Radio 1.4 Fails to Start

Setup Description:

Roon Version 1.4 (build 300) stable (64bit)
Windows 10 Pro
Dell XPS 8910 desktop w/8 GB of RAM
196,000 files (mostly ripped/purchased FLAC and some mp3 mixture), stored on four Seagate 4TB drives, housed in Netgear ReadyNAS Pro 4 and connected to a Netgear R7800 router (firmware last updated several weeks ago).
Play music to Logitech Squeezebox Duet
Not currently using Tidal

Am aware of the fact that radio will not start if it is feeding off of a Tidal track. However, from time to time, the radio will not begin after the last track of an album I own is played. Never experienced this issue when starting radio from a single track. See image of my Roon player below which I captured after this issue occurred.

As you can see from the image provided, it queues up a similar track. But it never plays. The play button is greyed out. So I have to manually click on the next button or thumbs-up-or-down button in order to activate the play button. Once activated, I have to click on the play button to start the radio function.

The only explanation I can provide is that I have noticed radio starts okay when it queues up before the conclusion of the last track playing. Radio usually fails otherwise.

Any suggestions to remedy this issue would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Hi @jb76 ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The insight is always appreciated!

Moving forward, if you are able to reliable reproduce this behavior I would like to enable diagnostics on your account so our tech team can have a closer look into this issue. However, before I enable this feature may I very kindly ask you to please provide the following:

• Please reproduce the issue and note the following:

• The time when radio did not start.
    • The name of the track that was playing just before radio was supposed to start.
    • The name of the track that radio should have started on.

Once I have the requested information I will go ahead and enable diagnostics on your account.

-Eric

Hi Eric. Did not have any issue with Radio 1.4 starting up on Sunday or yesterday. This was after I rebooted my pc the night before.

But at 9:38 p.m. CST tonight, radio failed to start after the last track of Blood, Sweat & Tears’ album Child Is Father to the Man, song titled “So Much Love / Underture.” As you can see from the image below, Radio 1.4 had queued up “You Don’t Know Where Your Interest Lies” by Simon & Garfunkel. Both are FLAC files. And, as I stated previously, the S&G song did not queue up till after the last track of B,S&T had stopped playing.

Thanks for reaching out to me @jb76, very appreciated! Confirming that I have enabled the mentioned diagnostics on your account. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on your core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded directly to our servers. I will confirm when the report has been received so you know have it and then will pass over to our tech team for analysis.

Additionally, if you have any other audio zones currently being used do they exhibit this same behavior?

-Eric

Well, after several days without an issue, Radio 1.4 failed to start at 11:18 a.m. CST, after Roy Orbison’s Black & White Night album finished playing. Hope you are able to pinpoint and address what may have caused this issue. Thanks for your continued support.

Several hours later I played a few selected radio tracks from the Roy Orbison seed without issue. However, the same issue arose at 5:12 p.m. after playing the second album I selected to play today, Derek and the Dominos’ Live at The Filmore.

Once this issue arises, where the radio fails to start, the problem seems to persist till I close the program and/or restart my pc. Hope this helps.

In an effort to assist with diagnosing the issue at hand I thought I’d provide another update.

Without closing the program, I manually started the radio feature for the Eric Clapton seed. Several songs into the playlist the Roon program froze up on me. After several minutes it appeared that the program reset itself without closing. Afterward, I was able to restart the radio playback session where it last left off at without any further issue.

Started playing the third album and it to stopped playing after the last song, at 9:03 p.m. CST, of MGMT’s Little Dark Age.

So I closed the program hoping this would resolve the issue by restarting the Roon player anew. Upon reopening, I noticed that the play/pause button was still greyed out and a different song had queued up on the radio playlist.

Manually restarted the radio for the MGMT feed song without further issue. Then elected to play a 5-track EP, Dum Dum Girls’ End of Daze, which queued up and played a song from the last track without issue. So it appears that restarting the program temporarily fixed the problem.

Thank you for touching base with me @jb76, and sharing the observations you have made during your testing.

Continuing forward, I have re-enabled diagnostics on your account so we can examine the traces in your Roon logs from these most recent test runs. As before, when the report comes in I will be sure to confirm we have it and swiftly attach it to your ticket for review by our tech team.

-Eric

UPDATE: Latest diagnostics report has been received.

Hi @jb76 ----- Thank you again for your continued feedback and more importantly thank you for your patience while the team has been looking into this behavior you’ve reported to us.

Continuing forward, your ticket has been passed back to me after our techs completed their evaluation for the received diagnostics from your system. As per their feedback they are not seeing anything conclusive in the Roon log traces in relation to this behavior you’ve reported to us. However, they are curious if you were ever able to confirm the following:

From my previous:

-Eric

Hi Eric. Sorry to hear that the diagnostic logs did not reveal a cause for this issue. Curious to know whether the logs even recognized that the radio function failed to start in the examples I provided.

With respect to having access to other audio zones, I do have the ability to enable them, with playback to my pc speakers. Have never had the need or desire to since the Squeezebox Duet zone allows me to access my KEF stereo speakers.

Will enable another zone and let you know if the issue can be duplicated. Please allow some time since, like the Squeezebox Duet zone, it could take days before the issue starts up.

1 Like