Random playback dropouts: inexplicable over radio, stream, or local stored tunes

as of 3-4 weeks ago, having random stoppage of music playing on almost all my playback endpoints (phone, iFI, Mac-mini>gungnir stereo, iPad, etc. it might play for several hours and it might, just as unpredictably, drop out after several minutes. thereafter, dropping out repeatedly. apple macOS update is a suspect but
really aggravating and I don’t see internet/ISP dropouts on network at all during these times. here are some specs and I can send log files (from where?) but I’m wondering if there is interference of some kind? dunno. inexplicable.
mac mini (2018):
3 gz 6 core. 16Gb 2667 Mhz DDR4
macOS sonoma 14.1.1
storage: 1TB: 408.72 Gb free

ROON: Mac mini:
roon server version 2.0 bld 1353
roon this mac: v 2.0 bld 1353

mesh network: eeroOS v7.0.1-64
USB (UNISON) connection from mac mini to Schiit Gungnir multibit.

thank you - Phillip

Hi @PHILLIP_CRUMP,

Hi there,

Thanks for the update! Could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and name of the track playing when the issue occurs?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

We have been experiencing repeated radio dropouts too. Roon is installed on a Mac Mini.

Had a dropout occurrence today ~10:20 am ET.
Attempted to send logs - can’t locate them.

Please feel free to diagnose at will and send me instructions on how I can help.
Thank you.

Hi @PHILLIP_CRUMP,

Thanks for the follow-up!

Do you have any active VPNs or other network security active?

How is your server connected to your primary router? Are you able to test out hardwiring it via ethernet?

From your server logs, there appear to be unnatural stoppages due to slow media. Since you’re running USB to your DAC, the bandwidth issue is likely occurring between your server and your local network.

I also noticed that your particular router, the eeroOS v7.0.1-64, has issued a recent firmware update v7.0.1-64. Did your router get this update?

Let me know, thanks! :pray:

thank you - Mac mini server is connected by rj45 to primary Eero router (at in/egress point, i.e., at cable modem.) Would having hardwire connection AND wifi to LAN cause problems? Curious since that’s the way I have Mac mini connected. Have no reasonable explanation for why of course. Ha-ha.
eerosOS is up to date as you noted - all devices all firmware.
your suggestion of stoppages due to slow media prompts me to monitor LAN more closely. at least for a time whilst we diagnose.

Hi @PHILLIP_CRUMP,

In certain cases it certainly could interfere. If possible, can you disable wifi on the mac server?

update: over last 48 hours I have disable wifi on Mac mini server (Roon core.) it doesn’t seem to have made any improvements eliminating the dropouts. I have restored wifi connectivity in addition to the hardwired ethernet from Mac mini to primary wifi router (eero) for now.
your assistance and guidance appreciated.

Did you overlook this?

Seems it’s not related to this thread, no?

@Marin_Weigel - Are you asking me?

I’m just a Customer / User like you - Roon should be leading the communications regarding all of these seemingly linked / repeated problems - I’ve just shared the initial comment that was posted yesterday.

Hi @PHILLIP_CRUMP,

Thanks for your continued patience here. We were able to further review your server diagnostic, and found potential bandwidth issues leading to slow media and then audio drop outs. Below is an example trace:

Warn: [Living room] [zoneplayer/raat] Too many dropouts (>3s dropped out in the last 30s). Killing stream
Trace: [Living room] [zoneplayer/raat] too many dropouts. stopping stream
Warn: [zone Living room] Track Stopped Due to Slow Media

As a next step, I’d be curious to see if you’re able to get your living room endpoints a more direct connection to your primary router? Unfortunately, the errors are a bit vague right now, and I’m not able to see specifically where the hold up is within your media stream.

What does your signal chain look like, and do you have any active MUSE settings?

Let me know, thanks!