Qobuz Price Reduction

I like Jazz, Alternative, Rock and Pop. Tidal has all you can eat in these genre. I don’t care about Jay-Z. The service is owed by a consortium of artists. It’s fine with me. Also, hardly ever have streaming problems.

It’s been a few months since I canceled Qobuz. Resubscribed today. Catalog is still lacking. I was hoping they would have fixed this already. All the stuff in my Tidal library that was missing on Qobuz, is still missing today. Disappointing

Please let us know what they say.

3 Likes

No still the same.

Right now I don’t pay for either Qobuz or Tidal but I use both on a daily (Tidal) or monthly (Qobuz) basis.

I’m still in a 6 month free trial for Tidal that came with my KEF LS50W speakers so that’s what I stream from and when Roon Radio or my own research uncovers something I like enough to want to add it to my permanent collection I go and buy it from the Qobuz download store. So far I have never failed to find something that I streamed on Tidal available as a download album on Qobuz (I only buy albums) so I’m always surprised to hear that Qobuz’s catalogue is lacking vs Tidal. I listen to mostly rock, indie & blues. Maybe I just got lucky so far or perhaps Qobuz has more stuff available for purchase on its download store than it has streaming rights for.

My plan is to try a 30 day Qobuz trial in January, a month away from the end of my 6 month Tidal trial, to see which I prefer. By that time I would hope that new Qobuz pricing has reached the U.K. Qobuz is a French company after all (isn’t it?) so I would have thought that a European roll-out of new pricing would be in the plan. Surely they can’t justify that price discrepancy with the new US pricing for too long?

Everybody has different tastes. I had a fellow enthusiast around to mine a while back and asked why he stuck with Spotify. He gave me five examples and Tidal lacked four of them. He was in to big cinematic sound tracks and a lot of those were missing. But for my tastes it has much of what I like.

That’s interesting - you are in the States? I ditched Qobuz quite promptly when I trialled the service in the UK for the same reason. I am not especially niche in my musical tastes and Qobuz at the time matched only 40% of my Tidal collection, give or take. This was about the start of this year. However, out of curiosity I tried them again recently and, credit where it’s due, there was a vast improvement to about 80% or more. And, some cases of additions where Tidal was lacking. Question is, are the remaining gaps a deal breaker?

Things may improve likewise in the US, but I do wonder whether limited catalog in the US - given their late arrival in the day - might be a driver for the tempting price drop advertised? I may be over-interpreting here, but it’s interesting all the same.

I am waiting to hear back from Qobuz customer services in the UK about wider circulation of the offer meantime.

Price reduction is probably to appease US customers over the subpar market entry. In Europe they are quite established already. So no need for a price reduction. We will see.

I get your point, but established or not, people aren’t silly and will not take kindly to the massive difference in price for the same service.

3 Likes

$14.99/month for the first 100,000 subscribers. I presume it will return to the old price after a year…

I’m interested in what was missing on Qobuz, did you search and not find, were you using a transfer service? Only when I moved a few years ago that web service that transfers favourites and playlists found virtually everything had on Tidal?

I still do manual comparisons, when I can’t find a classical album especially, but so far if Qobuz don’t have it then nobody does - or sometimes Qobuz search just can’t find it because of stupid metadata! I was missing a Mahler album from a full cycle and always presumed Qobuz just didn’t have it, until I saw them advertising it - turned out when I added it to my Roon library instead of the conductor or orchestra the only artist in the metadata was an obscure soloist! :joy:

Anyway, I wonder if one day we will simply subscribe to Roon and Roon will go get what we want, from anywhere, in the background, without us having the fairest idea which streaming service provided it! Now that would be great… or maybe Roon could become a streaming service, there’s no headaches in that business honestly guys! :grin:

Yes, I am in US

Maybe it’s just the type of music I listen (folk/ Americana, Indie, Alternative)

No. I just went to my albums on Roon Overview, then checked each album I had there for the first couple of pages (entered on Tidal). Then went to versions. About 20 or so percent did not have Qobuz version. I’ll check more today

Ah I see, yes I love “versions” very handy feature of Roon, although it is unreliable, i have several albums in my own collection that Roon says there are no other versions of, but when I search in Qobuz app they are there - maybe metadata issues?

I will write down the missing titles on my Roon library today, then search directly on Qobuz iPad app

Ok, so out of my first 100 Tidal favorites, the following was missing on Qobuz:

Karen and the Sorrows - The names of things

The Lumineers - III

Ben Glover - Shorebound

Luke Sital-Singh - A Golden State

Lowland Hum - Thin

Lowland Hum - Self Titled album

Molly Tuttle - When You’re Ready

Israel Nash - Israel Nash’s Rain Plans

Rod Picott / Amanda Shires - Sew your Heart with Wires

Simone Felice - Strangers

Rickie Lee Jones - Self Titled

Sara K. - Hell or High Water

Ingrid Michaelson - Everybody

Peter Bradley Adams - A Face Like Mine

——-

So 14%. Not terrible, but not good either

Rickie Lee Jones is there.
In Europe at least…

Qobuz claimed they are adding thousands of tracks a day. They told me to send them a list of what’s missing and they might try to prioritize them to get them added faster. The ones I gave them a month or so ago are still missing. I know they add by label and not individual artist or albums.

Hopefully they improve. I have no plans to go back to Tidal. I find the hires albums sound much better than MQA in my system. If Amazon HD gets integrated I will consider switching to them if Qobuz hasn’t caught up by then.

1 Like

Nope. Not that album. Here is US

Is the difference between Studio Premium and Sublime+ just the ability to buy discounted downloads?