox 7530), Dell XPS laptop, i9 processor, 64gb ram, windows 11, usb out to Chord Mojo 2. This started with the upgrade to build 1401. Roon usually connects to Qobuz on launch and then drops out completely after a couple of minutes. Track skipping simply reports multiple errors and closes down or it marks tracks as unavailable from Qobuz. On multiple clicks it often then changes its mind.

I have not seen similar problems with any of my collection which is on an external SSD drive, connected through a hub and through which the ethernet is also connected (no ethernet on Dell) All of this has been working well for several years.

I have noticed that other streaming services have developed a sort of hesitation in output. It is not buffering, the connection is not slow, but the video hesitates repeatedly and then skips forward to catch up with the audio. This happens whether VPN is connected or not and wherever it is connected through. I have no idea if the issues are related and do not know how to interpret either problem in relation to the other.

Interesting. I’ve noticed this behavior lately when watching YouTube videos on my iPad (so not Roon related, at least for me).

My last comment was only to point to the possibility of a shared cause. Both happen irrespective of what the other services are doing or not. I have that odd musical quirk where if I am listening to music, that is what I am doing. No reading, talking, working, nothing. Obviously not using Roon alongside Netflix, who would? But if the network connection has a problem that causes the login to Qobuz to fail, it might look like a stutter on video streaming. What I don’t know is how frequently Roon establishes connection with Qobuz. On present experience it seems to be every couple of minutes.

I would appreciate any comments from others. There are a couple of points that I should like to investigate. The first is how often does Roon login to Qobuz. Obviously it does this on startup but I am still getting repeated failures to log in after ten or twenty minutes of playing and the stream just stops and the alert is shown.

The second set of questions is to do with why disconnecting from Nord VPN and closing the app, does my connection still show that Nordlynx remains connected. I know this is not a Roon question but the fact that Roon support excludes VPN connected devices the implication is that these are known problems and I have to think that I am not the only person experiencing them. At present, Roon starts fine, logs in to Qobuz and delivers properly only if I block Nord from doing anything at all on boot up. A restart without any VPN activity seems perfectly fine.

So is anyone willing to chat about why this is such a basic issue and if anyone has any workarounds?

I am going to mark this as resolved not because it is, at least not consistently. But I have realized that I have not explored the existing threads sufficiently on this forum. It is also clear that my understanding of VPN finessing is in serious need of improvement. I will trawl both VPN and Roon forums and make a new enquiry if it all gets too much!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.