Why did I lost my QOBUZ streaming connection with ROON while my QOBUZ streaming connection is still valid ? I don’t pay attention to the exact moment, but I’m quite sure it is related to last software update.
Many thanks for help and support.
Note that I ‘stream’ with an old MBP around 9-10 years old and I can’t anymore update Mac OS to the latest version (still running with latest BigSur 11.6.7 update).
Tried the 2 ways (email and username) : none is working with ROON, while I have full and immediate access to my account with browser and password (SAFARI or CHROME) and I can also check it is still valid
I have rebooted everything before, without any change. I’ve checked also my subscription and access with QOBUZ, but they didn’t find anything wrong or bad regarding this.
But according to your suggestion, I checked my Core (Innuos Zenith) and found a software update intended for TIDAL integration. After running this update update and full reboot of all my system, QOBUZ is now streaming and playing well.