Remote Connection drops on iPad

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK on NUCi7 Version 1.7 Build 710 Stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Spectrum Cable Modem - Hitron E31N2V1
Spectrum Broadband Router - Sagemcom FAST 5280 broadband router
ASUS wireless switches RT AC66UB1 AC1750 Dual Band Router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

EndPoint is Auralic Vega G2, wired ethernet, always works fine
Remote 1 is Windows PC, wired, this always works fine
Remote 2: iPad 7th generation Software version 14.2

Description Of Issue

Longstanding problem that I’m now resolved to get fixed.

Roon remote on iPad regularly drops out. I get the “Remote Connection. Waiting for Remote Core…” and waiting …and waiting. Several minutes. Then it will reconnect. This happens several times in a listening session.

Meanwhile Roon keeps running fine and the music is playing.

I have run through your basic troubleshooting. Remote and Core are on the same network and subnet. Core never drops out.

I’ve seen this issue in the Forum but didn’t find a simple, clear solution.

Lifetime subscriber.

Does

2 wired connections, no problem
1 Wireless connection problem

give a hint ?

I have a similar setup, wired core to router, wired End Point, iPad Pro WiFi but no real issue

I have a WiFi repeater in my listening room

Maybe sit close to the router for a while and see if the problem goes away. It is more likely the WiFi signal rather than Roon per se

1 Like

I thought the problem lay with the Roon app, as I always had wifi in my listening room and never had a problem with other apps (like internet browsers) or my phone dropping out.

But the Roon app must be particularly sensitive to the strength of the wifi signal.

So I checked, using my phone, and at times and places the signal strength drops from good to fair.

I installed a wireless access point (a wireless extender/repeater device but set to work as a WAP, as I have wired internet in the room).

With a “line of sight” wifi connection (always super strong), the Roon remote app is now totally stable and doesn’t drop out.

So Mr. O’Neill’s logical suspicion was exactly correct, and the problem is solved.

2 Likes

Hello @Nick_McCully, glad things are working again! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Logical … I watch too much StarTrek , Spock my hero :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Glad it’s fixed, it so frustrating

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.