Release date for iOS App?

That’s my understanding.

I appreciate that it isn’t possible to be super accurate with release dates, but can you please give a rough time window for all this, because us early adopters are soon, if not already, a quarter of the way through a year’s subscription without the promised “coming soon” iOS app, which is pretty essential for full enjoyment of Roon for many not using PC touchscreens, which I would think is most of us.

I’d also be very happy to be an early beta version guinea pig. Thank you.

2 Likes

I’m 100% certain staff won’t give you a rough date, but I’d be willing to say by the end of August, just by the bits and pieces of information I’ve seen on this and other threads.

No disrespect intended, Dr Tone, but you are merely adding to the speculation.

To quote Danny 28 days ago: “We are in final testing now for iOS, and it is our hope to submit to the Apple App Store in ~2 weeks.”

It seems to me that this app is falling further and further behind schedule. Now we’re told in this thread that it relies on version 1.1 which is at a “super early” stage - that seems to me like a significant move of the goalposts.

My problem with it all is that, as stated before, a good slice of my year’s subscription is being spent struggling with Splashtop and not the slick experience I expect using a tablet with what is, frankly, a very expensive annual fee for such a prematurely released product. I say prematurely as they clearly weren’t as close to iOS app release as their original website statements suggested, and which formed part of my decision to subscribe.

End of August, as you speculate, is pretty unacceptable in my view. I now expect someone will chip in and say that you can’t rush these things and we have to give them time etc, to which I will give my reply in advance that I don’t expect they’ll be giving me some more time to renew my subscription because they’ve failed to deliver the iOS app in what I would consider to be a reasonable period, i.e. somewhat less than two months after launch.

1 Like

Is audivarna an alternative way to control Roon from iOS?

Audirvana is of no use without a mac…

I have a Mac but don’t want iTunes as my library manager. I’d be interested in anyway to control room as a player from iOS, so please tell me more about how Audirvana integrates with Roon, if it does. Otherwise I am gonna have to put Roon on the shelf until iOS remote control is possible.

On a related note, it was discussed briefly that a Roon iPhone app to control playback was possible. Is that being included with the presently pending iOS release?

No disrespect, but It sounds like the iOS app is a deal breaker for you so you should probably request a refund and move on to something else. They won’t be able to give you the date you want and who knows more issues could arise in getting it out the door.

The 1.1 early stages comment is what made me think that 5 weeks is reasonable to deliver it.

Hey fritzg. I’m guessing that a “phone” oriented UX maybe in the strategic plan but I’m pretty sure not with this IOS release as we have not heard anyone say “phone” specifically. And I’m sure they would have been hyping that as an upcoming feature.

I sideloaded the android tablet version onto my Note 3 which is a big phone and will it works; you need really good vision to read the microscopic print.

Yep. iOS is a deal breaker for our family. They’ve been cut off from using the main system since I went with Roon for a while now. Roon’s music discovery is great, but with no iOS, the family is impatient. They can’t use Roon and see it’s benefits and they can’t play music. Bad situation.

1 Like

Yes I did the Galaxy Note 3 thing as well and found the same as you in terms of visuals, which I guess is fair enough as it is a phone with a relately small screen compared with a tablet. What it did do, however, was to show how much slicker it was to operate Roon on my laptop via a mobile device and made me want to be able to use the iOS app even more to derive the best bang for my bucks.

As Danny has mentioned elsewhere…the iOS app is in alpha. That will progress as fast as possible.

Other changes to the main server code are also in late stage test which are a pre-req for for the iOS app.

It won’t be long…a little patience still required. No point throwing too many toys out of the pram😎

My family also cannot access Roon easily at the moment so they use Roon’s predecessor. No real excuse for lack of music in the house.

Hi there, for the record yes I can see where you’re coming from with your guesstimate.

It’s too late to ask for a refund and I wouldn’t anyway, because I’m treating year one as a 365 day trial, in effect, as I can accept this concept will improve in time. If all works out then I’ll most likely become a lifer. If by then I still can’t do something as basic as playing the remainder of an album after selecting a certain album track then I’ll be walking…

Given how long the iOS app is taking, compared to the Android app, I do think an appropriate gesture of an extra month or two on the subscription wouldn’t go amiss.

How do they run Roon’s predecessor with Ronn running? The predecessor for us was JRiver, and having both of those running on a Mac Mini with both wanting total control of USB, well they haven’t played well together for me.

Roon needs all the power of our Mini to function by itself.

I’m not throwing toys out of the pram, but I do think it’s reasonable to be dissatisfied with the time it’s taking vs. the original “coming soon” statements.

I bought splashtop to use as a temporary remote while waiting for the remote app to be released. It works, but it’s not pretty. As a result I haven’t fired up Roon in more than a month.

Most developers I see don’t give timelines or release dates. Roon does, for the iOS remote, and I greatly appreciate that. In return I would give them this - that I would understand if release dates are postponed to get things right. I also don’t even mind using or testing a buggy beta release.

Nonetheless I do feel like ranting a bit to get it off my chest. First I was told it would be released in June. Next is that it would be submitted to the app store in July, but only on testflight. Now I’m told it had to wait for version 1.1 which is currently in super early stage. However I distinctly remember reading in another thread that 1.1 is mostly done and that they are merely doing the packaging and stuff. At this rate I don’t think the iOS remote will even be released in August. Roon is pretty - it is love at first sight - but no remote no deal. I’ll gladly pay for the iOS remote if it means early release. It is not about the money. Having 3 systems at home, the cost of an app is nothing in audiophile dollars. At this rate I’m almost certain to be buying the upgrade to Audirvana and its remote.

At the end of the day Roon still will not lose me as a customer (I subscribed for lifetime), but I certainly won’t be singing praises of it to my friends. And in the audiophile world, one cannot underestimate the importance of relying on word of mouth for a startup.

1 Like

I doesn’t help that one staff person is saying 1.1 is in early stages and another staff is saying it’s in late stage testing.

I felt that the lifetime commitment was too early, especially as the apps weren’t available at launch. I totally agree with you that the goalposts seem to have moved on the iOS app and that isn’t good at all.

I would have been reasonably OK with a launch before the end of June, but since then the app has been overdue as far as I am concerned.

I’m very close to a return to JRiver with JRemote.

Agreed 100%