Recommended Ethernet switches

The Aqvox switch starts out as the same DGS-108 as Paul Pang modifies. I have no idea if one is any better than the other, but it is interesting that they both use the same starting point.

My system is somewhat described in my initial response: A custom pc that is fanless (uses heat pipes and an SSD) running Roon and HQPlayer, PS Audio DirectStream dac, the AQvox switch, Sonore microRendu, TPLink MC210CS copper-to-optical converters, Synology 218+ nas, Wireworld STE and AudioQuest Diamond internet cables, Wireworld PSB USB cable. All of this connecting to a modified Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE pre-amp, 2 monoblock Wyred 4 Sound mAmps (for bass speakers), 2 monoblock Jolida Fusion 211 tube amps (for upper speakers), Artemis Eos 2.1 speakers, various ic’s and speaker cables. Complex mf, but sounds beautiful.

I think that I would put the switch upgrade on the same level as a USB cable upgrade. But I can’t determine that with any certainty. I know that a recent change of ic from pre-amp to the Jolidas was a bigger improvement, for all that is worth.

2 Likes

Where do we buy that Aqvox switch in USA? I don’t see any any Aqvox products in Amazon

I bought it from Germany as I was unable to find it in the USA.

Any link that you can share with me?

This link may help: http://www.aqvox.de/index_en.html

info@aqvox.de email address

One thing I would like to offer as a way to help folks tune their system.

Find an excellent solo classical piano recording (I was using Daniil Trifinov playing Chopin, this afternoon) and listen carefully to how the high notes sound as they expand into the room. Almost any change you make to any cables, power supplies, switches, etc., will be audible as an improvement or detriment to the delicate sound of those notes.

I was deciding if I wanted to change the power supply for a TPLink optical connector from an iFi unit to a feed off of the HDPlex 200 LPS that powers my NAS. The answer was no as those notes sounded “crunchy” rather than “smooth”. Like peanut butter.

Dont forget that JCAT also modifies the same switch but for half the money that AQVOX wants.

Peanut butter comes as Crucnhy or smooth where I am… which should I go for?

1 Like

I think he means the difference between crunchy and smooth! As someone who gags at the very though of peanut butter it is an analogy guaranteed to put me off making my own comparison! :face_vomiting:

I emailed those yesterday but no response yet.

Anything similar available in USA?

So I emailed Paul Pang. According to him, his modded D-link switch is better than AQvox:

Hi,
My modified switch is better than the Aqvox switch,
Linear PSU for my switch is highly recommend.

TCXO switch is US$219,
Linear PSU for the switch is US$249,
1M DC cable is US$39.

Not clear if better because of the “bundled” Linear Power Supply or alone.

As a network engineer I offer my opinion – based in having studied the science of networks and network gear, and with responsibility for the contents and workings of a large corporate datacenter with $M’s of network equipment – that a simple home network switch simply has the job of effectively moving data packets from point A to point B.

Unless you plan to sit your switch on top of your audio gear, I can’t see how any other electrical specification of basic switch operation could possibly effect sound quality, as long as it’s a) working correctly; b) not overwhelmed with network traffic (unlikely in a home setting unless you have several kids streaming movies/online gaming while you’re trying to play hi-res audio. Even then, still unlikely as your internet connection becomes your bottleneck, effectively preventing congestion/saturation on your local/home network which is capable of operating at far higher speeds).

While I’ve bought into many audiophile tweak concepts, I stop short of the network itself being part of the audio SQ chain, outside of proper operation.

Current typical spec for a home switch would be 1GB. How many ports you need depends on how many devices you have to connect. As has been said by others, a managed switch is more than you need at home and asking for headaches.

Stick with a current model from a name brand, get good Cat6 or better Ethernet cables, plug in and be happy.

8 Likes

So Jon:

To summarize:

1 - You don’t believe in “audiophile” ethernet switches

2 - You believe in Ethernet Cables.

Correct?

For #1, you don’t think better internal, low noise capacitaters, better connectors, wiring, and possible regulated (possibly linear) power supply would help?

Correct; thank you for shortening that up :smile:

No, I don’t believe those would help, provided the switch is doing it’s fundamental job of getting the data packets in the correct and timely order from source to target. I don’t believe there is such thing as jitter on Ethernet and EMI/signal noise is fairly unlikely under most home network conditions and to any degree they may be would be effectively compensated by TCP/IP and Ethernet protocols, rendering such minor problems inconsequential to the receiving equipment.

Just my $.02 but there’s some understanding of the fundamentals baked into that.

2 Likes

Will you allow me to copy/paste your write up on switchers into the big CA thread running there?

Sure. Will be interesting to see what others have to say!

On CA?? Your view will be quickly dismissed, I promise. Have you read some of the threads about the lengths (no pun intended) that some of those guys are going to in order to extract any extra perceived/anecdotal SQ gains in their USB and ethernet connectivity?? CA is a forum for sheer madness. imho.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I’ve seen :). Platinum-coated-6"-thick-cryo-frozen, production overseen by a Santeria-priest, Japanese Coptic Rabbi and the CEO of Synergistic Research, Ethernet cables improve soundstage, inner detail, PRAT, bass coherency, and make your spine tingle while pouring you an espresso.

4 Likes

I use good quality nothing fancy ethernet cables from Blue Jeans Cable. Have at least two dozen of them. Never had one go bad.

1 Like