Recommended powersupply for Intel NUC and Cisco 2960 switch

This is important so I say this again. For those who are seeking a LPS for NUC, a 19V model has to be used. At 12V there is no margin for voltage drop, which can happen with LPS. (This does not apply to non-NUC mini PC which may have totally different voltage requirements.)

19v @ 3.5a is also the spec of the Nucleus SMPS and what Danny has recommended for an LPS, specifically:

All you chaps buying LPSUā€™s do you know anything about the units you are choosing iro ability to 1) reject incoming noise, 2) generate very little themselves and 3) provide a stable output.

There are plenty out there, and theyā€™re definitely not all made equal nor do they necessarily deliver the audiophile marketing promises.

Iā€™ll be trying one made by Sean Jacobs of Custom Hifi Cables, the man who designed the power supply for the top-of-the-range two box Innuos

https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-assembled-devices/linear-power-supply-unit-l-100/

Although I havenā€™t done any comparisons with other linear power supplies, I have used both the 12V and 19V versions of this ATL LPS. They both seem to be well-built and work satisfactorally.

1 Like

Not cheap, I just got a quote for my ROCK/MOCK which is 12v/3a max draw and its 650 quid. Thats 100 quid more than the pc :slight_smile:

No, a good LPS is not cheap, but it has a 30 day trial period if you are not happy with it and I reckon that a really well designed and made LPS is the best way to find out if a LPS really makes a noticeable difference.

For those doubting the Chinese ones my one comes in well in the below tests its a ZeroZone Super PSU

Tested to output 11.426V.

Not saying this LPS is bad. Itā€™s indeed better than other ones in the test especially if compared to the one with 34% voltage drop. Just saying voltage drop is a common result of a LPS. Thatā€™s why I said one should not use a 12V LPS for a 19V NUC. Below 12V one may expect stability issues. A little voltage drop below 19V is comparatively much safer than a voltage drop from 12V.

I wouldnt use if for a nuc its not the right voltage but for mine which is 12v its working fine and its not the deathtrap that a lot think the cheap ones are. I agree no change would be preferable, but this was an experiment really to see if it brought any improvement and i did not want to spend more than the price of the unit itself. i decided to put the old psu back in place to see if i could really tell a difference, before I had not done an a/b i swapped it out and thought it made little difference. How wrong I was, it cleans up the bottom end, which now i am using dsp room correction is a lot more noticable. I think I will save up and likely go for a HDPEX as they are a more sensible cost and can likely drive something else in the rach saving on another spms.

1 Like

Sorry about not making this clear - my previous reply was not directed to you, but there are other people who thought 12V LPS is ok for NUC in a different thread.

Iā€™m glad you experienced SQ improvement from your investment.

No worries.

I use the HDPlex 200 watt device and it is an excellent bit of kit. Well worth the outlay.

I have a couple of them. the nice thing is the supplies are all independent tooā€¦no common grounds.

ā€œTrue Separate Rail Design. No shared Ground. Guarantee No Cross RFI/EMI Interference. This is a must for multi-rail Linear PSU. All output can work at the same time with no loss of performance and no cross-talk with each other.ā€

This Sean Jacobs / Custom HiFi Cables power supply is fantastic. A major upgrade to the sound of my Nucleus+ with much greater presence, broader and deeper, more solid soundstage, improved resolution, greater detail and tonal texture etc. Iā€™m a very happy bunny. I couldnā€™t recommend one strongly enough for someone who has already spent on a Nucleus+. Sean is also a very nice (and patient) guy to deal with.

I got a quote off him and kindly passed on it way over anything I would pay, I fact it was more than my ROCK core.

Itā€™s like a Naim power supply upgrade: it elevates the performance into something thatā€™s effectively a different product but for a cost thatā€™s a significant percentage of the original item. The price of Seanā€™s power supply (around 900 with Mundorf caps etc.) is not at all unreasonable for someone who has forked out 2.5k on a Nucleus+ since it takes the performance to an entirely different level, as it should as a well-designed and highly-specced power supply with massive toroidal transformer, all of which comes at a price. I have heard of people questioning the value of a LPSU because they bought a cheap product that had only a marginal impact on the audio performance of their gear, if any. Well, sadly, you get what you pay for.