Qobuz playback issues on Nucleus

Please see my previous post which starts with “More Information“. As stated there, following a request by Roon tech, I had enabled HDMI output. When the problem recurred, there was no output to the Vivaldi, but there was output to the HDMI output. Going under Roon—Settings—Audio, the small blue bar that detects sound and moves accordingly when there is sound was flat in the ethernet-connected Vivaldi’s output box of the Nucleus, but moving appropriately in the HDMI output box of the Nucleus.
I will investigate your other two suggestions and let you know.
Thank you for your response.

Please let me know if the information I sent in the last post helps you narrow down the issue. Thanks again.

If it is a network issue, why would it not have shown up before 1.7 upgrade?
I’ve had the same network, no changes in settings, for a year.

Hi @charau,

Sometimes certain components of a network experience hardware issue, I’ve seen reports of even enterprise-grade switches fail, so it is not outside the realm of possibility.

This test confirmed that a local endpoint worked as expected with the Nucleus, but now we need to verify if other devices on the network behave as expected. Can you please give @dylan’s suggestion a try?

Sorry, I had initially misunderstood what you meant by playing to another enpoint on the network.
Playing Roon via Nucleus Plus to a separate small integrated unit yielded same result, with the orange letters “This track is not currently available from Qobuz” on 2 separate Qobuz albums early Sunday morning, twice within one hour. Interestingly, the 2nd time, within 30 seconds and despite that warning, the selected track starting playing spontaneously. This had occurred also on rare occasions with the Vivaldi.
As was the case with the Vivaldi, other Qobuz albums played fine; and no problems with any Tidal album, nor playing from the SSD Drive with music files attached to the Roon Nucleus Plus.
Also, wouldn’t you expect the problem to occur with Tidal also, not just Qobuz, if it were due to a network issue?
I appreciate your follow-through and explanations. Thanks!

@noris,
I see Roon OS 1.7 (v521) was released today. Reading its content and purpose, I’m uncertain whether or not it specifically addresses the issue I’ve mentioned in previous posts above. Could you please let me know if I can expect the issue to resolve because of this update?
Thank you!

Hi @charau,

Apologies for the slight delay in getting back to you, it’s been a bit busy since we released.

As to answer your question, we have made some general improvements to Roon, but I don’t believe we have made any changes that specifically address the issues you are facing.

Is the behavior the same with the new Roon client on your end or is it still the same?

If the behavior is still the same, I would like to focus on this issue when it occurs on your PC’s System Output zone, as this would be the most useful data point. Can you please let me know the exact local time + date + track when this behavior re-occurs on the System Output zone?

Time will tell if the issue recurs, but I’d like to understand your instructions in case it returns.
I’m using iPad (not PC or Mac) as the remote.
System Output Zone appears and can be activated/deactivated on, the Mac.
If Mac is powered on, System Output shows in the iPad but as soon as Mac is shut down or in sleep mode, System Output disappears from the iPad.
I mentioned this in a previous recent post above:
“…playing to a separate small integrated unit yielded same result, with the orange letters “This track is not currently available from Qobuz” on 2 separate Qobuz albums early Sunday morning, twice within one hour. Interestingly, the 2nd time, within 30 seconds and despite that warning, the selected track starting playing spontaneously. This had occurred also on rare occasions with the Vivaldi.” "
Is this what you are looking for?
Sorry, I don’t understand your request. Could you please clarify?
Thank You.

Hi @charau,

Yes, this is the correct behavior. What we are trying to determine here is if the behavior also occurs on System Output on the Mac (the Mac’s speakers) as this will provide the best information for troubleshooting purposes.

It is not clear what you meant in your previous message regarding a “small integrated unit”, but if this is another DAC, it won’t help us much.

To proceed, please reproduce this behavior on your System Output zone on the Mac and let me know the time + date + track the behavior occurs on, once I have this information the logs will hopefully provide much cleaner clues.

I’m not using Mac but iPad as remote, so with the Enabled (but unselected) iPad’s Audio while listening via another RoonReady Device which I have selected under “Zones” (the preamp of a stereo system) and not selecting nor listening to the iPad’s Enabled Audio (iPad’s speakers), how do I do this?
I don’t listen to Roon via the iPad.
Many thanks for your continued instructions.

Hi @charau,

You can enable the iPad speakers output by going to Roon Settings -> Audio on the iPad and enabling the top-most option, it should say “This iPad” and the name of the iPad underneath it.

Can you please try enabling this zone and letting me know if you experience the same behavior when outputting to the iPad zone?

If you experience the same behavior - please note the time + date + track as requested above, thanks!

I understand now, and have started iPad output of Roon. Will report back.

1 Like

Issue has not recurred playing continuously 2 hours through iPad output.
What does this suggest?

At 6 hours, the issue has not recurred with iPad output and I think it would have done so by now if Roon had been playing to another output endpoint. So, where do we go from here?

Hi @charau,

Thank you for testing the iPad zone further. Since this behavior does not occur there, we should further troubleshoot this as an endpoint-specific issue.

I know you mentioned earlier in the thread that you endpoints are connected to the Araknis switch, correct?

Please refer back to @dylan’s comment from here, specifically this point:

Managed switches are often trickier to set up to work properly with Roon. I would advise the following:

1. Please check the settings on the switch and see if you have a “flow control” setting, and if you do, try to enable it.

2. If the behavior is still the same with “flow control” turned on, I would advise to temporarily replace the Araknis managed switch with an un-managed one to see if this resolves the behavior. If the issue doesn’t occur on the un-managed switch, that would indicate that there is something regarding the Araknis switch settings that is triggering this behavior.

Thanks. I have started by having the DNS server changed per my network installer’s suggestion. I just wanted to exhaust all other possibilities before taking any network related steps as the network is robust and otherwise trouble-free. If this or the other steps do not solve the problem, I will let you know. They believe that step will. Thanks again!

1 Like

You might be interested in my own investigation of Qobuz issues caused by DNS (it turned out to be IPv6 related) that would also cause crashed in the Mac Roon client If using a CoreAudio zone.