Recommendations please - best cheap USB DAC for Raspberry Pi endpoint

Hi all,

I’m after a cheap(ish) DAC - probably under $120/£100 - to go on the end of a Rasperry Pi endpoint for my Roon system. I currently have an early AudioQuest Dragonfly, a Chord Mojo and a Roksan DAC and they all perform well, but the Mojo has started turning itself off, meaning I have to manually turn it back on every time I want to play music in that room (oh the pain!).

Is the best bet to just buy another Dragonfly, or are any of the Chinese options good? It needs to be USB powered and compatible with RooPiee.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Would a DAC hat on your Pi work for you? If yes, there are a few to choose from and finding and fitting suitable cases are well within budget.

The Topping D10 could fit the bill.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-ES9038Q2M-OPA2134-Amplifier-Decoder-Black/dp/B08FC757YY/

Might the mojo be suffering from a swollen or dead battery?

The Mojo can be run with just USB power (although this can diminish sound quality apparently) so you could remove the battery to see if that solves the problem with it switching of and (if does but it sounds rubbish) buy a replacement battery from Chord directly.

For ~£100, the Topping is a very good shout I think.

I have been using a Schiit Fulla ($109) with good results.
I also have a Schiit HEL on my main PC for the mic input for gaming/meetings, although it is $199 so a little above your target price.

… and the Modi is well regarded and in the same price bracket.

I have a DragonFly 1.2, and based on this I’d pass on another. It was okay for the price when I purchased it, but there’s much more competition now, and I think you can do better.

I also have the Mojo and a 2Qute, and love these DACs. I’d consider contacting Chord Electronics for a repair and / or battery replacement. Hopefully, your budget will cover the cost of this.

1 Like

Good call, I have the OG Modi and have heard good things about the current Modi+ ($129).

1 Like

Depending on what sort of capability you are after, why not consider a HAT for your Pi and cut out the vagaries of a USB connected device.

2 Likes

Consider the SMSL SU1 which can be bought for around $70. It’s DSD512 and MQA capable, can be powered from your Pi (use at least a 2A psu for a Zero 2W more for a 3/4) and sounds amazing.

2 Likes