Reboot Roon Core?

This is very basic and maybe a dumb question. I see a lot of “reboot Roon Core.” What is this exactly? A simple reboot of the machine where the core resides? Or something else?

Thanks

Mike

Yes, reboot the computer.

On my Qnap NAS, Incan stop and restart the Roon App.

Every installation of Roon Server should provide it’s (OS dependent) way to just restart the Roon Server software. A restart of the Roon Server software is not the same as a reboot of the Roon Core (the machine/device Roon Server runs on). Some problems/situations can only be resolved (maybe) by a reboot of the core and a restart of the Roon Server alone may not change anything.

2 Likes

If in doubt, re start the machine, but rebooting the app has always been enough for me with QNAP.

Hate to admit it, but I still need more clarification to understand what is involved….
When you say to reboot the Core: in my case the Core resides on the Roon Nucleus. Should I just turn this device off and then on again? Is that what is meant by “Reboot the Core”?

And similarly, I use the iOS app. Should I restart this app?

Quite simply yes. Rebooting the core is that simple. Turn it off preferably unplug it , wait a minute then restart.

It also helps if at the same time you restart all the network kit. Same thing unplug wait re plug and wait until each component starts up before starting the next

Think of it as clearing out the cobwebs :joy:

The iOS app is probably restarted fairly often anyways

You can use Nucleus’ web interface to power off, reboot or restart components. To power on Nucleus you have to use the button on the back of the unit.

1 Like

I just had to reboot my Roon Nucleus and my Router to resolve a problem. I usually pull the plug, but this time I used the button. That turned out to be a bad idea because I could not see any evidence as to whether the Nucleus is on or off. The button feels the same whether on or off, so there is no “tell” that I could discern. Nor did I spot a light anywhere. Am I missing something or is the Nucleus normally this opaque?

Yes, the button state is indeed opaque.
After switching on the Nucleus using the button, the only sign of life is that the lights on the network connector start to flash. And you should be able to access the Nucleus again via the web interface after the reboot.
I have already had to press the Nucleus power button several times before the device started up.

Never pull the plug to shut down the Nucleus as this may result in a corrupted database.

1 Like

Uli, Thank you for this clarification and tip. I have typically pulled the plug to reboot my Nucleus. In future, I will use the button. And watch for the light from my Ethernet connection.

2 Likes

Best way: reboot the unit via the web interface, and shut it down there as well. To power it on once powered off you will need the power button.

1 Like

I believe there are 2 press options (on the NUC so it should be he same on the Nucleus)

• Quick Press
  • Elongated Press , 2-3 seconds

the quick one turns off “nicely” the long press forces a shut down.

As I recall @danny recommends the quick press option for “normal” ON/OFF and the elongated press for emergencies

1 Like

A really bad idea and the best way to corrupt Roon’s library which will have you back here, more mystified than you are now.

BTW - I run ROCK and once a day, for form’s sake, I restart Roon’s Server software (rather than a Reboot) by using the GUI. That should be enough to resolve any problems and is easy enough to accomplish.

1 Like

Such a sad state that you feel it necessary to restart daily.

I am lucky i have the Electricity Utility to do it for me

This is not a commercial data server its a bit oh hi fi ? Different rules apply . I onlyneed it when I’m listening

Incidentally i have my NUC set to autorestart on power restore. Its been on and off anything up to 2 sometimes 3 times a day without a single db corruptio. Tempting fate ?

There seems to be a memory leak that will, after a few days or so, cause the music to stop playing, often in the middle of a tune.

It’s no big deal; a tempest in a teapot to complain about.

It was 4 years ago that I first started troubleshooting a memory leak with people in these forums. I remember it well, it was at the start of Covid and I was working on building out expanded emergency room capabilities, the days were very long and all I wanted was a reliable music system to listen to when I finally got home. Over the past four years I have made some changes, Roon is now running on Debian and it has been stable for over a year now. Currently my Roon server has an uptime of 56 days and the RoonServer process is at 21 days.

I fully understand the struggles of memory leaks and the urge to restart regularly, that doesn’t change the fact that it sad that we accept that as a suitable workaround.

I think you’d be a bit more vocal if you had to reboot the rest of your HiFi every day to get sound out of it. Or even if you had to reboot your computer every time you wanted to check your emails. It’s amazing to me that we as a community accept that the “restart Roon every day” workaround is something that we’re willing to put up with.

BUT I DO …

I live. In South Africa, our power supply is constrained so we get “load shedding “ ie 2.5 hr blocks of power cuts , in the worst case 2-3 times a day. When power is restored everything has to be restarted. This has been the case for around 5yrs. Google Eskom for a laugh

During these cuts often our internet provider is out too and often 3-4G as well so email is out as well

Music is a luxury I worry more about fridges and freezers .

My main working PC is totally separate, ROCK/NUC is a standalone piece of hi fi :sunglasses:

Please don’t try and explain UPS