Quality of album reviews

I agree. Some of the reviews are „tabloit level“. And then not even the name of the reviewer is shown in the majority of cases. Thats pretty poor.

1 Like

Maybe they are curated by Fox News? And Roon is embarrassed to show that :sunglasses:

I completely ignore the reviews. It’s an opinion, and most of the time the reviewer and I disagree. The reviewers seem to like wine. I like whiskey, not wine.

Of course you can. But if they provide this feature it may well be worth considering high value content providers.

Please Roon do get rid of reviewers forever. Personnal opinions from reviewers lower the quality of Roon experience.

Facts, information about the tracks, composers, artists, etc are very interesting, especially when those go deeper into history of music, context or composition analysis for example.

No, it did not. Personal opinions from posters lower the quality of the forum experience.

Ok, fun enough. Please do not generalize your own opinion :slight_smile:

5 Likes

For goodness sake get over it. Don’t be so precious.

Reviews are an excellent addition and I think I’m capable enough to put them in whatever context I choose. The notion that they should be there is ridiculous.

“The notion that they should be there is ridiculous.”

That they shouldn’t be there maybe?

Let’s talk potential solutions:

• make the UI more configurable to toggle the Review function on and off
  • ability for user to “flag” a review that is off base and Roon can give that feedback back to TiVo who is the provider of metadata and AllMusic reviews
  • have the ability for reviews to be posted to the Forum and then an option for Roon to pick up Roon-user provided reviews. A user provided sanity check could be implemented

I am sure there other ideas out there to make Roon better from a Discovery standpoint. Here is my list to get you thinking, please add to this linked thread new ideas!

Top 10 Feature Requests

Rob

2 Likes

Cheers Ged thanks, yes, I stand corrected. I love the review feature.

OK, fair enough as everybody has the right to believe in someone else’s personnal opinions (such as a reviewer or Santa Claus stories, etc.), so let’s keep a “review” corner for happy subjectivists and turntables experts.^^

In that case, please just add a facts only card, with as much audited information as possible, wherever possible (without personnal opinions).

1 Like

Having separate “Facts” and “Opinions” tabs, I love it!

1 Like

I too would like to see some solution to this. I’m fed up of reading ‘personal opinion’ reviews of albums I value. This tells me nothing other than the bias and subjectivity of one person. Quality information about the artist, their vision for the piece, any interesting movements it was part of, historical context, technical details, etc. etc., all very welcome!

At least the ability to choose a different reviewer/source for the reviews - why is there only one available, I’m sure there is more than one decent review of many of the albums I listen to.

2 Likes

That’s what all reviews are, no matter who writes them. And Allmusic has a reasonable reputation for curating reviews that are at least thought-provoking, which is the main point of any review.

3 Likes

It’s too late to complain now, support for Wikipedia or nothing instead of Tivo reviews is already on the way in earlyaccess testing:

1 Like

Some are a lot more subjective than others, though. However, to an extent, I agree, which is why I detailed exactly the type of detail I’d like to see instead.

I was complaining because my version of Roon came up with an exceptionally biased review just yesterday.

Great to see this is becoming a thing, though. Exactly the type of improvement I like to see.

It was meant as tongue in cheek :slight_smile:

No offense taken (I :heart:’d your post!) was just explaining why now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve come across at least two instances where the review was for an entirely different album by a different artist. Don’t recall what they were. Only time I read them is when I’m considering adding something to my library.