Remote Connection problem

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, Roon 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Router TP link TL-WR1043N, wireless access point Netgear R8000

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

PS Audio Perfectwave dac

Description Of Issue

Approx 6 months ago I upgraded to fibre and changed my router to the TP Link from that point I have been unable to use the Ipad as a remote .
I can play music directly from the core PC
Roon remote is unable to find the core
I have tried with the firewall disabled and enabled
I have checked the subnet
I have installed Fing network scanner on one Ipad and it can see the core PC on the network map.
So unsure where to go from here
Some help would be appreciated thanks

Hi @Jonathan_Poppleton,

Welcome to the forum.

As per our Networking Best Practices Guide, a similar model router requires special settings applied to it:

Netgear R7000

We recommend disabling the “Enable Smart Connect” setting.

Can you give that a try?

Also, how is the Core connected in this setup, are you using WiFi or Ethernet? Is the behavior the same if you plug the Core in via Ethernet to the same router or access point that the iPad is using? Are both the Core and the iPad on the same subnet (as in the IP address is the same except for the last 3 digits)?

Thanks for the response, I have a R8000 not the R7000 could not see the "enable smart connection " mentioned in the R7000 router settings
the core is connected via ethernet as is the R8000 the core is via a switch the R8000 is directly to the TP Link main router
Yes the Ipad and the core have the same subnet

Hi @Jonathan_Poppleton,

What kind of switch are you using, can you let me know the model/manufacturer? Can you check to see if “multicast” is enabled in the router/switch?

How exactly have you disabled your firewall? I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path. I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have.

Thanks for the help , I think it was the RAATserver access , very strange that it was a firewall problem , when I had disabled the firewall and the problem was still present.
thanks again

1 Like

Hi @Jonathan_Poppleton,

Thanks for the update here, glad to hear the issue is solved!