Qobuz now £14.99 in UK

Now that’s what Roon should do, in fact as streaming matures and services get better at library management and metadata that might be Roon’s major strength, it could be the ‘keeper of your collection’ - but as for now I think the answer is no and yes you need Soundiiz!

3 Likes

That Soundiiz site looks dodgy. No Paypal. It’s probably fine but I think I’ll wait to see how the Qobuz trial goes before I put my card details in. :grinning:

No need for cards if you do a playlist at a time :blush:

It was nice surprise with today’s payment 14.99£. So I will stay with Qobuz. I use also Tidal and I will stay with it too, because in Poland costs 40 PLN - it’s approx. 7.79£/9.28€. For me it’s a good deal.

Also Sublime+ is now £249.99 (down from £299.99 annually). I subscribed a few weeks ago so I’m not sure if it’s just recent subscribers but I got an email saying that if I subscribe by 29 Feb 2020 they will add a year to my sub and issue a refund for my unused £299.99 sub. Very decent of them - good customer service Qobuz (if anyone at Qobuz reads this). Thank you.

Note to self - add “renew Qobuz” to my urgent to-do list.

I just swapped over from TIDAL to Qobuz in light of the new offer. Soundiiz worked pretty well for me, I think it missed about 120 albums out of a total of ~1700.

I exported the list as a CSV and went through the missing ones manually (or at least the albums from that 120 that I couldn’t live without) and found all of them in Qobuz but with slightly different names; Remaster v Remaster 2009, Deluxe v Deluxe Edition etc

So I am happy for the moment. I’ll keep TIDAL ticking along for another month just to be sure that new releases I want are not missing on Qobuz.

2 Likes

The availability of downloads at lower prices are the determining factor for me. I have probably saved around 50% of the Sublime+ price over the year, so renewing at the reduced price is a no-brainer.

I agree with others that some of the UK indie releases I am looking for (usually new bands) are not available as readily as I would like, but I can live with this for now.

Am glad that Qoboz are reducing their prices (even if they haven’t quite committed yet to it being a permanent reduction) - it is something they absolutely need to do to compete with Amazon at all. And surely we don’t want to see Amazon take over the entire market, especially given they don’t yet support Roon.

I chose Qoboz, at least for trial, because they have more of a classical/jazz orientation or at least that is the perception that people have and maybe it is correct, given that you might expect a service owned by a rapper to be more comtemporary pop oriented. But, also Qoboz appear to have better curation in that they provide some good information about their material.

As to SQ, I’d be surprised if there was really a difference (given the same bit rate / speed) bar glitches in stream speed or other network dependent stuff largely outside of their control, since they likely use the same source files provided by the record companies as other services.

1 Like

TIDAL has quite a few artist owners, but it would be incorrect to think TIDAL is more pop oriented. When I last trialled Qobuz it had a much smaller catalogue than TIDAL with a significant percentage of my TIDAL favourites unavailable in Qobuz. This was predominantly folk, Americana and singer/ songwriter titles.

I took the TIDAL deal in October 2019 so won’t be jumping ship anytime soon unless the Qobuz price reduction is permanent.

BTW, here’s a list of TIDAL’s artist owners:

• Alicia Keys
  • Arcade Fire’s Win Butler and Regine Chassagne
  • Beyoncé
  • Calvin Harris
  • Coldplay’s Chris Martin
  • Daft Punk
  • Damian Marley
  • deadmau5
  • Indochine
  • J. Cole
  • Jack White
  • Jason Aldean
  • Shawn “Jay Z” Carter
  • Kanye West
  • Lil Wayne
  • Madonna
  • Nicki Minaj
  • Rihanna
  • T.I.
  • Usher
3 Likes

Minor gotcha here if you switch streaming platform; you will probably find (as I did) that afterwards RoonAppliance is using a lot more memory than before.

For me on my TIDAL subscription, after a restart, it was using around 750Mb of RAM. After transferring my albums to Qobuz, disabling TIDAL and importing Qobuz favourites into Roon it was using 1Gb RAM, after a restart.

A quick library cleanup of the now orphaned TIDAL tracks (about 17000 of them) and the memory usage is back down to a similar level <800Mb RAM.

1 Like

Qobuz is getting better, when i switched last summer i was missing a couple of albums in Qobuz, but they are now available… so maybe give it another try. I like the curated lists, articles and new album selections, much better than Tidal.

(i’m in the Netherlands)

1 Like

Not with my taste of music. Late December I had a second try with Qobuz…

Netherlands too (if there’s any difference between Qobuz-regions / I don’t know)

1 Like

Nope…not interested one bit in those “artists”

Sorry, I don’t understand the relevance of your reply.

3 Likes

I don’t like any of those artists, so I’m glad I’m not supporting them

So you like Yves Riesel’s work? Good to know you scrutinise a company’s investors before committing to their goods and services.

3 Likes

Haven’t said I did, I just don’t like those you’ve stated…what’s the problem?

They are owners. Why do you care who the owners are? For me, both Tidal and Qobuz have all the music I listen to. They both have music I don’t listen to.

1 Like

You tell me. You’re the one who posted the reply.

I’m changing from Tidal to Qobuz after my trial period. I’ll lose some indie albums but gain a load of Baroque and Classical stuff. As the latter is my main listening now it’s worth doing.

I’ll fill any gaps with used CDs from Amazon/Ebay/Discogs…

2 Likes