Re-purpose current PC/Core/Control/Output to use strictly as Core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win 10 Pro/Corei5/16GB RAM/Roon 1.7(build 710)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired Ethernet, Cat6 cabling, Asus RT-AC68R

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Schiit Yggdrasil via USB direct to PC

Description Of Issue
I apologize, I’m not too sure on how to phrase this, but, I certainly appreciate the help.

Right now, I currently have my Roon Core running on my PC (I know, I know…boo this man!), so, my PC is acting as my Core, my control, & my output.

In the market for a new PC. Want to repurpose my current PC to act solely as the Core. No Windows OS, no applications, just the Core.

I suppose what I’m asking is, do I essentially have to start over and perform a migration as though I’m on new barebones hardware?

Thanks!

You have to have an OS to run RoonServer and windows runs it just fine. Just remove all the other software on the machine.

1 Like

Hello @Joe_Strain ,

You will still need to use an Operating System for the Roon Core and since you are not using an compatible Intel NUC model, you’ll want to have Windows (easiest) or a flavor of Linux installed on it. You can install RoonServer on the PC and remove any unneeded apps:

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks to @Rugby & @noris greatly for your prompt replies. I know you folks are obviously quite busy this week, so, feel free to answer at your convenience, but, does ROCK only work with the NUC platform?

As a long-time user, I’m a bit embarrassed that I don’t know this yet, but, I will try to consult the documentation again. Thank you
EDIT: Read this post by Andrew at dCS. Apologies for not knowing better. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Joe,

Is one of those No… but. Answers. So, let me start out by explaining the but, first. The ROCK install only contains the base drivers necessary for the exact hardware in the Intel NUCs. So, if the other device includes the exact or similar hardware then yes it might work, but, it might not. It will very much be a “try and see” scenario.

I have setup ROCK on other machines including a old 2013 Desktop and it worked. But, other machines might not. Keep in mind that installs on non-specified hardware is referred to as a MOCK.

Which leads to, if you setup a MOCK machine, it is considered Tinkering and not officially supported. Which makes sense, since ROCK is only tested and guaranteed to work with the specified hardware

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt reply @Rugby !

As I said earlier, I have my DAC connected to my main PC that’s also currently running the Core/Output,/Control. In this case, as I’m loathe to do an unnecessary start-over by installing Roon Server on this PC when I get a new one, do you think it would make much more sense for me to simply strip this computer of all extraneous apps, disconnect it from the monitor, and leave it in the corner, connected to my DAC, while controlling it via the new one? Thanks

If the machine which is currently the core is working to your expectations, then, yes, remove any unnecessary programs. Add in a remote program like the free version of Teamviewer or Splashtop so you can control from the other machine. And worry about upgrading when you feel you need to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.