Release date for iOS App?

Nothing could make me go back the JRiver, I’d do LMS and iPeng before JRiver. JRiver’s 90% focus on everything but audio doesn’t cut it for me anymore.

It’s not perfect, that is why I am trying Roon for a year of course, but it does at least have the basic playback features, which are actually quite vital in the scheme of things

I’m not staff. Just trying to help give you some insight based on what I know in the hope that it helps understand where it is up to.

It will be soon and IMHO it looks awesome.

You’re right, the iOS delays are getting a little tiresome for those of us following this thread And Splashtop is an inelegant solution.

Here’s a thought: Get a Nexus 9 and download the app. Use it as a dedicated controller. When the iOS app comes out, try it out. Like iOS better? Wipe the Nexus tablet and eBay it. Prefer the Nexus? Keep using it. In audiophile dollars this pretty cheap solution.

My take: Roon’s great right now and a relative bargain (especially for a lifetime subscription). Getting in on the ground floor with a lifetime subscription is participating in crowdfunding. Anybody with common sense knew there would be a few glitches like the iOS delay. The team’s CV suggests that in the not-too-distant future it Roon will be a polished and robust product.

2 Likes

So, most companies are pretty tight lipped about their roadmap and/or schedules because of the sentiment being thrown around in this thread. I’ve been as open with you guys as I can be. No goalposts have moved, and no large changes have been made in the schedule. We did intend to have this out a few weeks ago, but it took a bit longer than we had hoped. That said, we are talking about a few weeks, not 6 months. In software development, this is not a disaster.

@ncpl’s approach is how I see many have been have been doing it: old system runs for family, new system is Roon for the household-audio-decision-maker until it meets the needs of full family.

Now, if @Chris_Wright, @fritzg, or anyone else made the mistake of buying based on future promised features, I’ll be happy to refund those members. My words were meant as openness to the community, not a delivery date in a sealed contract. If you require that, the answer is “we are working on it and it’ll be out when it is out”.

Looking back on this thread, I’ve given you accurate weekly updates on the progress of iPad support. If you feel that I misled you, or somehow deceived you, please let me know and I’ll refund your money and unfortunately, all I can do about your wasted time is apologize.

Members are posting about their good experiences in the private alpha testers area on this site. The release is imminent and will have no cost on top of your existing membership.

21 Likes

@AvilleAudio, That’s what @Physh360 did.

He couldn’t wait any longer and just got an Android Tablet (an unsupported one too) and wiped it installed the latest OS and is in hog heaven with his Meridian Explorer2 on his sumo lounge.

Hi Danny. I appreciate the fact that you guys keep us updated on the roadmap and approximate time frames. Very few other companies do and I’m beginning to understand why.

No good deed goes unpunished.

These software releases remind me of the excitement of Christmas, when I was a kid. I can’t wait!

Keep up the good work.

The problem with @ncpl 's approach is that not all of us have the audiophile hardware to run multiple systems. I’ve already upgraded hardware to run Roon. But until it is ready for use by the family, it will be set aside and the new hardware to run Roon looks like a bad investment.

I’m sure we’ll run Roon when there is an iOS remote for it, after all we have nine months left in our subscription and have a significant investment in new hardware to run it. Until then though it will go on the shelf and family will be retrained on the old audio software.

Not to be too smarmy, but I think @danny’s summation is pretty accurate. As a veteran of about 30 years of being on the receiving end of software updates, I honestly don’t see what the negativity is about. IMO, the Roon team has been way better than average in rolling out new features (as part of really stable releases), keeping us apprised of the roadmap, and being responsive to customer problems and suggestions.

My 2 cents.

–David

5 Likes

Good to hear that release is imminent. Can’t wait.

Only negativity I have is that I should not have considered Roon a household product. It’s just not there yet without an iOS remote. I should have waited to implement it as our main audio program or invested in a core capable of running multiple core software systems like others have.

:sunny: :sunny:

4 Likes

I think you folks should cut Danny some slack. Roon has been very responsive to user requests – much more than many other companies. This is a new product where there has been already a lot of progress.

5 Likes

@steveoat87 Completely agree, if these people are so unhappy then maybe they would be better served elsewhere, I for one understood that I was buying in to a product that was in its infancy and was prepared to accept the initial shortcomings and enjoy the ride as it developed, I suspect the people demanding the IOS app is released now would also be the most vocal if it had any issues.

I for one am happy to wait until the developers are ready, I am sure they are working flat out which they should know is much appreciated.

Cheers

Russ

3 Likes

I think the problem is one of heightened expectations. Roon was released and sold as an incomplete product and for several weeks there regular (weekly) and incremental updates. That set the stage for the expectation (on my part at least) that Roon subscribers would get continued regular updates as the product becomes more complete. Those updates have slowed. It’s been almost a month since the last update, not including fix for the leap second and Tidal.

It appears Roon is slowing it’s update cycle and improvements will be less incremental. We all just need to change our expectations.

I’m sure my family and I will love Roon when it has the feature set envisioned at launch.

Our releases have slowed, but our next build will have more major features than all the little things you got right after release.

Everyone, thanks for the support. It is much appreciated.

That said, I feel for @fritzg and @Chris_Wright. Unlike many others who also got in early, they got bit. It happens. All I can offer is my best to make it sting less.

12 Likes

Ok guys, this thread is no longer productive, so we’re going to lock it.

We’ve been very open about what we’re working on and the dates we’re working to hit, and on balance I think we’ve done pretty well. When there were issues, we’ve worked with anyone who’s contacted us to make things right.

Obviously, we want to continue being just as open, and we’ll also need to balance that against the feedback in this thread, all of which we appreciate.

Thanks everyone - iOS coming as soon as we possibly can!

10 Likes

Just a heads up guys – the iPad app was approved, and Apple says it’ll be available in the next few hours. We are all waiting!

9 Likes

It’s live!

2 Likes