Release RoPieee 2023.09

no connection with http and cable
not possible with IP4 address 192.168.0.181 and not possible by name (ropieee-display)

With cable attached… did you restart the unit?

yes (10 char)

hmmmm… strange. It’s sound more and more as a ‘borked’ unit: if you can’t reach the web-interface something is seriously wrong.

I’m afraid the only option I see right now is a reflash.

Oh… can you try one more thing: visit ‘ropieee.local’. Maybe, for some strange reason, the unit returned to it’s initial settings.

I already tried to use ropieee.local :frowning:

I will reflash and reconfigure the device.

Let’s hope that my issue is a single one :crossed_fingers:

RoPieee is working again. Reflash was the solution.
Thanks for your support.

1 Like

:+1: reflash often worked for me

Can you force the update? I’m still on 2023.07.1 (1068) [stable]

Does it even matter if I only use ropieee as a Roon endpoint, and rarely if ever encounter problems? :grinning:

Hi @spockfish
I have just updated to this latest version but I had some issues which it might be useful to be aware of.
Before this I was running the previous version of ropieeexl.

My setup is a raspberry pi 4/IQaudIOPi-DigiAmp+ with a display (display zone is the same as the device zone). My chosen name in Roon for the ropieeexl Pi was ‘Kitchen Pi’ (as it sits in the kitchen).

After the update I got this message in the display

However, bizarrley, the Pi played sounds quite happily but continued to display this message.
I checked what I thought was obvious. Couldn’t find anything and so decided I may as well reflash.

Before reflashing I took a screenshot of all the ropieee admin pages so I could make sure I got everything set as before.

I didn’t spot at the time that the Host Name (system >> host name in the ropieee web interface) had changed to ropieeexl so when I updated the settings after reflashing I entered it as ropieeexl. Not surprisingly I still got the same message as there is no such host/zone in my Roon setup (which I should have spotted before I tried reflashing).

Realising what had happened I tried updating the host name to "Kitchen Pi’ but the field wouldn’t accept the entry (due to the space).

However I am pretty certain it did on the previous XL version as this is the zone name since I first set up ropieeexl some months back.

So I changed the zone name in Roon and in the ropieee interface to KitchenPi and saved the config and rebooted. Now the message changed to zone not found (even though it would still play. But of course I had failed to change the display Roon Control Zone (which does accept a space in the control zone name) to match the new host name and Roon zone name.
Having got that right everything worked again.

I appreciate that having a space in a zone name might not be best practice but it is acceptable within Roon.

In any event this is a wonderful piece of work and your huge investment of time is really awesome. I hope what I have written makes sense and I just thought it worth raising here in case anyone else runs into the issue.

Thanks Harry :pray:

still waiting for the update here … pi3 currently on RoPieeeXL 2023.07.1 (1071)

feedback sent … b64f807980f62ed8

no problem if reflash is needed, but for now will wait a bit longer at current state

[ update Oct1, got the update, reflash avoided … :sweat_smile: ]

That’s not bizar. The display functions independently of the audio functionality.

The hostname has nothing to do with the zone name.

Yes, in the new version I’ve made that field a little bit more restricted. Although technically hostnames with spaces are supported, I’ve seen quite a few cases where this has led to confusion, hence the restriction. But again, this has nothing to do with zone names in Roon.

This is also acceptable in RoPieee. But again, a zone name is something completely different then a hostname. To give you an idea, I’ve got a unit which hostname is ‘ropieee4’, and the zone name for the display is set to ‘Hugo2’.

On the display we’re talking about zone name. And yes, that has to match with how you named the zone(s) in Roon. And yes, that may contain spaces.

Hopes this clarifies it a bit!

Best regards,
Harry

You cannot force an update.

Hehe. Well, at least that’s the whole idea of RoPieee: it should be reliable at all times.
But in general I would say: keep a little bit up-to-date. And if you need support you can imagine what my first question is :wink:

Anyways, can you send me feedback? You can find that on the ‘advanced’ tab and I’m interested why your unit is not showing you an update message.

Thanks

Hi Harry

Yes, stupid of me, of course the host name is the network name not relating to Roon zone in anyway.
Also checking my bookmarks I did have it as ropieeexl (so there was no space in t rename which would be a bad idea I agree) so even after the reflash if I had entered everything correctly (as per my screen shots of settings) it should have just worked but I think by that stage I was just confused as to what was going on.

And I forgot that to get things working after reflash I had removed authorisation for all Ropieee extensions of which I found around 3…

Anyway never had an upgrade issue before so I’ll put it down to something somewhere in my Roon install and/or me just not proceeding carefully enough.

Thanks as ever for your help Harry

1 Like

in order to update Allo USBridge to 2023.07.1 I had to dowload and re-flash the right image from your Download page, as the automatic downloaded update had the clicks problems.

now , for 2023.09 (1122), I launched the update from the alert from the main page and all seems well.

For future updates, will the right image for USBridge be pulled with no intervention on our part?

thx

Yes. No intervention needed.

great, thanks!

I’ve got the same no display issue with the correct display, etc, that worked up until now, but I do still have network access to it. It’s just not bringing up the display anymore.

I got the update now.

1 Like

Hi @spockfish

Any changes to the aggressive update notification flashing on Ropieee Touchscreen ?

Add an option to disable this ? Or just have it fixed/static, instead of flashing ?

It is really distracting :frowning:

1 Like

I suffer from the same - and don’t have a cardreader any more :frowning:
Reboot several times - device is answering for ping - even force to switch to another IP did not solve.
access with IP over browser says : ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

So I will need reflash - to bad (first time, an update did not work.)