Raspberry pi3,picoreplayer,hifiberry?

Oh finally, someone has said it - I am way too shy… I too would like the elegance (not to mention cost) of an RP3 with suitable DAC set up as a roonbridge under instructions that an idiot like myself could understand, which is challenging I know. Roonbridge for Dummies with appropriate bright yellow cover…

Any technical rooners who could provide this would be worthy of sainthood

1 Like

Noting this post where Jared (@vaguedetails), a self -described Raspbian noob, runs through the steps he took to install RoonBridge on a pi3 and stream to it via Wi-Fi with USB out to an Audioquest Dragonfly.

Yes, I’m tempted by Jared’s post, but I still feel like I might need a few more steps explained, particularly the commands to download and install Roon Bridge

The commands to download and install Roon Bridge are here:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

For my RPi2 fitted with a HiFiBerry Digi+, I just used the HiFiBerry installer to first install Raspbian onto the SD card to be used in the RPi2.

Then I plugged the SD card into the RPi2, and turned it on. The RPi2 is connected to the Ethernet network, so I used Putty to connect to the RPi2 over the network (Raspbian uses username: pi, password: raspberry as default).

Once connected, then I used the three commands listed on the Roon install page for the RPI2 (it’s an ARM device, so I needed RoonBridge armv7hf):

$ curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
$ chmod +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
$ sudo ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

And that was it… up and running as RoonBridge, alongside my RPi3 which uses an IQaudIO DAC+ card, and the RoonReady software from IQaudIO:

1 Like

Thanks - my confidence / temptation level is increasing…

If you go down this road please keep us informed on what physical products you actually buy, how are you connect them up together as well as all this flashing of the raspberry pi et cetera.

SJB

I’m getting closer to the turning off of the main highway, but I still haven’t made the decision to turn ! Flashing I think I get but when we start talking Putty I’m lost again. What could go wrong for the cost of the hardware right ? If I make the leap I shall be sharing the pain…

I did a series of posts (see the HQP section) about installing the NAA software for HQ Player on a Pi2, Beaglebone Black and Cubox-i. I hadn’t ever installed anything in Linux before so set out the details of burning SD cards etc. Rene (kindly ?) said I made it sound like a Boys Own adventure. But it was pretty easy and fun. The good thing about images on SD cards is that if you ever think you’ve messed up, then you haven’t done anything irrecoverable. I’m going to let Rene provide his guide first, because I can be a bit longwinded :astonished:

Boys own adventure sounds good. Like a few lurking on the outskirts of the Roon world I am interested by the possibility of using essentially DIY devices to achieve my ends. It seems intrepid and satisfying to get great sonic results from humble equipment. But…I am not overly computer literate and want to feel that understand each step before committing. I appreciate the support though and will attempt it soon. Just have to prepare the wife and kids for the potential swearing…

Paul, take a deep breath, and take the turning. Even if you’re not computer literate, I think we can provide you with sufficient step-by-step guidance.

Putty is simply an application to communicate with your RPi over the network. If you’ve ever used the command line interface on Windows (the cmd.exe application), then Putty is very similar. If you don’t want to use Putty, then you will need to connect a display (using the HDMI connector on the RPi) and mouse and keyboard (using the USB connectors) to talk to the RPi, and do the Roonbridge installation that way. I didn’t have a spare display handy, so I used Putty instead.

Ah - spare displays, keyboards and HDMI I do have so I may go puttyless. Thanks for the encouragement

If you’ve got the peripherals, then it’s even easier. Just boot up into the Raspbian desktop, use the browser to go to the Roon Bridge installation page, copy the three commands (one at a time), and paste them into the Terminal application which you’ll find on the desktop. Job done.

Geoff how does the digi+ connect to the raspberry because the digi+ doesn’t have power socket,and do you use a linear power supply? Thank you

@Dimitris71,

The HiFiBerry Digi+ board takes its power direct from the Raspberry. It’s the amplifier board that needs the separate power supply.

I don’t use a linear power supply - I happen to use an old Nokia phone charger. Sounds good enough to my old ears…

It’s a HAT (Hardware Attached on Top) board that connects via a 40 pin GPIO header and sits on top of the Pi.

Thank you both for the help.

This might be a stupid question but I will go ahead. Is it possible to install shairport for AirPlay devices on the pi3?

Yes, Here’s a link about it.

Edit: The link refers to an earlier version of the Pi using a wi-fi adaptor, but I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t apply to a Pi3 with built in wi-fi.

Thank you Andybob

Hi Andybob can you please tell me is it possible that i install roonbridge on the Aries mini?