Really!? Must Be A Joke [Best Digital Interconnects $1,000 and Above]

This is exactly my opinion about this stuff.

„ A budget tells us what we can’t afford, but it doesn’t keep us from buying it“.
William Feather

@Andrew_Stoneman So you’ve managed to do two things.
First you’ve taken some type personal offense where none was meant or intended.
Seocnd you’ve taken the thread entirely off topic.

The thread is not about expensive audio equipment, it’s about completely unnecessary and way over priced digital interconnects. As always when one is battering with an audiophile one has to over qualify each and every statement so let me begin:
Any and all properly designed and built digital interconnects, be they Ethernet cables, coaxial cables, optical cables or USB cables, that meet or exceed the proper and relevant specifications for that type of cable, when used as intended, will work and sound exactly the same.

Digital interconnects are not power amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, streaming devices, speakers or anything else so these items are not relevant to this discussion. Digital signal transmission is best left up to those with the proper expertise in digital signals.

16 Likes

Enjoy the music!

5 Likes

It’s a forum, people are free to chime in without being asked. I, for one, if I see ■■, I call ■■, so let me do that: audiophile digital interconnects are a scam. That’s on topic.

14 Likes

If you are getting shocked you need a much more expensive mains cable :wink:

3 Likes

I can sell you a special pencil to draw that line, only £5000 each, but you will need the special solid gold pencil sharpener to keep it in tip top sharpness for £3000

1 Like

What, no AC filters and regenerators?! Cheapskate!!!

You can claim that you can hear 40KHz signal at -200dB, too. On a free forum you will be called out about that. Although it is slightly more believable than hearing difference between digital cables.

7 Likes

Keeping on topic about cables, just digressing.

What I love about power cables (I speak of the UK 3 pin plug and I’m fairly qualified to say this) is that no matter the cost or quality of the cable they all share the same patented UKCA marked plug design/standard. The same fuse type, the same prong type. These plugs generally cost £1 to £1.50 each.

The wall sockets are fairly standard items also and in the UK the ring main cables are 2.5mm2, solid copper cables. Nothing special about these I’m afraid.

A mains filter is a good solution and in the HVAC industry we see them on AC equipment and they work, to a degree.

The price of your system is nothing compared to your wonderful hearing habilities LoL

Gotta use organically-raised, free-range shellac beetles to get an optimum disc.

No one has an issue with you wishing to blow a metric tonne of cash on your system.

The issue many of us have is the audiophile press’ lies

“Buy this multi-thousand (insert currency unit of choice) cable and it will elevate your system to hitherto unknown levels…”

Novices to our hobby may well just do that when they would be far better investing that level of coin in room treatments, DSP, better speakers etc. which yield immense and measurable improvements.

I’ve yet to see an independent test which supports measured audible changes from cables in the digital domain.

You claim to hear differences in digital cables.

My challenge: Prove it.

Make recordings with a high end cable and an Amazon Basics cable. Invert one of the recordings and sum it with the other (null test). If there’s a difference, I’ll eat my hat.

13 Likes

Unlike religion, where many things are simply not provable, in the world of audio, as is clearly pointed out in the above quote, things are very provable. Science doesn’t need to be believed to be true, it just is true.

6 Likes

The ■■ 1363 plug is a marvel of over-engineering. 25.6 mm² line and neutral pins and a 32 mm² earth pin. Both have a greater CSA than the mains cables feeding most consumer units (25 mm²) and the earth pin has a CSA twice that of the main CPC (16 mm²). Built-in appliance-specific rated fuse leaves every other electrical system the world over in the dust.

It’s only drawback is that an unplugged appliance presents a serious danger to the unshod foot. The pins almost invariably point upwards when unplugged!

You’re overlooking the “magical” properties of that last metre of audiophile power cable which fixes everything that’s wrong between the power station and your mains socket… Not forgetting the “directional” copper, “audiophile” mains fuses and that, according to the “golden-eared” among us, all of this is audible! :rofl:

9 Likes

That’s a UK thing. In the US, many plugs are like this:

The ones that aren’t are evil.

2 Likes

5 hours until I can dish out a heart Graeme

Don’t forget the fuses in the UK plugs. The fuse wire in a 13 amp fuse is approx 0.2mm2.

All that audiophile juice whizzing through that and then a £5000 cable, that’s as thick as that from the power pole seems rather unnecessary.

1 Like

It’s also something completely different than digital cables for 5K

2 Likes

Yeah, but just look at how skinny those pins are! :laughing:

1 Like

Which is funny, since they need to carry twice the current for the same power compared to Europe.

3 Likes

Well, there’s a business idea. We should start selling UK-style replacement sockets and power cables to American audiophiles. Could even advertise that they will bring “Great British sound” to any piece of equipment!

7 Likes