Question about Volume Leveling with DSD

Roon Core Machine

Windows 11, AMD 9 3900X, 2070 Super, 32GB RAM DDR4 (Both CPU and GPU is manually Overclock), Roon Version 2.0 (Build 1179) EarlyAccess, HQPlayer Desktop 4.20.2

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet 1.5G

Connected Audio Devices

Denafrips ARES II R2R DAC, HIFIMAN Arya

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I have read the Volume Leveling Page in the knowledge page. I still have questions about it. When I enable Volume Leveling. When I am playing music that the source is DSD it would convert to PCM 352.8KHZ. Once I turn on Native Processing DSD it would use the volume leveling without the DSD to PCM conversion. If I were to go this route will this degrade sound quality? Would it be better if I just make a headroom of -3DB on HQPlayer itself?

Since you’re already using HQPlayer to up-convert to DSD512, you should also use it for volume leveling and any other DSP you may need. The way it is now, even with “native DSD processing”, there are two sigma-delta modulations in the signal path. It’s unlikely you’ll hear a difference in quality, but it may reduce system load.

Ah Okay. Thanks. I will use HQPlayer by adding -3DB instead of using volume leveling within Roon plus the Native DSD processing.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.