ethernet > ultraRendu > USB > DAC
(2x) ethernet > microRendu > USB > DAC
EDIT: For clarification to those not familiar with the Rendu’s, all above units are fed ethernet and connect to DACs over USB.
Number of Tracks in Library
As I cannot access Roon right now, I will answer that the physical library is very small (<200 albums), but I have added a healthy number of albums to my library (still <500 albums) from Qobuz and Tidal.
Description of Issue
A couple of hours after updating, I can no longer connect to my Roon Core from any of my remotes. This includes iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro. I have tried restarting everything (core server, remotes, internet and wifi routers) and my network and internet are fine otherwise. I have also tried unplugging all devices for several minutes then plugging back in and starting up. No change. In the many years I have been using Roon, this is the first time I have encountered this.
Correction: Roon on my Mac was not upgraded to 918, but iPhone and iPad were.
I set the MacBook Pro to be the Core and the remotes on iPhone and iPad were able to connect. At least for now. Remember that when I had initially upgraded the Roon Core on the sT to build 918 everything worked fine for a while. I was using them for about 30 minutes without issue. Then when I returned a couple of hours later they were no longer working.
I will check access to the MBP Core in a couple of hours…