Recent slowing of Roon response time

Hi Markus, thanks for chiming in.
Yes, that is a part of the equation, but disabling Qobuz also disables the Roon Cloud functionality that is showing the delays, such as “New Albums for you” or “popular tracks”.
These are not retrieved from Qobuz, but rather from Roon.

1 Like

Your welcome. @benjamin cam you review cloud logs of ROON about possible latency, timeout etc problems?
Seems the infrastructure / backend has been suffering more severely recently as seen by users frontend rendering / usability performance.
And as mentioned here this is on different cores and Roon remotes - so the root cause somewhere else.

Hey @Mikael_Ollars
Just an idea, just saw it:

Your Asus AX58 is a pure Wifi router, right?
If so, which modem connects the Asus to the internet?
Could it be that this device is not a pure modem, but has router functions?
I’m thinking here in particular of a double activated NAT function, both on the Asus and on the modem, which always causes unnecessarily high latencies.
If that’s the case, NAT and DHCP must be disabled for the modem and enabled for Asus only.
For a modem the best would be Bridge mode.

Apologies if these considerations are redundant.

No, they are relevant in certain setups.
My Asus RT-AX58U connects to a Fibre Media Converter, but this one does not “route” in the sense of NAT or similar. I live in an apartment and the fibre networking devices are all owned/maintained by a separate company from my “landlord”. I then choose an ISP from the suppliers that have an agreement with the fibre owner.
I suppose this is how it works for most apartment dwellers, at least in Europe.

As you can see from my “tracert” previously that response times are fine, except from the last “hop”, to the googleusercontent-device.

1 Like

Now playing from an All-In-One setup, complete Roon on a Windows 11 based machine.
Thats a HP Elitebook 840 G6 (Core i5, 16Gb RAM, 250Gb NVMe) wih a 5Tb portable LaCie USB disk.
So, a bit fewer tracks, around 110K and the 300 albums from Qobuz.
Conclusion; No particular change in behaviour, still seeing the blowfish on Home screen and under artists Popular tracks.

Elitebook on 5Ghz WLAN, however. I don’t see any significant slowing of playback or such. I’m controlling playback now from the iPad and playing back to a wired endpoint without delays or hickups.

Have you tried using DDNS? It works better for me with my router and my ISP (Bahnhof) not just for ROON but for all my internet activity

“DDNS or Dynamic DNS is a service that updates the IPv4 address for A records and the IPv6 address for AAAA records periodically. Such a service is very useful when your ISP has provided a dynamic IP address that changes periodically, but you always need an address that you can use to connect to your device remotely.”

Hey @Mikael_Ollars,

I wanted to check in on this thread to see if you were still running into delays on the latest update?

Thanks!

1 Like

Looking into a few view right now it seems a bit quicker to display NRFY on the home screen and Top tracks on the artist view.
But i still see the “squiddy” though.

Still, i’ll have a look this afternoon/evening as the issue is usually less in the early morning in Europe. (It’s about a 6:45 here, CET)

And thanks for giving this attention!

You will never get rid of the squidgy I am afraid. It’s just their slow architecture nothings going to change that side of things. It should just remain on previous ones and just refresh in bg so you don’t notices

Hi Ben,
i think the reaponse has improved a bit actually? I’m on build 1202 on all components now and NRFY and Top Tracks are less laggy than they have been recently.

I can still see “squiddy” momentarily in these views but the content is displayed pretty swiftly thereafter, all in all an OK user experience.

1 Like

Hey @Mikael_Ollars,

Thanks for your patience while I was out of the office. I’m glad to hear things have improved with a recent update! :+1:

I see that you’ve updated to build 1211, are things still feeling better?

Actually, the squiddy-situations described here are pretty similar to what i described in my last post, improved, not instant. Good enough!

However startup in the new build (Roon Remote) seem slower, the screen turns black for some 5-8 seconds before Roon is shown, theres a delay before starting playback on the endpoints that are usually instantly starting.

At least thats the initial impresson on my iPad 2018 (latest iPadOS) and even more so on the old iPad Mini 2 (iPad OS 12.5.7).

The newer iPad 12.9" 2020 is quicker though, and there the behaviour seems better.

So something has changed here regarding startup procedures and also playback initialization, which affects older hardware in a negative way.

Edit: I reinstalled the Roon Remote app on the iPad 2018, and was shocked to see it now “weighs in” at 450Mb for the app only!!! Thats an indication it’s time to reconsider your app-architecture!
But, after reinstall the behaviour is slightly improved regarding startup time and playback start, but not significantly. Say 4sec of black screen on startup, and 3-6sec to start playback of local content to hardwired endpoint.
Playback start is delayed significantly on the iPad Pro also.

Edit2: I’m on Early Access server-side, and Remote is 2.0.0.01211

1 Like

Has ROON done changes in its infrastructure / architecture ?

After some Rooning around this afternoon, it seems that every time the audio sample rate changes, there a period of caching (?) going on, meaning wait times of up to 10 seconds before next track starts to play?
While waiting the progress bar for scrubbing the tune “flashes” back and forth, then my DAC says “click” and changes sample rate and the tune starts. If the next song in the queue is of the same sample rate the track shift is instant?

Hey @Mikael_Ollars,

Thanks for the update! Typically there can be a very short pause in between sample rate changes, but certainly not to that extent.

Does the same thing happen when playing from a different output other than your DAC? If you hooked up headphones directly to your core, do you experience this delay?

I don’t have the option to use any of the built in audio zones on the Core, except for a physically attached DAC (USB). And i did give it a try right now, even if things seem to have stabilized.
There was some confusion and discrepancies in the expected state of my versions due to Localized metadata. I have since moved to Early Access on the server, where i previously was not.

The gaps between tracks or on track changes have gone, i tried with two RAAT devices (RaspberryPi with RopieeeXL and a SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo)

However, there is still a black screen on all of my iPads when starting the Roon Remote app (whether Early Access or not).
On the iPad 2018, some 5 seconds.
On the iPad Pro 2020, some 3-4seconds.
On the old iPad Mini 2, over 10seconds!!!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.