Real time frequency spectrum display?

Does anyone know of an app or an AU component that displays the frequency spectrum of digital audio you stream to it? I run macOS or Linux.

I’d like to find out more about the frequency content of the music I listen to.

I’m aware of software like REW, but I don’t want the acoustic frequency spectrum; rather, the spectrum of the PCM bitstream.

Thank you.

Me too! I’ve been even looking at external hardware for audio spectrum analyzer display too for my stack, but nothing looks good. The closet I’ve found hardware has been http://www.bds.com.tw/en/product_1086425.html or BDS Electronics Co.-PP -131. Both are sold on amazon.

Looking for something like this?

2024-02-09_15-45

Dam ,I listen to more than 31 bands. :wink:

1 Like

Same! Too many bands, not enough spectrum for them all.

1 Like

Thanks.

I was hoping for a software solution if one exists.

You said you’re on Linux right?

I like CMUS for a terminal-based player and vis for a terminal-based visualizer.

Below is what I had setup on Arch and themed based on background wallpaper color.

CMUS on bottom left, vis on top, and Castero a podcast terminal on the bottom right.

1 Like

Thanks. Vis looks like what I’m looking for. I’ll check it out.

1 Like

My choice and it’s a DAC to boot.

1 Like

Knew it would be that DAC before clicking. I love mine but never have the display actually on

1 Like

My solution runs on a Raspberry Pi with its 7“ touchscreen, standard RPi-OS and Roon Bridge install, some config to establish a loopback virtual soundcard, additional tweaks to turn on and off when streaming from my Roon grouped zone with the main rig, as well as free software from the repository.

This way, I get synchronized peak-hold spectrum analyzer, stereo level and channel correlation, as well as EBU128 dynamic range metering displays to gaze at.
I can even look at the graphs on my Windows and iPad remotes via VNC viewer (screenshot taken from iPad) .

1 Like

Thanks, this looks perfect for my need. What software do you use? Would you mind sharing your setup?

I’ll write up a step by step guide on how to set this up, but it may take a little time, so watch out!

2 Likes

As it happens I have a Pi4B sitting idle, so that would be perfect. Thanks so much.

Here you go!
Find the Roon-Bridge-Dynamic-Range-Metering-RPi-Set-Up-Guide on my github page.
Be aware, that due to different Pi models and OS version, there will likely be hurdles to master!
Let’s hear how it’s going - good luck and have fun!

2 Likes

Update
Instruction for RPi5 added.

2 Likes