Random music stops after library migration

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus+ 1.8, build 764 stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Internet > Apple AirPort Extreme > Sonore Optical Module > Etherregen switch > Nucleus > Linn Klimax DSM

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

See above. Music Library on 7TB SSD in Nucleus.

Controlled via Apple IPad and IPhone

Description Of Issue

Up until this weekend, my music library resided on a NAS connected to the Nucleus via etherregen switch and Ethernet.

This weekend, using instruction in your FAQ for installation and migration, I installed a large SSD in the nucleus+ and moved my 3.7 TB library from the NAS to the internal storage.

Migration seems to have been successful as all my database changes seem to have been preserved.

Music played from Roon but it was quickly apparent something was wrong. Music would stop randomly. The pause button was on (indicating playing) as was the little colored doohickey that indicates what kind of media you are playing. The timer would not update and neither would the playback head. Tapping the pause button would do nothing.

I have tried to discern a pattern but I’m not sure there is one. These are my observations:

-I initially thought it did not happen during streaming from Qobuz and Tidal. I was wrong. It does.
-it doesn’t happen while playing 44/16 from the music library (I think).
-it really hates Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Sometime it seems like everything freezes. I can’t move the playback head or skip to a new track. The only solution I could find to this was to restart the server.

Other times, I can move the playback head and the music will start again. It may stop again during the same track or keep playing for a long time. Skipping to a new track also works.

And other times, it seems like it will play for hours with no problems.

Roon finished indexing before I played music via Roon after the migration.

Help!?

Bump. I know y’all are busy…but.

I’ve never gone this long without a reply from support. I know y’all are busy.

I felt like the update before last cleared some/all Of this up.

Yesterday’s update made it come back with a vengeance. I think I’ve only got to the end of track two on every album I’ve played today. Streaming and local.

It does seem to only be happening at the end of tracks. That wasn’t the case when I started this thread.

@mike

Could y’all at least turn on logging on my nucleus so you have the data you need when you get to my problem.

I constantly have to reboot the server to get music to play in any predictable fashion. Streaming has become almost useless (and it’s not my bandwidth because I can stream 4K video to my home theater).

@noris
@support
@dylan

Hey @Michael_Faoro,

It has indeed been longer than ever to get back to all of the requests we’re receiving. I am so sorry for the delay - we had hoped it was going to be much sooner.

I’m checking right now with Dylan and Noris and kindly ask they join in with suggestions. Please, bear with us just a little bit longer :bear:

Hi @Michael_Faoro

Does this happen when playing to all endpoints? If you play to System Output of a remote does the same issue occur?

The next time this happens can you make a note of the time it occurs as well as the name of the track you are playing? We’ll enable diagnostics and take a look at this instance.

Thanks!

Thanks @dylan

I only play to one endpoint. A Linn DSM. I’ll try playing to the IPad later and see what happens.

Once you enabled logging it didn’t happen for three days. The day before 20-30 times. A pure coincidence I’m sure. Also a result of maybe not playing as often.

A Roon server reboot tends to stop the stoppages for a while.

Here are my notes once it did start happening. Let me know if you want more/different information.

April 10 10:57a qobuz stream

Rhiannon Giddens: I Shall Not Be Moved

Stopped at end of song

Now playing not updating either

April 10 ~1:07p Qobuz stream - Roon radio

The Wailin’ Jenny’s: WildFlowers 88/24

Stopped at end of song

Next track does work unless I drag timeline out

April 10 ~3p nucleus library

Tony Bennett: Stranger in Paradise DSD64

Stopped at end of song

April 10 3:41p nucleus library

Led Zeppelin the Song Remains the Same

DSD128

Stopped at end of song

Next song (Elvis) - timeline not updating

April 10 3:520 nucleus library

Elvis - Can’t help falling in love 96/24

Stopped in middle (1:49)

Next song after Elvis showing music by Biber but plays talking heads. Moving the slider takes the music back to Biber.

Then Biber stops at the end of the song. around 4p

April 10 ~5:45p
I rebooted Roon Server

April 10 7:15p music playing but timeline not updating

April 11 unknown time in mid-afternoon

Chopin Nocturne no. 9

DSD 64

Stopped end of track

April 11 unknown time around 7:15pm

Ellington and Basie: Take the A-Train

DSD 64

Stopped end of track

April 11-12
Stopped overnight. Not sure when. I’ve been playing random music to test the stoppages with as many different media and resolutions as possible.

Thanks for the timestamps, @Michael_Faoro!

Diagnostics have been enabled, we’ll take a look at these instances and will follow up with you once the team has completed their investigation.

Hi @Michael_Faoro

The first thing that I notice in the diagnostics report is there are a lot of networking errors around this time, especially when communicating with Qobuz. The errors are all Name Resolution Errors, so I think there might be some DNS issues at play here.

Can you try setting Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS on your router? That should help to clear up these errors.

Done. I’ll play it for a while and let you know what happens.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.