Radio Paradise FLAC feed

There is also an app now for the Shield TV.

Radio Paradise now has different flac streams one can choose. Great options for RP. (LMS updated to access these new streams. I know we don’t yet have RP flac streams in Roon, but when we do, these new options will be nice.)

Mellow
Rock
Groovy
Main

1 Like

Allocating development time to enable compatibility with a FLAC streaming implementation peculiar to one station is always a difficult ask, even if that station is quite popular. If you want to make @brian wince, just mention the variety of experimental FLAC implementations by the BBC.

The natural inclination and hope would be to expect that RP could eventually adopt the format now common with all other FLAC streaming stations, even if in parallel with its own player. However such a hope probably underestimates the capacity of radio folk to be as idiosyncratic as the audio industry.

1 Like

Roon users who want RP to offer a standard FLAC feed should consider emailing Bill Goldsmith with a request. Since RP is commercial free and listener supported, it would also be good if you were a contributor to RP, and mention that in your email to Bill.

Bill@radioparadise.com

1 Like

I’m an RP sponsor so will mail and ask.

I just did too:
Hi Bill,

We have regular forum discussions and feature wish lists in the Roon community.

There are many RP listeners & supporters in the Roon community.

Roon has made great strides in implementing many FLAC radio streams but keeps stating that RP needs a standard FLAC stream and then could be integrated.

Please consider adding this functionality and the Room community will all be turned on to RP due to recommendation in the very active forum. You would gain main more contributing supporters.

I think it would be a win win

Heres hoping

4 Likes

Thoughts and prayers going out to those in Paradise, CA that have lost their homes and businesses in the Camp fire.

Still streaming! They posted on the main site, thanks for the concern, they’ve moved from Paradise but are saddened by the loss.

3 Likes

I am on board with this. To me, Roon’s major shortcoming is its lack of internet radio functionality.

Awesome otherwise, however, keep up the great work.

1 Like

I’m also a frequent (incessant) RP listener and Roon user. I would be very happy to get support for both the FLAC stream and album art in the Roon app.

3 Likes

I have the same wishing about RP FLAC here in Malmoe/Sweden!! Roon and RadioParadise are frequently in use in my home, but I have to change server/library and turn off Roon to reach RP in highest quality :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Same wishes from me. I have donated money to RP for the last 4 years. Spend like 4-5 hours listening to RP every day. Would love to have lossless output to Roon or Bluesound.

As a supporter ask RP to change to a standard FLAC feed.

I would love to have a better lossless FLAC intergration with the brilliant internet radiostation Radio Paradise. I know they have their own UI on web with losless output. Please make this availible at Roon UI.

I would too but it’s been detailed that RP is using a non-standard FLAC implementation that is apparently unique to just them. They do have the cool ability to venture off the main stream for 6 or 12 songs

Anyway, it’s been asked about and the response is highly unlikely Roon crew would put the effort in for a one-off station, especially given the rather sorry state of the interface currently.

A quick search of the forum would show the previous threads about this.

1 Like

I think the quickest way Roon users would get RP would be if RP were to provide a normal FLAC stream alongside their current implementation.

I posted the request on the RP forum. Got an reply from Bill today.

1 Like

I know there is an extension to streaming FLAC in an OGG-format container. Sonos supports it, at least. I believe Sonos also supports an HLS streaming mode for it (e.g., because BBC iPlayer), but that may be less standard. I don’t know if Roon supports the streaming OGG extensions or not. But it seems like there ought to be some common ground for this

1 Like

Roon supports OGG containers for FLAC.

The issue here is that the RP feed requires some unique software at the user end. This enables it to provide a rich listener experience as described by Bill. It seems to me to be a better way of broadcasting a FLAC stream and in my dreams such increased information might enable Roon to link to Albums and Artists in the RP Radio stream.

But Roon has lots of other calls on development resources and FLAC streaming has a history of idiosyncratic solutions which don’t catch on. Justifying such a project around a table of devs, all jealous of resources, when the added benefit is an increase in capability for one station, is a hard ask.

The devs will see Bill’s response, Thankyou @Trond_Arne_Velund for posting it.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound so hopeful. I too split my listening time between RP FLAC stream and Roon and would love to have both in one interface.
RP is such a great source for hearing new music and artists there is great synergy there.

3 Likes