Qobuz media loading slowly-issue

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

Ok, this is the first time being a Roon user in 5 years I’m having an issue & hoping i can get help with. I keep getting the following message within seconds of playing a Qobuz track:

“Qobuz media is loading slowly. This may indicate a networking or connectivity problem”

But there is no issue when streaming Tidal, just Qobuz? I have made no changes other than updating to the latest version. I have tired: *Rebooting, restarting roon server software, reinstalling operating system, rebooting router, etc… the thing is if i don’t use Roon and streaming through my DCS Mosiac DAC app. with Qobuz I have NO ISSUES- just with Roon. Tidal works fine in roon. My internet speeds are more than fast enough I’m currently getting 950 Mbps download & 922 upload! Yes i have tired rebooting, unplugging, logging out of Qobuz in Roon & relogging in, I also went directly from my laptop via USB cable to my DAC and streamed Qobuz just fine- It’s definitely a ROON ISSUE , nothing has worked I’m at wits end here please help!

Hi there.
Welcome to the forum, a shame a problem brought you here.
Are you streaming hires or just regular 16/44 through Qobuz/Roon?
Have you tried clearing the Roon cache at all?

I did clear the cache before rebooting everything & yes it seems like it happening mostly on HI-RES files 96 or 192 res

Is there a way to go back to the older version before the 1.8 upgrade?

Unfortunately there is no way to go backwards on Roon build versions.
BTW are you on the latest build right now which is 931?

And I know you don’t want to hear this but if it’s fine on 16/44 it could well be a network issue of some sort.
Qobuz inside of Roon is a lot more bandwidth intensive than straight Qobuz on its own outside of Roon.

Yes I’m on the latest build 1.8 931
This makes no sense, I’ve have had no issues till now and i have not changed a thing on my end expect do the latest update and i see in this support group seems many others are having similar issues with hi-res files loading now.

But there are also a great number who are not, myself for example.
However that’s not too important apart from to say it can’t just be the latest build on its own because it is not everyone affected.
But possibly some other kind of interaction at play.
It sounds like you have already tried and exhausted a great number of options already without results.

Let’s tag @support for you and see what they may have to suggest next.

thank you for your suggestions, How do i go about tagging support on this matter?

I already did it in the last post.

If you set your Qobuz resolution limit to 16/44 can you at least make do with being able to play Qobuz without issues for now?
Just to keep you able to play Qobuz for now of course, not as a long term suggestion.

thank you again, one thing i didn’t do was reset “roon database & setting” i was a little afraid to

if i may ask how long does it take ROON support to respond?

Hammer- I hate to bug you because i realize you were trying to help but how long does it take ROON Support to reply?? Or is there something i should of done to have them reply? thank you for help Tony

Unfortunately it can vary depending on work load and they did release a new build yesterday.
Btw, have you tried the latest build 933 and see if any changes?

Yeah, i had my fingers crossed- but still did not work- thanks

Ok well hang in there
@support

1 Like

Hey @my2sons,

Welcome to our Roon Community, we’re sorry that a snag in Roon prompted your visit but we’re happy to help get you going again. I added the support template to your initial post. Please fill that out with as much detail as possible. Please be especially detailed when describing how your devices are connected to your network and connection between your audio devices. That will help us in determining a starting point with troubleshooting.

A couple of questions for you:

Do you get Qobuz media loading slowly messages when you play to all your endpoints, or only specific devices?

How are the devices that are exhibiting the problem connected to your network? Wi-Fi or wired?

Can you test playback while incrementally raising your streaming resolution, start at 16/44.1 see if you’re able to play from Qobuz then slowly raise your resolution in steps until you encounter the error message.

I’ll be watching for your reply and get back to you once we have more information. Thanks!

Roon Core Machine
Roon Nucleus +

Apple Macbook Pro Laptop
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Networking Gear & Setup Details
ISP: Verizon Fios Gigabit Wired speeds up 950mbps / download speeds 920mbps
My Verizon fios modern/router model #G3100 is located in my house with a direct cat6 cable running to my dedicated audio room in a detached garage to a Verizon Fios #E3200 Extenderfrom that to a Netgear Nighthawk Router for a subnetwork for my audio room only to a Nordost QRT switch- the Nucleus and the DCS Upsampler are connected to the Nordost switch. Using all Cat 6 cabling
The Roon Nucleus & DCS Upsampler are wired ethernet and the Roon software interface is on my Macbook via WiFi

Connected Audio Devices
DCS Audio Vivaldi Upsampler, Dac & clock- so the cat6 cable first goues to the DCS Upsampler and then via BNC cables from the upsampler to the DCS DAC
https://dcsaudio.com/edit/introducing-apex

Number of Tracks in Library
I only stream Tidal & Qobuz- I do not have any saved files or a NAS

Description of Issue
Qobuz media is loading slowly. This may indicate a networking or connectivity problem”
Keep in Mind this only happens when I try to play 192kHz files in Qobuz (Tidal no issues) It starts to play about 6 to 8 seconds, stops and trys the next song so on and so on. But if I use the DCS Mosiac app. I have no issues, if I use my Macbook as the core I have no issues, it seems like it only happens when I try to play the 192 hi res files through ROON, I have no issues with every other streaming resolution in Qobuz or Tidal. The list of below are things I have tired up to this point without any luck: I’m on the most current version of Roon, my laptop is up to date, Rebooted everything including main router, extender, Netgear, switch, laptop, DCS Components multiple times, I reinstalled & restarted the roon Nucleus multiple times- *I did not reset “Roon Database & settings” I was a bit afraid not sure if I would lose all my files- I don’t have a NAS I only stream music. I have also tired switch network cables, by passing the switch & netgear nighthawk router. Also if I take a USB cable from my laptop directly to my DCS upsampler – I have no problem playing 192khz files, It’s very odd because honestly I have not changed a thing myself and I been a ROON Client since the beginning and it’s been flawless. I must also say I’m not a real computer savvy guy so I saw where some people suggested checking or changing their DNS service- I have no clue how or where to go to check or do this. I installed the ROON program on another newer Apple laptop and another windows laptop and it still didn’t fix the issue. BTW is there a way I can make roon a priority on my network- I don’t know if that’s considered port forwarding?

Do you get Qobuz media loading slowly messages when you play to all your endpoints, or only specific devices? Only stream to my DCS Dac

How are the devices that are exhibiting the problem connected to your network? Wi-Fi or wired? wired

Can you test playback while incrementally raising your streaming resolution, start at 16/44.1 see if you’re able to play from Qobuz then slowly raise your resolution in steps until you encounter the error message. NO issues with any other streaming resolutions except 192khz

Hello again @my2sons,

Typically Qobuz media loading slowly messages are a sign of networking problems, and you’re daisy-chaining quite a few devices in your setup. I can definitely see how this could pose a problem.

Your logs seem to back that up. I’m seeing quite a few network and timed out errors. Lets start by having you check to see if IPv6 is disabled across your network. You’ll need to check that on each of your Verizon Fios devices as well as your Nighthawk Router.

Additionally the Nordost QRT switch has both 1Gbps and 100mbps ports, which are you using? You may also want to try using a wired connection from the Nighhawk directly to your Nucleus. I’m unable to tell if you’ve tried that from what you’ve written in your post.

Please let me know if either of these recommendations helps. Thanks!

Bingo!! I can’t believe i forgot to try this in the first place, i guess between the run and the switch it was causing a enough of a buffer. Anyway I’m back up and running, thank you!

1 Like