Release RoPieee 2023.04

Hi All,

I’ve just released 2023.04! This is by RoPieee standards a rather large release.

First it contains a complete rewrite of RoPieee’s webpage: mainly driven by my own needs with respect to maintainability, it brings a few user improvements as well. It will largely go unnoticed (no large visual changes), but you’ll probably notice some changes in menu arrangements. Next step is making the webpage more mobile-friendly.

And then there’s support for a ‘WiFi-only’ release: you now can install a RoPieee unit without a wired connection. This is especially handy when running a Zero W 2, which does not have an ethernet connection and up until now required the use of an USB ethernet dongle during installation.

How does this work? When, during installation, RoPieee is not able to set up an internet connection, it will create a wireless Access Point (AP) with a network name like ‘RoPieee-AP-unique_id’. You can then join this wireless network from your device (the password is ‘goropieee’). When connected you can browse to 192.168.250.1 and you’ll see a webpage where you can select your wireless network. After providing the password the unit will reboot, connect to your wireless network, and continue the setup.

The rest of the stuff is the usual ‘all over the place’: improvements, software updates and so on. Here’s the changelog:

• NEW: basic support for Wireless Access Point during installation
  • NEW: [XL] HQPlayer: add support for custom service name
  • IMPROV: [XL] update HQPlayer NAA
  • IMPROV: [XL] update UPnP Bridge (squeeze2upnp)
  • IMPROV: update Raspberry Pi wireless firmware
  • IMPROV: show ‘update available’ message on display
  • IMPROV: show version in update message
  • IMPROV: new webpage
  • IMPROV: native DSD support for miniDSP MCHStreamer

As usual the role-out of this update is staged: it can take up to 24 hrs before the update shows up on your unit. You just need to be patient :wink:

As always, enjoy!

33 Likes

Thanks @spockfish. Looking forward to trying out RoPieee on my new Holo Red when it shows.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: DigiONE stopped working

Just to be clear, did this mean to say “without a wired” connection? Or “with a wireless”?

oh… duh…

“without a wired”

2 Likes

Hello @spockfish, I’m having a spot of bother setting up an RPI 3A+, I have it wired at the moment, it showed up on ropieee.local once then when I tried to reboot it after renaming it and setting the time zone, it would not show up again, do you have any advice?

Many thanks

Nathan

Thanks for the new version Harry. It sounds great. I was worried that my USBridgeSig (XL) may no longer work once the Linux kernel went from 5 to 6 but maybe you haven’t uswed 6 yet?
I seem to have found a little bug though - On the advanced tab, when I hit SHUTDOWN, the pi reboots itself.

2 Likes

Hi Harry, I was just prompted to update one of my devices. After the update, my dashboard looks different in such a way to make me wonder if maybe the installation did not go correctly. Here is a screenshot:

Is that how it’s supposed to look? The “XL” is gone and the RoPieee logo is now in grayscale as opposed to colour. It is working correctly though.

My second device has not prompted me to update, even after rebooting it.

As always, thank you for your work.

Best,
Dameon

Hi Dameon,

This is exactly as it should look like :wink:

I’ve ditched both the red logo and also the XL specific branding.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

When you rename it please me sure you also access it differently.

So ‘ropieee.local’ becomes ‘my_new_name.local’, where ‘my_new_name’ is the name you gave the device.

Thanks

Hi Tony,

No still on 5.15.
I’ve got a ‘golden rule’ that I wait at least until .40 of a new stable kernel before I switch. Right now the churn on the new kernel is just too big for my taste :wink:

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Harry, thanks for that, all my devices are updated and play well!

PS: sent you a donation for your always excellent work!

1 Like

Confirmed.

1 Like

Hi, I did a clean install on Pi4 and booted without wired connection. After connecting via wireless I get the prompt to select the network, but the dropdown is empty. Any idea? Regards

i don’t think you can scan for available WiFi networks while your device is in AP mode; manually enter your WiFi’s SSID & password.

Agree, it is just that the input field is configured as / behaves as dropdown menu and does not allow text entry, not in Safari and not in Chrome, neither iPhone not Mac. So to me it seems impossible to enter the WiFi network SSID. Are there other ways to enter the SSID?

Same here: the Network field cannot be used for any SSID input.

Can this be remedied?

Sorry, I need to correct myself: after joining Ropiee’s WiFi AP, it restarts and that takes a long time. During the restart process, the field for Network SSID remains inactive. After the restart process is completed, the Network field indeed changes to a drop-down menu and existing WiFi networks are displayed.

One thing, though, my network name contains double space in its name and this leads to partial display of my WiFi network. I am checking if the Raspi is able to login into this ‘truncated’ network name. So far it seems unable to join the network.

Could the drop-down menu be changed to also accept network names with spaces in between?

Thanks for your help!

Br, Paul

That’s not correct. You can scan while being in AP mode.

Can you try reloading the page? It will force a wireless rescan.