Raspberry pi3,picoreplayer,hifiberry?

Hi Dimitris,

In theory, probably yes. It’s a computer running a (heavily optimised) version of Linux on an ARM chip. In practice, you have to know the login details to SSH into the operating system, and Auralic are unlikely to tell you what they are.

Someone with better hacking skills than me may be able to figure out how to get in by analysing the software updates released by Auralic. I started looking at that kind of approach when I was thinking of installing NAA on the Aries.

One thing I would be pretty confident about. If you do get in to the Aries Mini and mess about with the operating system and manage to brick the device (always a risk for inquisitive amateurs such as myself) then you would be on your own warranty wise.

Any rumors if this will be a roonbridge product in the near future?

As you may know the Aries is RoonReady and everyone sort of expected the Mini to be RoonReady also. Steve (@scolley) even started a blog about it in anticipation.

Auralic haven’t said much more than “not yet”. My understanding, which could very well be wrong, is that there are no significant technical impediments to making the Mini RoonReady. That leaves commercial considerations as the most likely reason. It may be that Auralic are concerned that sales of the Mini would cannibalise sales of the Aries. I think that is misguided in a market where I believe there are going to be a plethora of less expensive devices filling the niches at all sorts of price points. The Raspberry Pi3 with built in Wi-Fi is a start, as is the Android Remix. Early days yet in this segment.

1 Like

Thank you Andybob

Today I connected my Meridian Explorer 2 to the USB output of my Raspberry pi2 running picore player, and was able to stream up to 192kHz 24bit and even MQA decoding is working.
Will be listening music all night.

RBM

Where do I place that string to enable my digi+ I am confused where the /boot/config/ piece is?

The file is /boot/config.txt

You can edit it by typing

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

If your new to this, pico is easier to use than nano. I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing it included in Raspbian.

It is. But for editing one line in a config file, there’s really no difference. :wink:

As you will see from Rene’s other thread, I have jumped in. RP3 on order as of today.

Hi there,

I just put together the following Roon Ready setup: (Raspberry pi3) + (Hifiberry Digi+) + (enhanced Linear Power Supply from AQVOX). All this goes connected to my Devialet 400 through an S/PDIF cable.

I can only say that sound is absolutely great. It is playing my 24/192 files like a breeze. What a great surprise taking into that the Roon Ready setup costs less than EUR 200 altogether. Definitively worth trying.

Highly recommended!

2 Likes

Great! I use the exact same setup to a pair of Meridian speakers with the exact same amount of satisfaction. :wink:

Yes, I did the same thing (apart from the power supply) and I am delighted with the results. I just got sick to the back teeth of the problems with Devialet AIR and the total lack of response from Devialet to try and fix it after almost 2 years.

Full marks to Roon for what they have achieved, and shame on Devialet for being trumped by a £50 ‘learning computer’

The combo with Hifiberry is not officially a ‘Roon Ready’ solution as endpoint, right? Or did I miss something?

Nope. Not yet, anyway. Does not work any less though. :slight_smile:

I can imagine, though I prefer the upcoming options for the IQAudio DAC+ -> Alu casing, OLED display and rotary (guess volume) knop.

Plus I really love the Roon Ready approach. Gives me the feeling it will work in the future too when updates come out.

I was of the same thinking. You know, waiting for the next and great forthcoming Roonready device…

Tired of waiting for the next big thing, I decided to make the HifiBerry move once Roon 1.2 was available. I am so happy now enjoying a great Roon experience with my Devialet.

Yes, for the trivial cost involved, it is worth a punt. I am delighted with mine, but if something better comes along, I can re-purpose the Pi for another application.

I am using pi3 + hifiberry dac+ pro, and it is a great roon endpoint. Excellent sound quality, connected to ethernet. I have already put together two of them and plan more. Maybe start giving them to friends, and encouraging them to get Roon.

However, one problem I would like to solve. When I need to power down the pi3, I have to log in and issue a shutdown command. Easy for me, but also in general a pain in that you cannot just think of it as an audio component that can be powered on and off. Also would not expect other non-techie types to be able to use one that way.

I need a switch that I could press to issue the shutdown command. Or maybe the Roon software could do it? I guess worst case is a command that runs on the Roon server machine that one can invoke easily, say double clicking a script, and it putty into the pi and shut it down.

On the other hand, just pulling the plug, does that cause any problem? I am loathe to do it, as I know it can cause disk corruption. But how likely? Even if it’s easy to reflash the disk, I wouldn’t want a non-techie to have to deal with it.

I know the easiest solution is leave the pi on all the time, and that’s what I’d do, except sometimes you need to power it down for whatever reason (move it). I just feel solving this one problem will complete the excellent package.

Thoughts?

1 Like

How about a shutdown button on the rpi itself?

1 Like