Remote computer can't find the remote library

I have set up Roon for remote connections but when I start Roon on the remote computer and try to connect, it can’t find the remote library. However, if I restart Roon on the computer with the library while the remote copy is still searching for the library it finds it immediately.

I would expect that I shouldn’t have to restart the software everytime I want to reconnect remotely.

Furthermore, the software won’t start when I am in a remote desktop session. Once I start it though it runs fine in a remote desktop session.

Hopefully things that will get fixed quickly otherwise this software is a non-starter for me.

@DaQi. I’m having the same issue you are as well. My remote computer can’t find the remote library. I’ve checked everything and all is in order otherwise.

Hey guys, any chance there are firewalls involved here, on either the main installation side or the remote?

If you don’t mind, can you try turning off any firewalls running on either side, and let us know if things improve?

I’m confident we can get this working guys, but this is an important first troubleshooting step, so thanks for your patience guys.

What OS are you running?

@mike. I just checked. No firewalls on the main installation side or the remote.

Windows 8.1

Ok, thanks guys. @vova and I are going to follow up via PM to gather some logs and take a look at what’s going on.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience!

@DaQi, @vomdmdiv tell us more about your Setup: specs of the core and remotes, OS they are running and more info about your network. This info can help us to nail down the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you in advance.

Hi @vova,

I have already discontinued my trial and uninstalled the software. Cool idea but not quite ready and I don’t have the time to fiddle with it. I replied to the PM separately.

What is your e-mail address?

my name @roonlabs.com

Hello,

There’s no firewall on my server and it and Roon functioned properly last night, but today I keep getting "Roon is taking longer to load & can’t locate the library – but I’ve made no changes to anything. I have rebooted the CAD CAT server 3 times as well as my iPad to no avail. That has worked in the past. I emailed for help to Roon and thus far have had no response.

This is a dedicated music server running on a modified Windows OS with everything not applicable to audio disabled- no virus software, email, etc. it is hard wired to a router extender which accesses my network. Again, nothing was altered from when my system worked last night. I wonder if Roon has made some system update which is causing this problem???

I find it very frustrating to have to ferret through miscellaneous “situations” hoping to find one close enough with SPECIFIC instructions which would be applicable to my problem(s) given that I am close to clueless with computer ‘stuff’ beyond the most rudimentary… like turning it on ; )

So thanks in advance for some help…[quote=“mike, post:5, topic:537, full:true”]
Hey guys, any chance there are firewalls involved here, on either the main installation side or the remote?

If you don’t mind, can you try turning off any firewalls running on either side, and let us know if things improve?

I’m confident we can get this working guys, but this is an important first troubleshooting step, so thanks for your patience guys.
[/quote]

strong text

Bruce

I’ve got what I think is the same issue. Roon core is on an IMac running latest OS. Opens and plays fine. When a song is playing, the remote (on either an iPad 3 or i phone 6) functions. But as soon as it stops the remote loses connection and won’t reconnect until I go back to the iMac and press play for more music. Any ideas? There are no firewalls. Didn’t have this problem with the iPad until the latest release.

Dear Roon team, using the Linux version of RoonServer the checkbox in the settings for “Accept connections from remotes” has obviously disappeared. Unfortunately I’m therefore not able to connect via an iOS remote to Roonserver running on an Linux system. Is this something that will be corrected in one of the next updates or are there technical reasons that generally don’t allow a remote connection?

Many thanks
P

As Roonserver would need a remote connection in any case, there’s no switch in the server version – remote connections are enabled by default.

Something else must be the matter – firewalls and network config are the prime suspects. Anything special about your network/Wifi? Can you tell us a little more about your Linux server?

Roon network connectivity is driving me crazy …
Current issue (all 1.3 build 259)

• Mac (or iPhone) with Roon “frontend”
  • PC (Win10, 64bit, 10.0.15063, with Roon Core (and Roon “frontend”)

Mac can ping PC, and remotely connect to PC
PC can play “locally” (frontend started, finding local server)
Mac and PC connected on same network with 2 Asus RT-AC5300 (1 access point, 1 media bridge).

On Mac and iPhone: “Waiting for remote Core …” (or infinite search if I select “chose your core”)

Firewalls turned off on all devices, Windows 10 and Mac OS.

The bummer: Everything worked fine 30 minutes ago. Didn’t touch anything. PC (with Roon Core) last rebooted 8 hours ago as part of ongoing Roon troubleshooting - which I spent 5 hours on yesterday.

At this point my wife is telling me that she has had it with Roon and politely asking to go back to Squeezebox.
:frowning:

P.S.: as I wrote this, Roon Core is visible again to the other devices. This is how it usually goes. But not acceptable to listen to music, which will most often stop in the middle of a track, then wait for 5-20 minutes, then Roon may be back up …

Picture to illustrate:
On my Mac, Roon can’t find remote core (on PC).
Same network. No firewalls of any kind (Windows and Mac OS firewalls turned off).
Screenshot shows PC remotely (via Splashtop) running Roon - again: same network (see IP addresses), and definitely connected (Ping works, Splashtop works, …).
?

Roon connectivity works intermittently and then stops working, even in the middle of a song.
Takes a long time to recover.

Not sure where to start looking. Happy to share log files etc. Help would be much appreciated.
I already spent money to put in a new access point to make sure there are no hardware issues with the wireless network components …

P.S.: My iPhone also doesn’t see the Roon Core … (right now)

I’ve had the same issue for as long as I can remember but put it down to my server being connected wirelessly to the rest of the network. It is frustrating though, when you have perfect connection and functionality from a remote and then suddenly you get the ‘taking longer to connect than expected’ message. Even when inputting the servers IP address manually doesn’t help.
Restarting core or remotes doesn’t seem to fix this, nothing I’ve tried within the Roon ecosystem seems to aleviate the issue at all which is super frustrating when I have guests and we suddenly can’t access and affect the queue. This leads me to believe that something to do with my network is the issue but I don’t know how to troubleshoot it.
I have Plex Server running too and it’s remotes never loose connection.

1 Like