Radio station emitting a hum?

Not sure if this is so much of a station error, probably nothing Roon can do, but I notice an irritating mid frequency hum during dj speech and quieter passages when listening to Coast 101.1 from Newfoundland Canada. I am not an avid radio listener, but I have tried a few other radio station and none emit the same hum. Can someone else try this station and see if they get the same? I assume this originates from the broadcaster and no solution exists?

Can someone else try this station and see if they get the same?

I have had Coast 101.1 as a Roon Radio station since early 2016, I haven’t noticed a hum.

Were the other stations you checked mp3s too?

Anyway, I’ve added an alternative mp3 stream, same rate. Try that.

I can confirm this 64 mbps stream does not emit the tone, and both Coast streams do. It takes a while to confirm because those DJ’s at KQAK start yapping before the track dies down, the next track starts while they are still talking and commercials are not quiet either. Geez, my ears are suffering after listening to 64 mbps; were those symbols or short bursts of white noise?

They play fantastic tunes! My wife works from home and listens to this station exclusively 7 hours a day, however she doesn’t hear the hum. I tried to nail down a particular frequency running test tones but no luck. I find most of the sound is emitted from my ribbon tweeter (Magnepan 3.6) which is crossed over at 1700 hz.

1 Like

The station CBC Radio One Goose Bay also plays a 128k MP3 stream. Does that hum?

I ran a 60s segment of audio through an online spectral analyser - this is what I see

1 Like

Nope. No hum with this one.

I checked on a Sonos play5 and can hear the hum through it also with Coast 101.1,

Also can hear the noise going through Sonos app without Roon, so must be something originating from their station- but surprised nobody else can hear this.

I just repeated the spectral analysis:

I don’t see any hum.

If you’re hearing it through Sonos. the problem seems unrelated to Roon. I’m sorry I can’t help.

(I’ll move this sub-converstion to its own thread)

Just tried and concurrently ran my metering bridge, waited for a transition between songs and commentary and heard/saw nothing in the whole audible range.

Must be something with that specific hardware configuration, I‘d say.

1 Like

I didn’t think it was a Roon issue, but thanks for your efforts- If you guys are not getting the hum it makes sense it doesn’t show up in your analysis- maybe I will investigate running a spectrum analyzer to see if I get anything
 or just going to have to tolerate it I guess

If others could try that station and see if they get a ~2 khz hum during quiet passages for my own sanity I would appreciate it :slight_smile:

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I hear a high frequency hum (screeching, annoyance) on both streams. It is only present on this stations streams.
I can hear it constantly, only drowned out a little during loud passages.
Listening from fmstream also has the same result.

Other streams I listen to do not have it.

1 Like

I don’t know about the hum but I found out there’s no metadata embedded in Coast 101.1 webstream. I have “manually” added them to the Radio Metadata Service, you can now see Artist and Song info in Roon.

2 Likes

Sweet! I did notice other stations showed the track/artist info, and wondered why this one didn’t. Thank you!
:+1:

No humm that i could identify, but it surely sounded awful. I cannot stand 128kbps MP3 and feel the station did an even worse impression
 Sorry

I don’t notice the hum anymore- it was nothing I did; no change on my end but if someone somewhere, perhaps someone at the station has moved the power cable off the signal cables, thank you- I don’t notice it anymore therefore I suppose we can close off this thread.

Strange, but good news.
Closing thread.

1 Like