Random popping noises on Tidal tracks

Hi @Brice_Lang ---- Thank you for verifying that for me.

I have been digging through the DEQX manual trying to determine what could potentially need to be adjusted on the unit to stop these “pops” from occurring. I noticed that the device can be used with JRiver as well, and out of curiosity do you happen to make use of the application? I am asking from a completely analytical standpoint to understand if this popping occurs in other application that make use of the same interface on the unit (i.e ETH).

-Eric

I have never used J River. Even though it would be a chore I’m not stoked about, I’d be willing to test it out if there’s a free trial and if it helps get to the bottom of this problem.

Hi @Brice_Lang ---- The only reason for my asking is because the DEQX manual references JRiver in the same section that they mentioned Roon in so I was just curious :innocent:

I am not sure if we have this device in house but have left a note with our tech team to confirm. If we do, I will schedule some time for them to pull it off the shelf and see what they can come up with.

-Eric

Thanks. I’m pretty sure Roon does have a DEQX Premate + because I’ve been told that test were done for another one of my tickets in the past.

@Brice_Lang – My apologies :dizzy_face: I see where that had been mentioned and the team has verified that we do have one.

Our techs also had some additional questions in regard to this behavior. Can you please verify the following for me:

• Where are you noticing these “pops”? Are they occurring mid track? Are they occurring at a transition point between songs?

• I know earlier on in your report you had mentioned that the occurrence of these “pops” were completely random, but are you now able to trigger it reliable?

• It’s a touch unclear to me Brice but does your locally stored music exhibit the same behavior?

• While this may seem very elementary, have you tried rebooting the PreMate Plus?

-Eric

-The pops can happen at any time in a track. I have not noticed any tendency for them to happen all or mostly at the beginning or end of a track.

-I have never been able to do anything to make the pops happen based on some activity of mine. They are random. I do make note of which tracks suffer from the pops and i often replay those tracks making notes of when i hear the pops to make sure they aren’t happening at precisely the same moment which would indicate they are simply part of the recording, which usually is NOT the case.

-I honestly don’t know if this problem occurs with stored music because 90 percent of the music I listen to is streamed from Tidal. I’ll have to listen to some stored music and give it some time to see if it occurs.

-Yes, this is so elementary that I’m 99% sure I’ve tried rebooting before. But there’s that 1% uncertainty. I did try rebooting last night when i went to bed and haven’t experienced the popping since. I’ll report back on this the next time popping occurs. I know I’ve turned my DEQX on and off plenty in the last couple weeks because I’ve been troubleshooting stuff.

1 Like

The short answers to your two last questions are a hesitant no, and a hesitant no. Here’s the longer explanation:

After power cycling the DEQX last night, I started my listening session today by streaming music stored on the USB drive connected to my Intel NUC running ROCK. 12 tracks and no popping sounds. So that leads me to believe that stored music is not a problem…but I can’t be certain of that because it’s possible the popping just hasn’t struck yet.

I switched to streaming Tidal music but, maddeningly, no pops there either. I even played 7 tracks that have exhibited the problem behavior before. I mean…yay I got to listen to music the way it should be heard, but that doesn’t help me get to the bottom of the problem. Technically, I haven’t heard any pops today after having turned the DEQX off/on last night. That would seem to point to powercycling as the silver bullet solution, but I’m skeptical. Like I said, I’ve powercycled this unit many times in the last couple weeks. The next time I hear pops, I’ll powercycle and see what happens.

Hi @Brice_Lang ---- Just touching base with you on the above to see how things have been holding up since your post yesterday.

Additionally, I am still working on scheduling some testing with with the tech team to see if we can reproduce this behavior in house. I have opened up a ticket in our system with the team and will let you know once testing has completed.

-Eric

Since my last post 8 days ago, I have not experienced this popping issue. Haven’t noticed it anyway. Am I completely out of the woods? Maybe, maybe not. But things are going okay right now. I checked in with DEQX and got this response which is could prove helpful in the future:

“As the render for this is CPU Linux, it is possible that like any computer that after it has been running for an extended time that a reboot could be required to reset the memory etc. Included on the setting page is a reboot button just for this purpose.”

If I hear the popping again, I’ll try that reset button and report back if it solves the issue or not.

The popping issue came back a few minutes ago after having the DEQX turned on for a week. As the manufacturer recommended, I went into the Settings menu on the front touch screen of the DEQX and hit Reset. It appeared to be the same thing as turning the unit off and back on. Not sure of anything different was happening on the back end while it was doing that. Anyway, “resetting” the unit seems to have solved the problem. I replayed the same problem track and the pops were gone. I’ll come back to this solution if the problem comes back in the future.

2 Likes

I think enough time has passed to say this issue has been resolved. In the rare instance that this popping occurs, I have been able to hit the Reset button from the DEQX’s settings menu and the popping go away. Thanks for your support as i navigated this frustrating issue. All good now.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.