Re-design Playback Screen - The let-down of Roon

One of the consequences of the ease of digital piracy is the low investment in digital media. With a few notable exceptions artists and recording companies have dropped the ball in relation to artwork and images that could be bundled with music. The result is a space crying out for Roon to fill, if the non-trivial rights and licensing issues can be solved.

Whatever approach the Roon guys use I would make a plea that it remain within the Roon UI. Opening a general browser for artwork or cover notes feels clunky.

7 Likes

Well, sadly, we have to open an external program now for PDF liner notes viewing. Would love PDF viewing to be integrated into the UI, like jpg viewing.

8 Likes

Letā€™s not forget the Roon main web page upon which their stated intent is to do exactly what this thread is suggesting - as per attached screenshot. Clearly Roon agree with the idea to bring back that which has been lost, in both audio quality and metadata. The only question is how and to what design. This thread should focus on how that design looks, or is implemented - minimal vs rich and all manner in between. If you donā€™t want it, probably good just to vote for an option to disable it in the settings somewhere. On that topic, I do note that some systems have a ā€˜basicā€™ mode - perhaps that would be more to the liking of those that donā€™t want the metadata - sort of like a minimal Winamp for those of you whom may remember! Then none of this would apply anyway. Great discussion, love it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think we are all hung up on the ā€œbookletā€ idea and the skeuomorphic nature of that. Skeuomorphism lost favour with the death of Steve Jobs and Apple went the other way. Googleā€™s Material Design is a nice balance. It represents paper but doesnā€™t try to imitate it. Skeuomorphism would say it had to have ruled lines so people can see itā€™s paper.

There is a lot of information that could be accessible from the playback screen. Thereā€™s a lot of information that should be accessible from the playback screen. Does that mean 101 buttons is the right approach? I donā€™t think so. Does it mean ignoring the content in favour of being a clean interface? I donā€™t think thatā€™s the right approach either.

As an example - we have artist notes today on the artist page. Would it be interesting to read that while listening to a new artist? I think so. But itā€™s now about 3 screens away from where you are. Today we seem to say that if youā€™ve chosen an album youā€™re no longer interested in knowing about the artist. Album notes? Sure Iā€™d like to read those too. Related images? Be nice maybe. Credits. The list goes on.

Enter skeuomorphism - we could ā€œgo digitalā€ and have buttons and menus or we go for something that has another way of handling that. Like a book which has a table of contents. It offers a pretty quick and easy way of navigating a lot of paginated content. And paginating does have a place. Lyrics for example. Should things relating to a single track (lyrics, credits) be separated from other tracks?

1 Like

I have seen this Roon marketing picture of their site show uo.a couple of times when people refer to Roon promise to show inlays but that never had to be taken literaly. They only show the difference of experience in the past and what players like Itunes (also a picture from the past) made out of it. There was never a promise that there would be exact copies of the inlays, just a promise of more rich metadata. Please donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m fond of metadat regarding my music but Iā€™m not a fan of skeuomorphism on the contrary I think thatā€™s a thing of the past, a transition stage we all should leave behind by now. Again, you have to think the other way around. What information would you like to see, would you want it to be static?, dynamic?, interactive? Once you have set these parameters the design will follow. Donā€™t start with the layout, start with the content first.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not often the Naim app is held up as an example for Roon!
It displays the same Rovi data and needs to be clicked to access it and there can be slight delays as the data is accessed/ downloaded.
It is not the ā€œnow playingā€ screen, it is accessed from it.

Whilst there is room for improvement Iā€™d be careful what you wish for guys.

Itā€™s really more and better metadata not how the current stuff is displayed that is the elephant in the room. Letā€™s get more data and then worry about how best to display it.

.sjb

2 Likes

The data weā€™ve got is fine in my opinion, this whole thread is all about the now playing screen - which is like a barren wastelandā€¦

1 Like

Interesting discussion. Personally, I think that Roon fulfils its promise - but its current natural home is the tablet. Thereā€™s incredibly rich data with artist bios, album review and links between artists. Album bios (for want of a better term) to supplement the Allmusic reviews would be nice. I think for any more weā€™re at the mercy of record companies - perhaps weā€™ll see some kind of digital interactive liner notes some day.

I think there could be scope for a ā€œbig screenā€ version of the now playing screen that could show large artwork with the queue or album tracklist perhaps. I think this should be an ā€œextraā€ and not replace the current now playing screen - which is perfect on a tablet.

1 Like

ā€œIā€™m going to jump in here, mostly due to the fact that there has been a notable lack of controversial posts on this forum lately. Have we all gotten fat and happy? I find myself less interested in checking the forum when all the questions are about drivers and network settingsā€¦ā€

hi james, i think weā€™ve pretty much given up putting together wishlists as the ergonomic and functional changes and updates are so few and far between. Just accepting the status quo at the mo and not banging our heads against the door which will not open.

I agree with you, Iā€™m not visiting the forum nearly as much, no interest in 99% of the posts.

Fat and keen-to-see-so-much-more-and-making-do-because-thereā€™s-definitely-nothing-better-overall sort of sums it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fair enough! Itā€™s also summer! (If I may be hemispherocentricā€¦)

Haha. You are being kind to blame it on the seasons.

Iā€™ve not got a problem with the lack of dev in the directions we would all love to see but itā€™s just not happening, lol. We just have to accept it and move on, spend our time listening to music and discovering new hobbiesā€¦like getting out in the summer sunshine with our portable players andā€¦ oh noā€¦ NOT Roon :wink:

I went outside once. The graphics werenā€™t great.

4 Likes

Yeah, but we have FPV goggles nowadays to cushion the blow :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree totally, it would improve it a bit if Roon looked for iOS Acrobat reader and used itstead of Safari

It works in Windows why not iOS

Mike

Not in this hemisphere, itā€™s listening time. Log fires, comfy slippers, if I smoked, a good pipe ā€¦

Lock out the cold and enjoy Beethoven

:stuck_out_tongue:

The Naim example was used to demonstrate the depth & diversity of information available. In the example given, when I compare the detail available in Roon to that available in the Naim app, Naim has far more information available.

Like you, I am not unduly concerned about visual presentation at present. I would, however, like to see that depth of detail available in Roon (i.e. comprehensive Album Credits, Biography, Discography, etc.)

Try the Himalayas for a few days, when did I was convinced it was all in 4K :grin:

1 Like

I must have a closer look but the only thing I feel is in the Naim app that isnā€™t in Roon is the discography. This would be nice to have but integrated into the Tidal screen where perhaps you can toggle full discography and Tidal discography and have a clear indication in full discography mode which are available on Tidal (and hopefully qobuz).

Discogs info would be really nice.

.sjb

2 Likes

I fully agree. As Iā€™m sure you know this has been requested a number of times but I have never seen a response from Roon as to why it isnā€™t there.

@PixelPopper Paul, can you explain or show how Naim deals with the issue of showing albums in a discography that one canā€™t stream?

Fully agree on the discography requirement, if only to make up for the poorness of many reviews which include a phrase similar to ā€˜ā€¦not as good as their last albumā€¦ā€™ . Oh what album would that be then? That alone is my main reason for clicking out of Roon and into Wikipedia/discogs to search for the information.