Remote connection to core

I use a microrendu1.4 to my Audio GD NOS dac. I use my sonictranporter as the roon server. And I use my cell phone a google pixel as my remote. I constantly have remote problems. The WiFi signal is very strong and the internet connection is about 200mb down and 20 up. many times the remote (cellphone) cannot connect to the core. The screen reads initiating but will not connect. The strange thing is if I was connected and using Roon the system will continue to play music so I assume Roon is still connected to the core and dac. Please advise. I have tried different tablets (android and ios) with the same results.

Sorry the remote screen reads initializing.

Hi @steven_dorfman ----- Thank you for the PM and sharing your observations with us. Sorry to hear of the troubles. We typically try to handle any support related questions on the “support” thread of the community site so other users have access to any information/tips being shared, should it provide useful to them as well. Would you mind if I made this PM a public post and we can continue troubleshooting. Let me know.

In the mean time, to help aide in our understanding of this behavior you are experiencing with the mentioned remote device(s) may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• Please confirm that all devices are currently running the latest version of the application.

• Please describe your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding as to how your devices are communicating and the tools being utilized (router, switches, etc) that make those connections possible.

• During your troubleshooting of this behavior have you tried…

• Rebooting all of your equipment? This would include your core machine, remotes, and any relevant networking hardware (i.e router, switches, etc)?

• Does manually entering the IP address of the core machine on the remote device(s) ever reestablish the connection?

• Do either of the following tests re-establish the connection between the remote(s) and core:

TEST #1:

1. Shut down your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    (Tip: If you are using a iphone, make sure you keep it awake)
  3. Roon should be on the “Searching For Core” screen
  4. Start up the Core

TEST #2:

1. Start up your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    (Tip: If you are using a iphone, make sure you keep it awake)
  3. Kill the Roon app
    (Tip: If you are using Android please go to Settings > Apps > Roon > Force Stop)
  4. Restart Roon on on your Remote

-Eric

Eric I have tried both procedures many times. Is there a way you could do a diagnostic of my system?

Thank you for getting back to me @steven_dorfman, the follow up is appreciated!

In regard to your question about enabling diagnostics, I can certainly do this for you but if the remote is unable to communicate with the core machine we will not get any information on the device in the diagnostics report we receive. Being as music continues to play while the remote is unable to connect tells me that the core machine (i.e ST ) is still functioning as expected and that there is another variable (or variables) having influence on the performance of your remote devices. In order to be able to properly advise on this situation I will need the following:

From my previous:

• Please confirm that all devices are currently running the latest version of the application.
  • Please describe your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding as to how your devices are communicating and the tools being utilized (router, switches, etc) that make those connections possible.
  • During your troubleshooting of this behavior have you tried…
  1. Rebooting all of your equipment? This would include your core machine, remotes, and any relevant networking hardware (i.e router, switches, etc)?
  2. Does manually entering the IP address of the core machine on the remote device(s) ever reestablish the connection?

Continued…

• Have you tried reinstalling the application on the affected remote(s)?

-Eric

Eric the remote can communicate with the core but at times I will lose communication for sometimes minutes and also I get interruptions while playing songs but both are intermittent. I have reinstalled remote app and also tried multiple different devices.

@steven_dorfman ---- I have went ahead and enabled diagnostics on your account. The next time the application is active on both your core machine and the pixel a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will be automatically uploaded to our servers. I will confirm when we have received the report.

Furthermore, if you are experiencing dropouts in playback this almost always points to some kind of networking or hardware performance issue as mentioned in our knowledge base here. We had a case were a user was experiencing dropouts during playback and it ended up being caused by a failing drive in their NAS.

Lastly, being as you are experiencing these issues intermittently our team is certainly going to want to have the details of your network. As asked previously, please describe your network configuration/topology being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding as to how your devices are communicating and the tools being utilized (router, switches, etc) that make those connections possible.

-Eric

PS - Do you mind if I make this PM a public topic?

Eric I do not mind if you make this public. My system is a cable modem at 120mb down and 20mb up to a Linksys WRT 1900 ACS router connected with a supra cat 8 stp patch cable to a small green computer sonictransporter as the core. This is connected to another room to a microRebdu v1.4 with a 15 ft. supra cat 8 stp patch cable. the with uptones uspcbto a iso-regen and Phasure lush usb cable to a Audio GD NOS 11 DAC. All listening is through Roon by way of Tidal. .

Hi @steven_dorfman ----- Thank you for touching base with me and providing that information. Both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, I wanted to touch base with you in order to confirm that the mentioned diagnostics report was received and passed over to our tech team, along with your setup details, for evaluation. Once my report has been updated and passed back I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you in a timely manor. Your patience while the team conducts their analysis is appreciated.

-Eric

Hi @steven_dorfman ----- Thank you for your patience while the team has been analyzing the information contained in the received diagnostics report.

Moving forward, the team has informed me that they are seeing numerous traces in the Roon logs that point to networking troubles (i.e DNS errors and consistent connecting/re-connecting messages for remote devices/endpoints). Do you ever experience any issues when using the TIDAL application outside of Roon?

Furthermore, besides the mentioned modem and router (Linksys WRT1900ACS) are there any other networking devices active in your setup? Additionally. can you verify that the firmware on the WRT1900ACS is up to date.

-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: Remote connection problems