Questions about connecting my core to a Marantz ND8006

Hello,

I’m relatively new to Roon. I’ve built a core out of a Intel NUCi3, with 16 g of ram, a M.2 drive for running Roon and an internal 2TB SSD drive for music storage. I have already ripped and loaded about 650 gigs of uncompressed files on my nuc and everything seems to be running great. I have it hooked up to the internet through with a lan line into my main router. I can play it wirelessly through my room apps on my phone and iPad and also through my Marantz nd8006 media hub via airplay and/or Bluetooth. The ND8006 is also hooked up to the internet through the same router so they are part of the same network.

My question is this. How can I hook the core up to my Marantz Nd8006 using the USB input? I’ve already tried and it doesn’t seem to be recognized by the Marantz unit. Do I need to download a special driver onto the core so it will work with the Marantz? Can I even do this? I’d really love to use Roon hard wired and not just WiFi if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Assuming you are running ROCK on the NUC, you can’t use the (and probably don’t need) the Marantz driver, which is only for Windows PC. Linux doesn’t require a driver and neither does MacOS. Have you tried it?

I did plug it in and the ND8006 didn’t seem to recognize the nuc. I’ll unplug everything and turn it off and retry though.

It should be Roon recognizing the Marantz, not the other way around. Did you try going into Roon and configuring ROCK to act as a endpoint. I don’t think that is automatic, I think you need to enable the USB output for ROCK. You can do this via the web interface to ROCK, if I recall correctly.

That makes sense, I’ll give that a try. Thank you.

I’m not sure I see how to do this when I go to the Web interface. I’m on a Mac. When I access the rock via the web, all I see is a screen that says “System Status” Then there are 4 subsections “Operating system” “Roon Server Software”, “Roon Database & Settings” and “Internal Music Storage”. I don’t think any of those do that. Then below that is the networking screen, but I don’t see anything that says “usb”. Here’s a pic of what I see…

Here’s the networking screen

Sorry, I was doing this from memory and I must have been thinking about the SonicTransporter configuration screen. Ignore my previous message. On whatever you’re using for Roon Control, go into Settings/Audio and scan for the NUC. There should be multiple outputs available. Select the USB and configure it for the Marantz.

Ok. I’ll give that a try. Thanks again.

I went and tried to do what you suggested. It may be because I’m not very tech savvy, but when I get to the audio screen, look at what is connected to my core, it only shows a bunch of HDMI connections and no USB. My nuc only has 1 HDMI connection FYI… Thanks again for all your help.

Here’s what it shows…

The USB entry is the one on the top left of the screen. You can see it has identified the device as an ND8006 which is the model # of your Marantz. Give it a name and click on the gears to ensure the settings are good for whatever the Marantz’s capabilities are (if unsure, leave them as is) and you should be good to go. You will see whatever name you give it show up in Roon as new zone.

Of course, that makes sense. Sorry I was a bit overwhelmed but am good to go now. Thanks again for everything. Have a great day!

1 Like