Raspbery Pi and IQAudIO boards

The beast is finished; it’s already installed in the under stairs cupboard and playing away.

Here are the finished pictures just before the cover was fitted. The 4 switches on the front are individual power controls to the network switch and Pi’s; this allows for just a single Pi to be switched off for a reboot or to change the speaker cables etc.

Very pleased with the results, and it sounds better than the Sonos ZP100/ZP120 it replaced for a fraction of the price.

I’ll will work out the final build cost for future reference.

5 Likes

That looks terrific.

I love this version of the case…

Hope IQAudio brings this to us too :slight_smile:
They are developing a case including lcd he mentioned on the forum.

Any news on that case or the new stock of HATs, @Gordon_Garrity?

Btw, the Pi-DAC+ boards are back on stock :slight_smile:

@Gordon_Garrity, any news on the metal case with OLED display?

Will this, this and this be the case? As you posted on twitter.

That’s one of the prototypes. Milled front will now be thicker. It’s still a work in progress but it’s getting there.

Yes plenty of Pi-DAC+ in stock right now, more Pi-DigiAMP+ being fabricated in coming weeks.

We’ve recently moved offices which has taken valuable time away from being able to frequent the forums. I’ll try to keep that in check going forward.

Gordon

Good to hear from you again @Gordon_Garrity!

Hope the design stays as minimalistic as possible. Think Audiolab, Bel Canto, Nuforce, Aune, Brik.

Are you sure a smooth extruded case won’t give it a more high-end look?

Don’t forget to include some good quality rubber feet :slight_smile:

Hi @Gordon_Garrity. I ordered the Pi-DAC+ and Pi-AMP+ with the idea to build a portable Roon-enabled speaker I could move around the house. I did not realise that wifi has not yet been enabled in the software, must have missed this.

Is this something you are working on or planning on working on? Some visibility here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Working on in the background.

You could use the Linux Roon Bridge as a possible alternative?

Gordon

I ended up installing PiCoreAudio on Rpi3 using Squeezebox as Roon endpoint. Working great!

Hmmm, wifi doesn’t work with a Pi 3 and these boards? That’s too bad.

Pi3, Wifi and IQ Audio boards work together perfectly (well, as much as Wifi allows).

You will need to install and config your Pi yourself though, as the closed image available from IQAudio currently has no option to config the Wifi. Just follow this little guide and you’ll be set in no time.

Thanks all. Looks like there are 3 possible methods. I will try Renee’s first and failing this try out the Squeezebox PiCoreAudio. The Linux bridge method sounds complicated, but will try to tackle if needed.

@Gordon_Garrity’s suggestion and mine are actually one and the same. Just give it a go. :slight_smile:

PiCorePlayer will work as well, but you’ll miss out on all the good stuff Roon Bridge / RAAT has to offer.

1 Like

Got it working, your guide was very helpful, thanks.

What does the card image from IQAudio (IQRoon_RC3) provide? Is it just the installation guide as a preconfigured package or is there any additional functionality added?

Functionality is the same: minimal Linux distro, IQAudio drivers loaded, Roon Bridge installed. It’s ready to run and Roon Certified, which gives you nice little icon of the IQ case for your zone – but function-wise it’s identical.

I’ve finally got my rp3 with iqaudio dac+ and pi amp+ running. built my own roon bridge image using Jessie. stopped the on board sound card drivers loading. used wiringpi to switch off the amps mute on boot up. Its wireless as well. Got a 19v Toshiba laptop psu powering it. Its only for the conservatory, but the thing sounds bloody brilliant, wharfedale 10.1 speakers I know are low budget, but crikey. I love it for garden listening.
Living room Roon is b&w cm5s meridian pre and power and audiolab dac.

2 Likes

Finally got around to buying a Pi and Dac+. Built up and running the IQAudIO build in no time at all. Hardest part was building the case.

For those put off by talk of distros and editing etc. I used windows, downloaded an image file from iQAudIO and a utility to copy the image on to a micro SD card - researching what to do and doing it took 10 minutes. Popped SD into Pi plugged in the power and 30 seconds later it appeared, with cute icon of it’s own in roon. Simples.

Got it going in to my main naim, exposure, shahinian system where it sounds amazing for circa £70 all in.

1 Like

I think the various Sonos kit and my main Naim streamer may be going to eBay to fund a crop of Rasberries.

1 Like

What Naim streamer Ged?

SJB

ND5 XS. Great sound but seems a bit silly to have a £2K piece of kit that I am in effect now using as a jitter reducer/DAC.

2 Likes