Questions from a newbie

All up and running and basically working well, here’s what I’ve done, then some questions

• Roon (core) installed on my desktop PC in my home office room
  • Settings/Storage I have added 4 folders, one is all my classical music, one is all my pop/rock/other CDs ripped, one is y daughters itunes library, and one is my wife’s itunes library
  • Setting/Audio, i have configured ASIO driver for my nice external USB DAC on the PC,. and I have added all network devices around the home that Roon can find (turned them all on first)
  • Installed RoonBridge and have it running the background on the PC
    *Installed Roon Remote on my Android tablet

When playing at my desktop PC I can open Roon, Browse my content, and play anything to my active loudspeakers, using the volume control on the DAC externally cos ASIO fixes the volume output in Windows. Purple dot shows bit transparent.

When I open the App in Android, I can also browse my content, and select either my Pioneer AV receiver (SC-LX77) or my network audio streamer (Cambridge Audio CXN), and listen to music in my sitting room.

But (first question) audio quality dot is green, it is not bit transparent, and it shows mechanism is AirPlay. I have plenty of other media playing applications in Android (e.g. MediaHouse Pro, or remote apps in Android,that allow me to access the content from music server built in to my NAS. Example Cambridge Audios own App for the CXN. So how to get bit transparent streaming to either of these two devices.

Also (second question), in my games room I have a DLNA streamer, and a Chromecast, but Roon won’t detect either, so I can’t stream to this 3rd zone in my house. (Office, sitting room, and games room)

Final question, music seems to play randomly after I select a track, it doesn’t continue in album order, any ideas?

For your last point if music is continuing, ‘radio’ will be set to on. That means Roon will continue to play similar music after your chosen music ends. It needs to be toggled to off.

Roon doesn’t support DLNA or (currently) Chromecast.

You’ll need to add a device to the 3rd zone that Roon supports. Possibilities include:

• a RoonReady device;

• an old Android phone;

• a small computing device (Raspberry Pi, Allo Sparky etc.) running Roon Bridge.

The above are all RAAT devices. Roon also supports AirPlay, Sonos, Squeezebox and Meridian streaming, but you can only group like Zones with like.

Check out the KB article for more info.

That is such a shame, and really limits Roon. those two “ecosystems” must be the most widespread, I have DLNA devices in 4 rooms, and can stream my music to them already with a variety of apps or remotes, I have Chromecasts in 3 rooms and again can stream to those. It seems to be Roon is pitching itself away from Android users, favouring Mac users (hence using AirPlay), for no reason - such a shame - I love the front end, but won’t be buying Roon after the free 14 days if it can;t support at least one of my multiple streaming devices in each room, (each room has either DLNA or Chromecast, only the living room has AirPlay). I don’t want to add more hardware when I have solutions already for every room

There is a lot of information about This in the knowledge base.

Roon is built around RAAT which has no format restrictions and enables users to stream high resolution audio.

Sonore have developed a UPnP Bridge app that runs on their devices, uses the Squeezebox capability in Roon and enables Roon to talk to a solely DLNA streamer.

Many people prefer to use a network audio device (I use the microRendu) and connect to a DAC.

Music is playing randomly, probably, because you have turned on shuffle. Shuffle is the 2 arrows that cross each other in the screen that displays your queue. If they’re blue then shuffle is on, click to turn white and off. This one got me also. Once you turn on shuffle, it’s on (per endpoint) until you turn it off. At first, I also wrongly assumed shuffle was only on until the queue was emptied.

It isn’t clear to me whether you installed Roon server or Roon core on your desktop PC. If you installed core then you don’t need a bridge on that PC. Roon bridge is only for endpoints.