Ratings by sound quality?

Yes, I like Steve.

1 Like

Hi Jim, We know some reviewers systems already, others could post them. I’m suggesting a starting point not an absolute.

1 Like

Hmmm, I thought the OP was suggesting an option where the listener could give a ‘sonic star’ rating, :thinking: which made sense to me if that’s what listeners like.

To have Roon do so themselves clearly makes little sense as it’s purely subjective.

Cheers.

Ok, are we talking “likes” here?

All reviews are subjective.

Great. That’s our hobby.

1 Like

The “Listener and His / Her Equipment” have nothing to do with the inherent sound quality of any recorded music.

The most important factor is the production quality in the recording studio right through to the quality of pressing for a vinyl record.

Examples of record labels that put sound quality first include:

Chesky Records
Reference Recordings
2xHD
Blue Coast Music
Sound Liaison

1 Like

If I don’t like what I’m hearing, then the sound quality is not good to me. It’s all about the perception of the listener. Nothing else matters. I listen to music for MY OWN enjoyment, not someone else’s. What you’re describing would be an EXACT replication of what was recorded in a studio. That might sound like ■■■■ to my ears. That’s why people use various methods to alter the sound to their liking.

It really comes down to why do you listen to music? Do you listen to hear how it sounded in the studio or because you like what you’re listening to? Those are frequently two different things.

PS: I don’t think I mentioned “inherent” in my post.

Bottom line, a sound quality ratings system by other Roon customers would be of no interest to me, as I posted.

3 Likes

Spoken like a true audiophile.

Thanks god, I am not a audiophile. For me most important is the musical quality. Why should I listen to well recorded crap, while there is so much good (sometimes bad recorded but enjoyable) music.

2 Likes

I have been wanting this for some time. It is my own subjective rating, nothing to do with the format of presentation. There a huge differences in sonic quality from many sources: recording equipment, the venue, and sometimes when the recording was made. There are many older recoring aroun(usually pre 1960) that are incredible performances but sonically lacking by today’s standards.
I would also like to see a text field, free format rating to leave notes for yourself on what you did or didn’t like.

Just play the music you enjoy, you soon remember the good sounding stuff… favourite favs as you go. Another tip is to check out who mastered the great discs. You’ll get familiar with names like Bob Ludwig and many more. That’s all part of the satisfaction of getting to know your music as you delve ever deeper.
Never forget, there are some crap sounding gems out there and hence, the punk genre was born…

1 Like

I think it’s pre punk. The Rolling Stones early albums sound like they were recorded in a bean can in comparison to the Beatles of a similar era to me. Doesn’t stop me me bopping along though. Guess Iv gotten too lazy to analyse and just enjoy the ride.

4 Likes

Hi Jim, I never suggested a sound quality rating from other Roon subs. This could/would be like a rating from The Absolute Sound or Stereophile.

1 Like